Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

GRRRRRR Hobbytown

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GRRRRRR Hobbytown

/rant on

Okay so I head over to the local HobbyTown and pick up some Metallic Blue paint, Reflective White (for the final coat over the blue) and a Porche 911 body for my NitroRazor. I get it home, clean out the body with some water and dish detergent, make sure it's all dry and attempt to start to spray. I shook the rattlecan for about 10 mins before starting and I do the spoiler with a nice coat. I move onto the body content with my decision and out spurts big blobs of paint on the inside of the body. Now I can't wipe them off or paint over them as they'll show. The body is ruined and there are spots all over. I call them up and they tell me to bring it back tomorrow because they're closing in about 5 mins. I'm hoping they can give me a new body and a new can of paint. Talk about putting a wrench in your plans

/rant off

sorry for venting, just needed to get that out.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:02 AM

well always spray the paint on a test surface silly (I know you dont want to hear that right now, but hey, sometimes you gotta learn lessons the hard way.) I kinda doubt they will givwe you a new body but who knows. if they do it will redeem them from all the bad stuff I have heard about them on these forums.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:04 AM

I don't think they'll do any more than look at it and offer advise. Since the spray can sprayed the first time. Nozzles clog up when not in use even if it's for 5 minutes. Always soak them before use to make sure tehy are empty and always do a spray test before going to your body. May be able to use some thinner and pull the spots off.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by spadworld
I don't think they'll do any more than look at it and offer advise. Since the spray can sprayed the first time. Nozzles clog up when not in use even if it's for 5 minutes. Always soak them before use to make sure tehy are empty and always do a spray test before going to your body. May be able to use some thinner and pull the spots off.
well the funny thing is, and you can see this on the can and if they attempt to spray it, it doesn't even shoot out the nozzel. I went back and tested it on some newspaper and it's coming from underneath the nozzle, like the little pipe that goes up out of the can into the nozzle.

The guy asked me what I wanted him to do, I told him to replace the body and the paint, he said they could replace the paint but not the body, I told him it was HIS can of paint that caused the body to be ruined, so they had best replace it. I had tested it before spraying the body, I sprayed a few times into the air to see which way it was blowing so as not to get any on myself, and it came out fine.

I dunno, now that I look at it the can looks kind of old, probably old stock or something that they had laying around. I guess I'll have to settle with buying stuff online
Old 05-22-2003, 04:37 AM

What are you talking about? Hobbytown doesn't make paint. If you've got a problem with the paint you should take it up with the manufacturer.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:38 AM

or clean the paint off with some brake fluid.. i've heard that it strips paint without damaging the body...
Old 05-22-2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Lythion
What are you talking about? Hobbytown doesn't make paint. If you've got a problem with the paint you should take it up with the manufacturer.
I know hobbytown doesn't make the paint, they just sell it, but come on, they had either A) old stock or B) crappy paint. I would think they'd at least stand behind their products and offer some compensation. If it was old stock, I can surely blame them, they should either drop that line of paint if it doesn't sell or remove old stock.

I would take it up with the manufacturer but what will they do? Get me another can of paint? Will they replace the $20 I spent on the body? Sure it's only $20 and I could have just put it off as a lesson learned and gotten a new body, but what if it happens to me again, what if it happens to someone else? Maybe by me bugging HobbyTown about it they can check the other cans? Maybe they can pull that brand? Maybe it's an issue with that paint? I really don't know and can't say. I'll be back there later tonight after work and talk with the manager. I talked to him on the phone last night before I posted this and he seemed eager to help me and rather upset at what had happend.

I know when I paint computer cases for people, if I send one out and someone finds an issue, or something happens where paint flakes off, etc. I'll re-do it or replace it. I don't tell that person to goto the paint vendor. If at most he gives me a new can of paint and maybe a discount on a new body I'd be happy. I can keep the ruined one and maybe attempt to clean it up and still have a good one to paint? I'll find out tonight and keep ya all posted.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:17 PM
My Feedback: (2)

right afte ryou painted it you shoulda trie some denatured alcohol to get the body clean again.

as far as hobbytown not making the part.......your right jpe they should stand behind the crap they sell. if they dont they are bums and you should take your business elsewhere.hobbytown is a huge corporation and they are 100% able to get you a new can of paint and a new body.
its called customer relations. they have more than that amount stolen each day, so "giving" one out is only right.

and flying you said do a test coat?
he said he already did the rear wing and had moved onto the body so at one point the paint can was working fine.

are you going to HobbyTown today to see if they give you new paint and a body? let us knwo what they say.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Paint removal

You can remove paint with lacquer thinner, this works very well with Pactra paint.
I have removed paint from an entire body and repainted it before using lacquer thinner.
Be careful of the type of body though as some are not as tough as others and the lacquer could melt the plastic. If its a HPI body then you will be fine.
If you use the thinner it has to be lacquer thinner, use a toothe brush and a rag to remove it, it will get messy. You will have to use a good amount also as the paint will not move if its not in the presence of the thinner.
You will notice that the body will develop a very cloudy appearance but this will not be visible once the new paint is applied.

Dbow
Old 05-22-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by jpetrusek
I know hobbytown doesn't make the paint, they just sell it, but come on, they had either A) old stock or B) crappy paint. I would think they'd at least stand behind their products and offer some compensation. If it was old stock, I can surely blame them, they should either drop that line of paint if it doesn't sell or remove old stock.

I would take it up with the manufacturer but what will they do? Get me another can of paint? Will they replace the $20 I spent on the body? Sure it's only $20 and I could have just put it off as a lesson learned and gotten a new body, but what if it happens to me again, what if it happens to someone else? Maybe by me bugging HobbyTown about it they can check the other cans? Maybe they can pull that brand? Maybe it's an issue with that paint? I really don't know and can't say. I'll be back there later tonight after work and talk with the manager. I talked to him on the phone last night before I posted this and he seemed eager to help me and rather upset at what had happend.

I know when I paint computer cases for people, if I send one out and someone finds an issue, or something happens where paint flakes off, etc. I'll re-do it or replace it. I don't tell that person to goto the paint vendor. If at most he gives me a new can of paint and maybe a discount on a new body I'd be happy. I can keep the ruined one and maybe attempt to clean it up and still have a good one to paint? I'll find out tonight and keep ya all posted.
Cool another Case modder ...if you went to Hobby people and had THEM paint it for you, and the an was defective, they would just tell you to buy a new one and a new can of paint. At least they were willing to refund your paint! I know its BS, cause I have had a number of cans that were defective out of the store I bought them from. Seems some people like to spray the can and see what the colors look like, Then they stickit back on the shelf and paint can harden behind the nozzel. It will work fine some of the time, then you get these little blobs. These people don't know anything about paint, and that you have to tip the can upside down and spray untill air comes out and no paint every time you put on a coat.