Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Cooling Holes

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:11 AM
calvino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Holes

Ok, im not "new" to the nitro scene, but i am currious what you guys "do" to cool your engines. I see alot of people have a small hole in the front and thats it, ive tried that but i allways thought the engine was getting to hot, way to fast. I ended up cutting out the whole windshield/left window (next to fuel tank) to "cool" the motor. This seems to not have done much other than let tons of dirt.... come in (). What am i doing wrong. I have read having a larger 'exit' hole than entrance is nice but is that a bunch of hot air or true? I wanted to get some opinions on this before I get a new shell and hack the daylights out of it in the name of "happy engine" [>:]
Old 01-31-2009, 03:39 AM
dacaur

Default RE: Cooling Holes

well, for the most efficient cooling, you need an exit hole 3x the size of the entrance hole.... obviously thats not possible with a lexan body, nor is it needed anyway. Normaly a hole in the widshiled is plenty of cooling. When you say
i allways thought the engine was getting to hot, way to fast.
is that just an opinion, or have you verified that the engine is overheating either with a temp gun on the spit method?
Old 01-31-2009, 03:42 AM
calvino

When temping I would temp the glow plug, normally with the shell OFF the engine was about 230 - 240, shell on it was 250+ which is the reason why I asked about the hole cutting. Most seem to cut a single entrance hole and "end of story." I will cut some cardboard to block the airflow and then temp accordingly to get some ideas on whats most efficent. I just wanted to get some opinions [8D]
Old 01-31-2009, 04:49 AM
dacaur

you want to temp the cooling head, not the glow plug, the plug will be hotter...