Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Savage X F4.1 Pull-Start Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:29 PM
mhovanes21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage X F4.1 Pull-Start Question

I wondering if anyone has used the pullstart for the F4.1 engine? The gears inside my backplate case don't seem to be meshing correctly. When I insert the rotostart, it will only intermittently crank the motor. It frequently just spins the gear freely and then randomly catches. I've taken it apart and the gears aren't stripped, but they seem like they are very loosely fitting. Not sure where else the problem can be.

Anyways, I am guessing I need a new crank case, so I'm wondering if I should get the Rotostart case or switch to the pullstart case. I've heard the pullstart string is prone to breaking, but it would be nice to not have to carry the rotostart around with me.

Suggestions???
Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Savage X F4.1 Pull-Start Question

Well, also look closely at the one way bearing. If the retaining ring that holds the needle rollers is cracked, that is your problem. Look really close for hair-line cracks, replace if cracked.

If the OWB is in good order, give it a good cleaning and also, give the shaft that the OWB goes onto a good cleaning as well. It could be slipping from synth lube stubbonly sticking to it.

As for the gears in the roto plate, look at those very closely and see if the teeth wear patter in even and not showing signs of bad mesh, These things mesh automaticcally as you bolt them onto the engine. If the are not mehing correctly, you probably didnt bolt it down all the way.