Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Military GUYS or GALS i got a question//

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Military GUYS or GALS i got a question//

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 10:34 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military GUYS or GALS i got a question//

I'm in the air force and just got orders to Korea. Can i run my nitro trucks over there???
Old 06-03-2003, 01:18 AM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

It seems that RC is bigger in Asia than alot of places throughout the world. The only issue you might have is needing to use the local alloted frequency, rather than what your radio equipment might be from here in the states. I would bring your radio with you and if you aren't able to simply swap out a set of crystals when you get there, you could simply buy a cheap radio in the local frequency. Either way I am sure you can enjoy your RC there.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Thanks, but what about on an Air base?
Old 06-03-2003, 11:59 AM
FalconWings10
My Feedback: (4)

Go to MWR and ask about club information. Flying on a base requires installation Commanders OK. Might be the same for cars as well. It's a radio frequency thing (:>)
Old 06-03-2003, 11:28 PM
usagi

Originally posted by Tumbleweed
Thanks, but what about on an Air base?
I am not living in Korea (I am in Japan), but a few friends of mine told me the have places on bases in Korea. Like the early post r/c is really big in japan Korea etc.so finding place on a base should not be a problem.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:24 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Thanks alot bro, but do you think I can run my NITROs out there?
Old 06-04-2003, 09:31 PM
usagi

There show be no problem running nitro in Korea. Here is a better Idea e-mail ahead and ask the on base personal about this.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Well I'm not too sure as to exactly who to ask. I've been in the USAF for a little over four years and they wouldn't let me run mine here at offut or at keesler so I don't know who to contact.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:29 PM
usagi

Another thought is contact a person your local base who in charge or deployment of personal. Ask if there is any restrictions about using RC cars or planes on base in Korea.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:40 PM
kidd25

Default korea

i'm in the army in germany. went to korea in 2000. any way if you are going to osan air force base the have a hobby shop outside the front gate just keep walking and take a right you should run right into. anyway people ran nitro on base all the time but then again its the army and airforce is a little more strict with stuff like that. i know up where i was pilots had to dodge r/c helicopter that the local nationals ran. But if they dont let you run on post go off! oh buy the way there is a hobbyshop on camp page( at leat it was there whent i was) it i the crafts center
Old 06-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Jim C.

contact the outdoor rec. center.. they may be able to help you out.. here at ramstein they had an rc club a few years ago but it died out due to lack of intrest... but im not gonna be here long enough to get it going again.. but thats who i would try to get ahold of.... call your base via dsn. and ask to talk to the outdoor rec people.. hopefully they should have one if your in the air force.. i dont know a base that doesnt.. however, i dont know about running them on base.. as said eariler.. its a freq thing .... dont want a c-5 landing on your head because the pilots think its the insturment approcach!!! hehehe!!
Old 06-05-2003, 11:36 PM
usagi

Good Luck to you. ANd have fun
Old 06-05-2003, 11:59 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I learned from 11 years of service in the Army: Don't ask permission, just do it. If you screw up, somebody will let you know. I don't see any problem with you driving a nitro truck on an airbase.

Which one are you going to? Osan AB? I flew RC airplanes in Seoul and there were several hobby shops in the area back in 97.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:13 AM
Tumbleweed-RCU

yeah i'm going to Osan and my wife is going to Kunsan. i can't seem to get a hold of any one over there due to the TIME difference. But Any input on what the base is like and stuff like that would be great. Just some stuff like what the area is like what to expect as far as weather. Would it even be worth getting my R/C's together and shipped so i can TRY and use them. if you've been there before is there somewhere on base i could maybe run them. Do the locals freak out on you if your american???

I've been in four years and this is my second duty station. Been to a couple others TDY and stuff.

Thanks,
Rocky....
Old 06-06-2003, 06:27 AM
usagi

Originally posted by Tumbleweed
yeah i'm going to Osan and my wife is going to Kunsan. i can't seem to get a hold of any one over there due to the TIME difference. But Any input on what the base is like and stuff like that would be great. Just some stuff like what the area is like what to expect as far as weather. Would it even be worth getting my R/C's together and shipped so i can TRY and use them. if you've been there before is there somewhere on base i could maybe run them. Do the locals freak out on you if your american???

I've been in four years and this is my second duty station. Been to a couple others TDY and stuff.

Thanks,
Rocky....
You can also buy new other there. nothing tooo $$$$$$ Instead of lugging your stuff.JUst a thought.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:08 AM
kidd25

brink them all. like i said in my earlier post there is a hobbyshop right out of osan front gate. anyway korea weather is okay you get all the seasons-summer hot winter freezing, etc.. and you also get a monsoon season in there where it rains. Osan is also the best place to do your shopping( clothes,suites,blankets, etc) enjoy. any other questions let me know and i'll try and help
Old 06-09-2003, 06:00 AM
Kridifur

Default Oh yeah, you'll have fun

Lucky guy, Osan...................
I'm all the way up in Area I.
Yeah, RC is way bigger in Asia than in the states. But be forewarned, if you do happen to go to one of the many touring car tracks; all the locals run super tricked out Serpents. Yeah, I don't visit those tracks much anymore. I'm a pretty good driver, but these guys can control their cars doing 70!!! And the kind of money for one of those cars is way out of my league. I mainly just play with the other GI's with my touring car, and run off in the woods with my Savage. If you ever happen to come up to the TDC Area, a few buddies of mine are opening up a Hobby Store called "Extreme Hobbies". The local Hobby-stores are way over-priced, and they're planning to put these guys out of business by offering more selection, at stateside prices. But I have ordered several items from the States, and shipping times aren't usually too bad, and price is the same since it's an APO. Good luck, and don't worry, Korea's not too bad, been here 4 months and can't complain.

P.S: Been in 4 1/2 years myself!! Army, not Air-Force though
Old 06-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Thanks to everyone who replied, I kinda like this "You can also buy new other there. nothing tooo $$$$$$ Instead of lugging your stuff." That may be an idea worth looking into. The air force is gonna be paying me almost 40,000 for the whole year and I'm re-enlisting as a comm troop. Sold both of my cars and paying no daycare so it's all take-home. So I may have to look into some of the more pricey touring cars. Does anyone here own a serpent/or know how much one may cost???

Side note, I have a savage with a Hyper 8 on it. Would there be much of a difference if I through the outlaw .26 on her?? Anyone go this route before.

BTW You guys are some great people, hard to find relationships between strangers where they are willing to help one another in this age of *****holes.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:23 AM
usagi

If your in Japan some time look me up
Old 06-10-2003, 01:57 AM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Will do man, don't think I'll get a chance unless I try for Japan as my follow on though. Ever near Osan look me up.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:11 AM
usagi

Thank You.......I think you might have a chance. Not soon but in the not to far distance future.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:01 AM
Kridifur

Guess I'll have to run down to Osan so I can bash with ya!!!
As far as engines goes, if I had a Hyper21 and was going to upgrade even further, I'd probably go with the Picco.26 or Sirio.27.
Which of course means you can sell me your 8 port on the cheap
The Serpents I've seen over here are mostly the 1/8 ones (is that the 950 or 905 or something like that). But the 1/10 are pretty popular too. The only HPI cars I usually see are ones that other G.I.'s own, as Kyosho seems more popular over here. The locals are used to seeing cars like my Skyline running around, but when you bust out a Savage, a crowd always forms. If you need to know anything particular about over here, feel free to drop me a line. Always happy to help a fellow brother-in-arms.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:33 AM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

Super cool you military guys are finding help on RCU all the way where you guys are! I would have never thought a couple military guys from the US would be opening a rc shop in the orient! The new RC stuff is just so cool its touching all corners of the globe!

Kidd25, the US pilots had to watch out for the locals who were flying RC helicopters huh? Dang, I bet if you sucked up a RC heli into the turbine duct it would be lights out! Oh man! Im sure a little rc heli isnt all that easy to see either, depending on the type of aircraft your flying......
Old 06-10-2003, 03:57 PM
Glockster35

I am military, stationed at Spangdahlem AB, Germany.

One thing I have learned in my many years (almost 15) in the military is that sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I use US frequencies here, and have yet to have any problems. I did not ask for permission because then someone could tell me it wasn't ok. I have several friends who run on base also, and all but one use US frequencies.

I think your bigger problem would be finding somewhere to run the vehicle, and a local hobby shop to get your fuel or any parts you will need. Afterall you won't know the language well enough until you are about ready to leave.

I built a small track near my office, and it has two decent jumps. We run there several times a week during our lunch breaks.

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2003, 07:03 PM
kidd25

hey glockster where exactly is spangdahlem AB. i'm in wuerzburg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.