Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

New guy that needs some simple advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New guy that needs some simple advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Cmdrofficer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy that needs some simple advice

Hello!

Im a RC Heli pilot, and usualy im restricted to that. Thats really what I take seriously, and I have alot of fun with it.

I have a 10 y/o Dave and Busters prize car (about your cheap K-Mart one or something), and it still works... mostly.

Well, I was thinking of getting a much higher performanced RC car soon, but it is out of my expertise. I know Nitros are awesome. Nitro helis are high performanced, and I have heard awesome things about the cars. However, Im an Eletric guy. No, im not much of an enviornmentalist[>:], however the mechanics and matinence should be much easier, plus theres the benefit of Acceleration as long as its a brushless motor, kinda like the tesla roadster. However, for a model car vs an actual car, I may be wrong. Im not looking for a starter car or beginners car, Im looking for a high-performance electric car that is affordible. I probably want it with brushless motor(s), and a Li-Po battery, back, front, or all wheel drive, and possible off roading equiptment (aka on residential grass, dirt roading, something of that matter).

Any comments and specific model names would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks Cmdrofficer.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: New guy that needs some simple advice

how much are you willing to spend? Do you want to build it or have ready to run where you dont have to build it?

No RC Cars come with Lipo batteries included. Most of them dont even come with batteries at all.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:18 PM
team carpet fire

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

how much are you willing to spend? Do you want to build it or have ready to run where you dont have to build it?

No RC Cars come with Lipo batteries included. Most of them dont even come with batteries at all.
you are wrong the now comes with 11.1v lipo batt
Old 06-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Cmdrofficer

price, eeh, ill check. Im interested in the most expensive state-of-the-art (though probably wont buy its very intriguing to me) to the cheapest yet high performance vheicle. Selections and choices are good when it comes to price.

I forgot about the RTF or ARF system.... My favorite RC Heli is the Trex 450 SA, yep, it was completely built.
I think I want to build it, but post some RTRs anyway.

As for sells with Li-Po, Just post some good brands i could buy for it.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Chris_RC

If you want to build a kit I would go with Tamiya. They have 100's of kits ranging from $80-$600. Go look them up on Tamiyausa.com and see what you like in the offraod section. Note that the kits are usualy 30% more expensive on their site than what you can get them for.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Cmdrofficer

Wow, thanks Chris! I do have several local Hobby shopps, so Ill check them out there too. Buut... for choices sake, what are some other good companies?
Old 06-26-2008, 07:34 PM
fm2h3

look at tower hobbies.com
they have almost every rc product ever XD
Old 06-26-2008, 07:42 PM
twomanytoys

Losi is a great brand and just came out with teh speed t brushless stadium truck. Supposed to be a 65+ mph truck.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:54 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check out Team Associated and HPI. Traxxas is viewed as more of a beginner's brand, but don't discount their products either - they are generally tough as nails and can handle lots of power. In addition to poking around the Tower Hobbies site, also check out A-Main Hobbies and Ultimate Hobbies. Those two carry some of the Horizon distributed brands that Tower doesn't.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:01 AM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: Cmdrofficer

Hello!

Im a RC Heli pilot, and usualy im restricted to that. Thats really what I take seriously, and I have alot of fun with it.

I have a 10 y/o Dave and Busters prize car (about your cheap K-Mart one or something), and it still works... mostly.

Well, I was thinking of getting a much higher performanced RC car soon, but it is out of my expertise. I know Nitros are awesome. Nitro helis are high performanced, and I have heard awesome things about the cars. However, Im an Eletric guy. No, im not much of an enviornmentalist[>:], however the mechanics and matinence should be much easier, plus theres the benefit of Acceleration as long as its a brushless motor, kinda like the tesla roadster. However, for a model car vs an actual car, I may be wrong. Im not looking for a starter car or beginners car, Im looking for a high-performance electric car that is affordible. I probably want it with brushless motor(s), and a Li-Po battery, back, front, or all wheel drive, and possible off roading equiptment (aka on residential grass, dirt roading, something of that matter).

Any comments and specific model names would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks Cmdrofficer.
If you want a quality product stick with brands like

xray
losi
mugen
team assosiated

there are others but those come to mind

Since your a heli pilot you probably know about thunder tiger, they make off-road and on-road trucks too.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Matt_Gruizinga
My Feedback: (1)

well if budget isn't much of a problem... go for the e-revo or the e-firestorm, that is saying you want a 1/10 you could also check out some of the new style like desert trucks and pro trucks. really the brushless motorrs that come stock are either geared to high so they burn out or they are just junk,in my opion. what i would do is buy a rolling chassis (no eletronics) and install the electronics off your choice, the can bring the overall cost down substancialy. look around and find out what you like, standium trucks or monster trucks or minis.....or whatever, that can help us give you better suggestions
Old 06-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Cmdrofficer

ORIGINAL: Matt_Gruizinga

look around and find out what you like, standium trucks or monster trucks or minis.....or whatever, that can help us give you better suggestions
Good point, ill try to specify that immediately

ORIGINAL: Nitro_NOS

You may like the Bandit better, as it is a buggy and has a lower center of gravity, better for street driving.
I was talking about that with some of my RC-Car racing friends too, I think im gonna push for a buggy for that exact reason. Can a buggy go on a dirt track as well as a street track?
Old 06-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Nitro_NOS

I have the Traxxes Brushed Motor Rustler, and I like it. Pretty strong> They make a brushless Rustler for around 250. I saw it in my local hobbyshop the other day. You can get it up to 75 mph with a $150 battery. You may like the Bandit better, as it is a buggy and has a lower center of gravity, better for street driving.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:28 AM
RCtruckRacer

Money no object? And you want state of the art? Check some of the trucks these guys put out: [link]http://www.finedesignrc.com/ct-finedesign.asp[/link]
Old 07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Cmdrofficer

ORIGINAL: RCtruckRacer

Money no object? And you want state of the art? Check some of the trucks these guys put out: [link]http://www.finedesignrc.com/ct-finedesign.asp[/link]
Id say.... Amazing-ly priced lol. But, they are awesome. Thx man, liked seeing that

check for my edit above, by accident ofc.

ORIGINAL: Nitro_NOS

You may like the Bandit better, as it is a buggy and has a lower center of gravity, better for street driving.
And I said probably i want to go for a buggy if you dont feel like scrolling up.
Oh, and i asked "Can a buggy go on a dirt track and a street track?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
thetoptanner
My Feedback: (2)

Hey, just go to youtube and search for brushless VXL and check the videos out. These new brushless cars and trucks have all the power you could need. They can tote the front wheels on demand with the right battery. These things really almost have too much power for practicle use.