Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

One way slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:15 PM
jtho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One way slipping?

I need some help guys. I yank my pull start and after a single pop it pulls free the rest of the way out. If I yank real slow it'll pop once or twice more but thats it. The pull starter is brand new so I don't think thats the issue. I read somewhere that it may be the one way bearing. I cleaned and oiled it as was suggested but that didn't help. Does it just need to be replaced you think? Is there anything else it could be?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Redharris

Default RE: One way slipping?

jtho....
Welcome to the Himoto Forum.... We'll get you Rolling Again!

When you yank your Pull start out,,,,,does it retract all by itself?
If it retracts all the way back, then chances are that the Pullstart is OK......
You didnt loose any parts (like the small spring that keeps the starter shaft On the crank) when you took it apart,,,,did you?

Its Possible that the OWB (one way bearing ) is slipping.
It is also POSSIBLE that you put it in Backwards after you cleaned it. (You CAN do this with SOME engines)
Here's what you should try.......
Take the OWB out and clean it with Nitro Spray Cleaner......
Do Not Lubricate it. (It will get lubrication from the gas in the Engine)
Put it Back Together and try it out.......

If That doesnt work,,,Try reversing the OWB......(If You Can, with your engine)

If THAT doesnt work, then your OWB is probably Shot.....and you should replace it. It is a good "rule of thumb" to replace the Starter shaft along with the OWB.....

P.S.
It is POSSIBLE that you have Popped the Spring in your Pull Start. I which case you would have to take it out and Rewind it. It is Sort of a Pain, but it can be done.
HOWEVER,,,,like I said before,,,,if your String retracts, then I think the Pullstart is OK....

P.P.S.
I would help to know which engine you Have....
Old 02-10-2009, 10:14 AM
jtho

Thanks!

The cord does retract all by itself. As for missing parts, I do remember finding a small black spring after the original pull start was first taken off (motor is a SH .18). My brother-in-law was doing the work so I didn't notice it until later on but since I have driven the car several time without it I figured the spring came from something else. So it should be attached to the crank some how? I have the spring still (I think).

Is it possible that I reversed the OWB on a SH .18? It didn't look like it was possible but that'd be just my luck.

J
Old 02-10-2009, 11:49 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you able to start it since you put the new pullstart on? If you could then the one way is installed correctly and just may need to be cleaned. Try cleaning with some wd40 and blow it out good before reinstalling it. That sping goes in the center of the pullstart to keep the center "coil" sping from coming out.

If after you clean it, its still does not catch then you will need to get a new one.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Swamp3r

Some precautins you can take to stop this prblem is 1: what kind of fuel are you using. 2: when your done running do you pick up your truck from the front or back picking it up from the front can cause excess feul and oil to run back into the owb
Old 02-10-2009, 01:19 PM
jtho

No I wasn't able to start it but that was the first time I had pulled off the backplate and the one way bearing. When I cleaned it last night I hosed it down pretty good with WD40 and took some q-tips to it, didn't blow it though. I'll try cleaning again but in the mean time I think I'll order another too. Do you guys sell it?

I saw this one: http://server.sohouniverse.net/~himo...&=SID#MOREINFO
Same thing?

Thanks again.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:37 PM
firebird78

like Rod (swamper) asked....what kinda fuel you using??....do you pick up your rc from the rear???...when you store your rc do you raise the rear a lil???
Old 02-10-2009, 01:51 PM
jtho

Not sure about the fuel, I'll check when I get home. I typically pick it up from the handle in the center or grab on both ends by the bumpers. When I grab it from the handle it tends to lean to the back a bit I guess. Over night it sits on the floor or a table on it's wheels. I'm guessing that's not the way to go...
Old 02-10-2009, 02:02 PM
ehroof

when you clean it an put it back together, make sure that it grabs when turning clockwise but spins freely when turning counter clockwise (when looking at the rear of the engine). Turn it with your fingers before you put the pullstart back on.

We have the one way if you need it but the one you posted was for the infinity, you need the one for the sh.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:35 PM
firebird78

if your using traxxas top fuel quit....it contains to much oil which will make the one way slip....when carrying your rc carry it from the rear meaning the front down....wouldnt hurt to store your rc with the rear higher then the front
Old 02-11-2009, 01:37 AM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: firebird78

if your using traxxas top fuel quit....it contains to much oil which will make the one way slip....when carrying your rc carry it from the rear meaning the front down....wouldnt hurt to store your rc with the rear higher then the front
I agree. That should be stickied in bold letters: "DON'T USE ANY KIND OF TRAXXAS FUEL ON ANY NON-TRAXXAS RC!"
Old 02-11-2009, 04:23 PM
jtho

Good to know, thanks. I'm using Rocket Science.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:34 PM
amf66

Rocket Science? I use a local brand thats just 15 dollars a gallon!