Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Weed and Grass REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weed and Grass REMOVAL

I already told him about the goat but most people just ignore that, they want a chemical or a tool and won't consider using an animal in this day and age.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:20 PM
UG0TB4NN3D
My Feedback: (1)

An animal seems like it'd get in the way,. and how would you keep it contained if you didn't have a fence? I'm pretty sure the goat wouldn't be too happy with RC cars buzzing around its face. Lol.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 PM
cjg

The roundup will kill the weeds eventually - its what I use on mine. It can take 3-4 weeks unless you are using the fast version, which still takes about a week. It will definitively kill them but won't keep new growth. Products are available for the latter.

It's actually good that you used roundup and waited a few days for tilling. Now they should be good and dead. Good luck getting your money back. Any garden department will tell you roundup takes weeks to kill, but kill it does (unless you have genetically altered Roundup ready soybeans growing on your track!).
Old 05-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Access

Well it's not like the goat would live there all the time, seriously, someone who lives in the country could take the goat home during the week or keep it as a pet. Domestic goats can make good pets, they tend to be friendly, curious, and good with children. And they can provide milk and fertilizer for crops, etc. Just be sure not to get the goat through tower it is overpriced there even with the discounts it is more than double what you would pay elsewhere.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If roundup is taking 3~4 weeks to kill, then it's not being used properly or it's gone bad. It should show at least some wilting within a day and should be nearly or completely dead within a week to ten days. It is a systemic, so it spreads throughout the plant to kill. Because of that, it's not as quick as a contact herbicide(which work only on "green" plant parts on contact), but it's also less toxic to people and animals. If you really want to kill plants instantly, you need a good contact herbicide like Scythe or Reward, but then you'll probably need a pesticide applicator's license too...

..and I couldn't agree moreTower's goat prices are ridiculous[)]. Your local 4-H club can find you much better pricing, but the goats won't come with a stress-tech guarantee like the ones at Tower...
Old 05-06-2008, 09:26 AM
digifox

Paper...Yes paper, something i learned from my mom in a flower bed

lol

if you till up your track, and lay paper down and cover it with a layer of dirt(so you have a track surface) Nothing will grow though it...
And its bio-degradable so its not like plastic or something...may be a little work at the first of spring but you dont have to mess with it till next year
Old 05-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Wratherax

We took the weed killer back. That's 45 bucks back in my pocket. Don't get me wrong, the product wasn't a complete failure. You could see a difference in the areas that had been sprayed versus the areas that weren't, but the weeds weren't completely dying. Some started to lose their color. Much of it stayed green or started to turn green again.

I think I know why though. Tilling the ground was a huge massive royal pain in the butt. The ground was so thick with roots. I could barely till for 3 feet before I had to pull out the cluster's that were getting jammed in the tiller. This is a huge tiller too lol.. I'm talking industrial sized for a walk behind. I believe that's why the weeds weren't dying. The root system was far too thick for the chemicals to have a real effect.

Edit: It's also possible that they would have died eventually. It might have jsut been taking that long for the chemicals to get through that super thick root system.

Edit: The track is almost complete. It'll be finished tomorrow. I've decided that I will more than likely be salting the track as well. In fact, I bought a bag for 5 bucks and covered about 1/8th of the track with it... meaning it'll only cost about 40 bucks to cover the entire track in rock salt.. and it's fairly quick and easy to do. I'm going to wait until I know it's going to rain before I do the rest though. That 40 bucks is coming from the money we got back from returning the weed killer.

Can't wait til it's all finished. I really should have taken before and after pics >_<