Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Hijikata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filters

Ok so I have CEN Matrix, and the air filter is literally on top of the carb. Now I have seen these cars and buggies with air filters that come off the carb then curve and theres the air filter, seemingly wrapped around the pipe coming off of the carb. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to having one like that? Just really trying to figure out why some things are designed the way they are on these little cars.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:51 AM
calvino

Default RE: Air Filters

Those filters have an extra "element" in them. Yours is considered a 'single element' filter meaning you have 1 piece of oiled foam to keep dirt out. With a dual stage its better because if stage 1 gets dirty, remove and run stage 2. Plus the extra layer of foam allows for a little more protection.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Hijikata

alright thanks alot
Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 AM
tonydig11

Thats not what a dual stage filter is for. The outer filter traps the bigger peices of dirt wile the inner filter grabs the finer dirt. I have removed an outer filter and replaced with a clean outer one wile keeping the inner filter in. The inner filter is oiled also and the outer is not oiled.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Sugafree

http://www.motorsaver.com/
Old 02-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Inside_Line

Or you can run one of these, this makes a 3 stage filter. The outer layer has a sheen on it, and deflects just about everything that would stick. The link is on Undergroundrc.com.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Inside_Line

Ok so I have CEN Matrix, and the air filter is literally on top of the carb. Now I have seen these cars and buggies with air filters that come off the carb then curve and theres the air filter, seemingly wrapped around the pipe coming off of the carb. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to having one like that? Just really trying to figure out why some things are designed the way they are on these little cars.
I think your talking about something like this:

The main reason these bent/extended elbows are used, is really to re-locate and fit the filter housing under the body properly. The down side to using a different filter elbow is minimal, but many companies are now making "low Profile" filter housings to address the issue.