Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

which tools should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 PM
ziiaad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which tools should i get?

ive been workin on my slash alot lately and am tired of using the tools the came with it mainly just the wrenches and ive been thinkin about getting o'donnell tools but there 15 bucks for 1 screw driver and i was wondering what tools does everyone here use and what they would recommend i need something durable and cheap
Old 02-05-2009, 01:04 PM
The Hedgehog

Default RE: which tools should i get?

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Old 02-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: ziiaad

ive been workin on my slash alot lately and am tired of using the tools the came with it mainly just the wrenches and ive been thinkin about getting o'donnell tools but there 15 bucks for 1 screw driver and i was wondering what tools does everyone here use and what they would recommend i need something durable and cheap
You get what you pay for. You can buy a set of hex drivers at the hardware store for cheap but they aren't hardened tips and they aren't replaceable.

I started with a cheap set of dynamite hex drivers but now I have an AE set.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:45 PM
ziiaad

i was looking on towerhobbies and found some tools the brand is bondus i think and from what ive read they seem like really great tools not to mention there cheap
Old 02-05-2009, 02:34 PM
The_Collector

Nothing fancy here. Mostly second hand garage-sale tools and stuff enherited from my grandfather. Screwdrivers of all sizes are an extremely common item, and can be bought for cheap.
The most critical thing about hex wrenches(allen) is using the proper size. The very small difference between the two types can cause damage to hardware if the wrong size is used. You should have a metric and a standard set, preferably the long-handle type.
A long needle-nose pliars and tweesers are handy as well.
The most I ever spent on tools for R/C was a dremel bit set, for lexan working and modifying parts. Generally stay away from power tools, especially when working with the small screws. The only thing I have is a regular old 120V drill for making holes.
Besides tools themselves, you should have a spare hardware set for your Traxxas. When you work on it alot, small things can get away from you.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:50 PM
scoobs92

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i buy a tool i keep in mind that its a rc not a real car most screws don't require more touqe than a basic tool can handle
Old 02-05-2009, 07:16 PM
SAVAGEJIM

A good set of hex wrenches are a must if you want to do alot in the hobby. The wrenches that come with the RTR or kit are okay at first, but they simply do not last.

I personally use Bondhus hex wrenches, both metric and Imperial, and they are really not expensive either. For about $6-7 USD, you can have a set of Bondhus hex wrenches for all your RC needs and they will last. Even if you encounter really stubborn bolts and screws and you break one, the lifetime warranty of Bondhus will replace them for absolutely free (I have used it twice already, and yes, sooner or later you will come across that stubborn loc-tite screw).

Another set of tools I have are Craftsman, a little more expensive, but again, they have lifetime warranty and are really tough (I have yet to break any Craftsman tools). I use those for everything, not just RCs, and I can tell you, they make all work around the house much easier than cheap tools. I have stripped many phillips heads on my RCs by using cheap screwdrivers, the screw driver head strips, and after awhile, the stripped screw driver head gets to the point that it too begins to stripp the screws you are working on. I have thrown away several cheap screwdriver sets wrenching on RCs, but when I tried Craftsman screwdrivers, the only time I ever stripped a screw is if it was my fault (I did not put the head into the screw squarly and firmly into the screw, I tried to be lazy and unscrew the screw form an angle.)

Good tools go a long way, any they really are not that much more expensive than the cheap ones, just shop around and they can be had for not much more money.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 PM
zjwhitrock

get these, but don't buy anything else that they make...[:'(]
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKTH6&P=0
Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bondus is a hi quality tool, I have them at work & home....there very durable an the ball type dosnt pop off easy
like the cheapos.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:01 PM
wht92lude

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary

only one word is misspelled and no punctuation. so he wouldnt need a dictionary. would it be to hard to just help him out instead of giving him a hard time?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:05 PM
wht92lude

oops double post.