Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Brushed Motor Maintaince?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:43 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brushed Motor Maintaince?

First of all, what's the differential between stock & modified??

I have Yokomo 17T Pro Stock, does that mean it's stock??

I have ran about 5 charges on this thing now... What maintainance should I do now?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 PM
86waterpumper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brushed Motor Maintaince?

A stock motor would generally be looked at as 27 turns. Motors from 6 to 25 turn would be called mods. Some motors such as the tamiya "super stock" series are 23 turns, and yokomo pro stock motors are available in all kinds of different turns so they are really just mod motors. If you only have five runs on it, the motor still ought to be fine. Some things you could do for maintenance would be to blow the motor out with compressed air, or with a rc motor spray. Also it would be helpful to lube the bushings or bearings with motor oil. A 17 turn if it's geared right should run a long time before it would need a comm cut or new brushes.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:59 PM
calvino

"stock" means it maybe a "closed can" motor. Not much you can do with those unless you get some moto spray (I used Trinity Buggy Blast) and spray it in there while you run the motor (slowly). You can HEAR the speed increase.... just make shure to lube the bushings when done and your cool to go. Also clean out the coils... with compressed air/motor spray, its AMAZING all the junk that flies out when you clean
Old 02-01-2009, 10:05 PM
samguan

This is how my motor looks like, it doesn't look like it's closed can...

Old 02-02-2009, 02:46 PM
86waterpumper

The yokomo "pro stock" are simply budget minded mod motors... the dead giveaway is that they have the bullet connectors made on. They are bushing motors and don't have ball bearings. Here this is taken right off a website that sells them

Yokomo's range of stock motors are a great way to upgrade your standard motor in any Tamiya, Kyosho, Traxxas, Schumacher, etc. All motors come pre-fitted with Tamiya bullet connectors, and also have capacitors soldered on at the factory. All you have to do is bolt it in and mesh the gears! A complete range is available from 27 turns through to 13 turns, so there is a motor for every car, every speed controller and every driver!
I can't tell from the pic really but they do look closed can to me like Calvino said. Obviously though you can change the springs or brushes etc. There is a big difference in closed can and closed endbell. A closed endbell motor would be something like a tamiya silver can, traxxas stinger, duratrax proton etc etc. Need to see a better pic looking at the bell end of the motor to know for sure.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: calvino

"stock" means it maybe a "closed can" motor. Not much you can do with those unless you get some moto spray (I used Trinity Buggy Blast) and spray it in there while you run the motor (slowly). You can HEAR the speed increase.... just make shure to lube the bushings when done and your cool to go. Also clean out the coils... with compressed air/motor spray, its AMAZING all the junk that flies out when you clean
That isnt what a stock motor means. My co27's are 27t STOCK motors, and they are rebuildable/open endbell motors.

That motor you have is an open endbell motor. Take the brush springs off, then the endbell with a screwdriver. There is a how to guide on rc411.com if you click on how to's, should be on the last couple pages, "how to maintain your motor"
Old 02-02-2009, 06:45 PM
erevo16

RCU is full of lies they do not know antthng thats y they have a form they need info for there site
stop giving them all the info
if we stop they will too
Old 02-02-2009, 10:45 PM
littleleon

I believe with those motors, you cannot remove the end bell.. You can replace the brushes and clean the comm, but I don't think you can cut the comm on a lathe.
I think that's also why they are generally a lot cheaper than the other "stock" motors where you can disassemble them and cut the comm. The end bell is pinched on, not screwed on.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 AM
86waterpumper

yeah if the endbell is attached with metal prongs that bend then it's hard to ever get it back on there right. It must have two phillips head screws if it is truly removeable etc.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the bullett connectors with the slip on ends (for the motor end)
rob you of power & runtime ? less effecient so to say.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Matt_Gruizinga
My Feedback: (1)

yes they create a little resistance. if you want you can solder on deans or run straight wire from you esc to your motor. a 8 in section of wire has the same resistance as a 8 in section of wire with a deans.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
TornadoGuy

Here's the maintenance required on a Brushed Motor.

1. You have to check if it is possible. Some rc cars cannot be opened up, because of a sealed can. If you can open it, just unscrew the two screws, on the back.

2. Look at your Brushes. Eventually, they will need replacement, although, they should be fine.

3. Clean out the can. Just get some good degreaser, and rinse it out well.

4. Lube the Bearings, or Bushings, of the Motor with some light-weight oil.

5. Check the Magnets, if they look really beat up, replacement might be required.

6. The Armature can be cleaned thoroughly with Motor Spray until shiny, and clean.

7. Lastly, check the Commuter, it may also need to be cut, although it should be fine.

As for the difference between a Stock and Modified Motor. The Modified is obviously faster, but does need more frequent maintenance than a stock motor does. Most Beginner rc cars come with a Stock Motor too.

Once you do all this maintenance, you will notice that the car will feel new, and very powerful again. This is mostly because of all the junk built up from bashing, or even just plain old cement grit.

This is just about all you have to do to keep your Electric rc car Motor running really strong.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:52 PM
yahman1254

if i switch my esc and battery connectors to deans will the amperage increase significantly?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:10 PM
samguan

ORIGINAL: TornadoGuy

Here's the maintenance required on a Brushed Motor.

1. You have to check if it is possible. Some rc cars cannot be opened up, because of a sealed can. If you can open it, just unscrew the two screws, on the back.

2. Look at your Brushes. Eventually, they will need replacement, although, they should be fine.

3. Clean out the can. Just get some good degreaser, and rinse it out well.

4. Lube the Bearings, or Bushings, of the Motor with some light-weight oil.

5. Check the Magnets, if they look really beat up, replacement might be required.

6. The Armature can be cleaned thoroughly with Motor Spray until shiny, and clean.

7. Lastly, check the Commuter, it may also need to be cut, although it should be fine.

As for the difference between a Stock and Modified Motor. The Modified is obviously faster, but does need more frequent maintenance than a stock motor does. Most Beginner rc cars come with a Stock Motor too.

Once you do all this maintenance, you will notice that the car will feel new, and very powerful again. This is mostly because of all the junk built up from bashing, or even just plain old cement grit.

This is just about all you have to do to keep your Electric rc car Motor running really strong.
so if the motor does not have the screws... you can't do anything right.. mine does not have screws.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:12 PM
yahman1254

all you can do is blow it out with some air.

if its a simple stock motor than i dont think you even have to worry about the other things. its not going through a lot of pressure...
Old 02-03-2009, 08:21 PM
TornadoGuy

so if the motor does not have the screws... you can't do anything right.. mine does not have screws.
No, unfortunately not, as some other people have said, you will just have to get a good Motor Spray, and get some compressed air to blow it out.

This will also do good for your Motor, and again make it feel new and powerful again.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:28 AM
calvino

I can say motor spray makes a huge difference even on motors (like) the Traxxas Stinger, Tamiya "silvercan". I was showing a friend how well motor spray worked and had him run his rustler slowly (off the ground with a Tamiya Silvercan) while i sprayed some motor spray into the motor. As I was spraying you could hear the motor gaining in RPM. Setting it on the street it must have gained about 3 MPH, so spraying a motor with a dedicated spray helps. Another way to clean the mootor is to spray the "windings' with the motor spray as these will pick up dust, motor brush bits.... [8D]