Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

A123 Racing Nanophosphate

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A123 Racing Nanophosphate

ORIGINAL: Austin Rice
What are A123 Racing Nanophosphate batteries and how do they compare to LiPos? I see ads for them in RC Driver magazines.
Is there such a thing as Nano-phosphate or is it just a myth / advertising gimmick? A few quarters of Inorganic Chemistry and I don't remember any "Nano-" Prefix being used for chemical composition. I know Phosphate is PO4 and can be 1-, 2-, or 3- but the only use in real science of "Nano" I can find is as a unit, 10^-9. I know some companies like to spew out junk science made up of futuristic sounding words b'cos a section of the population will take their word as gospel; but that doesn't mean the rest of us should just accept something that doesn't really exist. Anyone?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:00 PM

I think the name is a gimmic (Nano-Phosphate Lithium Ion), but there is a HUGE difference between A123 Systems battery cells and other Lithium Iron-Phosphate cells out there. A123 Systems cells are rated for 30C discharge while other rip-off brands are only rated for 10C discharge.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:27 PM

Sorry I forgot about shipping. Add one dollar per cell. Purchased August 11th. Perhaps since then they are becoming more popular and bids are going up. Or less are available. I haven't seen the prices of them lately, but have a few I started watching yesterday cause I might buy another pack.

I just took a quick look at a buy it now price for two dewalt packs. It was under 14 USD per cell shipped. Still not bad.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:46 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the "nano" moniker on these cells has anything to do with the chemistry, that part of is is marketing hype. I believe that the "nano" refers to the cell's internal structure taking advantage of nanotechnology in aligning the molecules on the cathode material somehow. I'm a hobbyist, not an EE or a chemist, so I don't claim to fully understand exactly what they're talking about, but the idea is more efficient electron transfer like can be obtained from nicads by "zapping" them.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:53 PM

That's what I meant, Marketing hype, junk science, or both. It's no more nanotechnology than modern supercapacitors or carbon-fiber. At best you should be calling it something like "nano-meter structure" or such.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:29 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the official word: http://www.a123systems.com/#/technology/power/pchart1/
Old 10-17-2008, 02:17 PM

I bought 4x cells and installed them into my rc car. I got this: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7XRed-UzwQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7XRed-UzwQ[/link]