Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Hex adapter question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hex adapter question...

Is there an adapter to make a 17mm hex rim from a 1/8th truggy/buggy fit a 1/10th MT2 truck? I converted the MT2 to electric and wanted to run a larger diameter wheel like from a 1/8th buggy, and was hoping to be able to use my 17mm hex rims that I already have from my two GS storms.

I find the stock 2.2 tires grab too much, so I'm using 1.9's from my TA02 and there more what I want but need them taller to increase top speed and get better handling...

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-14-2008, 03:54 PM

Default RE: Hex adapter question...

Get a 17mm hex. It isn't that difficult unless the hex's are attached to the axles and can't be changed. The hex should come off, then there should be a pin.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:05 PM

Thanks for responding Metallover, but the problems are the hex's on the GS storm are held on with set screws and are very different then conventional hex design, and the output shaft hole on a 17mm hex is quite a bit larger then a 1/10th scale and is too sloppy...

I was hoping there was an aftermarket hex that was specifically designed to do this mod. I looked for a bit but came up with nuthin.. maybe it was never thought of? I believe 1/8th scale buggy tires and rims would work way better then the stock 2.2's on a 1/10th scale, imo.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:25 AM

I have a brushless mt2 and was thinking about the same thing, I found these

http://www.rcpcrawlers.com/product.p...&cat=20&page=1

they have been out of stock for a little over a month however so I haven't got to try them yet.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:01 PM

BINGO! Thats exactly what I was lookin for. Sweet find J.D.T!

Li'll expensive, but thats the price we pay for rare parts I guess...[>:]

I'm gonna see how difficult (and expensive) it will be to get someone to machine a set out of aluminum for me.

Off topic kinda, but what motor/esc combo as well as type and voltage of batteries are you using for your MT2 J.D.T? Oh, and how did you end up mounting your battery(s)?

Im currently in the mock-up stage, drivable, but not completely the way I want it. Im currently running a 20t brushed motor and esc from some duratrax, its a nice cheap way to get everything setup and rolling. I was thinkin a 4600kv Mamba system would work nicer then the 5700 since Im still using the stock sper and a modded pinion, (I pressed a broken clutch pinion onto a regular electric pinion to make it work) gearing will remain an issue. At least till someone mass produces specifically made pinions for 24 pitch gearing that is... I know of one company, but I think they only do the 5mm shaft...

I wanna build it to kill my e-jato since its the fastest (controllable) RC I currently got. The pede could go faster but it tends to be very unstable at 55-65mph. Im reluctant to lower it, more fun to jump it then race it, lol. The MT2 should take the racing better without sacrificing its ground clearance so I can jump it too.

Anyhow, thanks for your help!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:02 AM

I never did get the pics of version 2 yet but here is the first version, I made the battery box out of sheet metal and then covered it in sticky back hobby foam from Joanns fabrics, works and looks great, alot of guys will cry about the stand up battery being bad for cg but is still about a 25% improvement over the stock nitro setup(and provides a much better roll center than the batter laying down and hanging out the side, I fabricated both styles btw) I started off with the mamba 5700 but it tended to run a little hot even on just 2s, I tried multiple combos but the motor I have settled on thus far is a feigao 7 short can brushless rated at 5070 kv, with a fan its fine (under 160 all the time on 2s)and a little stronger than the mamba motors, I got 1/8 bore pinions from rc monster, my 5mm pinions are actually from Century helicoptor, I have many set of tires, many are near 4 inches like the dirt works pictured, for this I usually gear 52/12 for general 2s and up to 10 nimh for bashing, with the nearly 5 inch masher 2000s I run 52/10 but that really puts the stress on the drivetrain and I have killed a few sets of spider gears in the rear diff even on just 2s when bashing super hard. I have tried lower kv motors and 3s and even 4s and decided the 2s is the funnest to play with, the 3 and 4s setups are very crazy, thus far I got a top speed of 74 mph, running a 1930/7 lehner 2986 kv on 4s, I think it was geared 49/14 on that setup, just stupid fast and the first time it wheeled and I didn't back off it rose onto one rear wheel and blew the rear diff apart, HPI has a spool coming out so I hope to get that soon also to limit sprider gear failures, My ring and pinion are always fine, just blows up the spider gears, I could always try to loosen the slipper but I can' bring myself to give away any of that sweet brushless power lol. My second version has a homemade motor mount that don't look quite as good as the blue anodized mini quake 540 mount pictured here but the new version works better, ties into the brake mounting holes on the center gear holder for no flex.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:04 AM

forgot the link lol

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64...tm.htm#6474031

go down the page a bit, silver and black mt2 with 6-8 pics, also a writeup on rc zone under JDT, not J.D.T as I am here but you will need to be a member of rc zone to find it or see the pics.