Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Little help wiht an evader on lipo

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:43 PM
txaggie08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little help wiht an evader on lipo

Howdy, brand new to cars but not to RC. I picked up an evader from a neighbor for a reasonable price, and am quite enjoying playing in the parking lot.

I've flown RC for several years now and am fully set up to run LiPo(in fact the only NIMH batteries I have left from my RC gear are the NIMH cells in my spektrum radio, and they last so long I just dont care ) batteries up to 4s 2500-3000mah packs. I'm also full aware of how to care for them, charge them, and store them safely....

I'm curious as to whether the stock ESC on this evader will handle a 3s pack, or will I be purchasing a new ESC shortly after doing so? I had looked into the CC sidewinder power system(which I believe will bolt in here am I not correct), but I really don't want to lay out more money right this second if avoidable. Is there an inexpensive ESC option if this will not work that would handle the voltage? I plan to grab a LVS for a plane project from CSRC anyway, I intended to grab another and use my existing pack....)
Old 01-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Druss

Default RE: Little help wiht an evader on lipo

Not too many stock escs will handle 3S. If you're already set up for lipos then just pick up a couple 2S.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Matt_Gruizinga
My Feedback: (1)

the evader Esc nor anything duratrax makes will be able to handle lipos. (according to them)

the CC sidewinder is a great combo but i would get a 4400 combo if you will be running a 4s lipo because that will give you the fastest speed and the most torque.

feel free to join us in the T.E.C. (it's in the electric offroad section)
Old 01-30-2009, 06:19 AM
happywing

You can run 2s Lipo with just about any ESC. 2s is only 8.4v at full charge. NiMh packs often start out at a higher voltage than that. Most ESC makers say "no lipo" because the ESC does not have low voltage cutoff. You just have to know when to stop is all. When the truck slows (even slightly) stop running it and re-charge...simple.

I think the previous post meant the 4600 combo running a 3s pack. Personally, I would run the 4600 on 2s in an Evader and be happy. Any more than that and you'll be sweeping transmission parts up off the parking lot.