Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Im new and i have my first question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Amex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im new and i have my first question

Hi guys im new on the site and on this hobby. Guys what do you think abput Seben Racing RC cars 1/10 are good for a biginner and i can make a lot of mod to that car.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Im new and i have my first question

From what I saw on their website, they look like Redcat, Exceed, and HSP cars. In fact they look just like them, and I'm almost positive they are the same. I own one of the Redcat stadium trucks, the Tsunami. I love it. Now if they are the same thing, then I would say go ahead and get it, but shop around first, see what your local hobby shops carry. You have to remember that more than likely if you go with a vehicle like this, your gonna have to get most of your parts on the web which means you'll have to wait on parts all the time. Where if you go with a brand that your local hobby shop carries, then you should be able to get most of your parts there.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

why not consider a Tamiya TT-01, tons of parts support. cheap, great for beginners, kit or RTR. I've looked at the website and it's exactly what Brett185 said...

'Personally', I would never buy a car that's hard to get parts for... if the parts are available on ebay then that's fine... but sometimes it's good to have local support for parts at your LHS.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Amex

Thanks Brett185 and samguan
Ok i want RC 1/10 nitro for onroad i like the Seben Racing those Body look so real! damn i love the Toyota Soarer one.. beautiful
you have righr if the parts are deficult to find dont wordht the money.

Im looking a nitro for race a lot of speed and heavy custom on egine and that stuffs. and want to WIn in the categori Nitro on my country
Old 02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
samguan

ORIGINAL: Amex

Thanks Brett185 and samguan
Ok i want RC 1/10 nitro for onroad i like the Seben Racing those Body look so real! damn i love the Toyota Soarer one.. beautiful
you have righr if the parts are deficult to find dont wordht the money.

Im looking a nitro for race a lot of speed and heavy custom on egine and that stuffs. and want to WIn in the categori Nitro on my country
As you know with any hobby grade RC cars, the body is replaceable. I think you can take the body from Seben Racing and put it on any 1/10 scale rc car.

Start with an electric car..if you have money and wants to go fast, then brushless.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:48 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

how much money can you spend?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:50 PM
transam388

I do have to say both of these guys gave you VERY good advice. Make sure you are able to get parts. Many like the Redcat Racing as mentioned you have to order parts online as no one carries them. One thing in R/C cars and trucks is you WILL break things so having spare parts or a place close by where you can get parts is really a nice thing.

Now another good piece of advice was the statment of going brushless instead of nitro. Nothing against nitro but after doing nitro and now having brushless I think electric is far superior and a lot less tuning and such.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Amex

thanks for the advice but what do you think about traxxas 3.3 onroad
Old 02-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Brett185

Yeah, don't decide on a r/c just because of the body, bodys are most definetly replaceable. Now if your looking to hop this car up and race it on the big race scene, then don't go with this car. The drive trains in them will not hold up to the abuse a heavily modded engine will give it, you will definetly break parts alot and that goes back to the parts availability thing. If you want to get into serious racing, then go with a name brand manufacturer. These cars are really only good for the backyard, or street basher. Like I said I've got a Redcat ST, and I love it, I can drive it for hours and not break anything, BUT....it took me some MAJOR DOLLARS for me to get it to that point, plus alot of practice driving and NOT crashing. And it's still not something I would put on a track to race for other than anything but fun, I wouldn't bring it to a big race and expect to keep up with the big dogs. If I were you, I'd shop around, and save some money and go with a name brand.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Amex

Where I can collect more information about the RC nitro their engines, improvements etc.....
Old 02-10-2009, 03:00 PM
samguan

I believe all newbies have one thought in common, going nitro baby! Why? prabably nitro is what got them interested in RC at the first place. Gas engines on these tiny cars, that's crazy right.

I can tell you one thing from my personal experience, tuning nitro engines is not something that you read and follow. It's something that you read, understand, try, practice. Unfortunately, I have not done it yet.

My nitro truck has been sitting there for two months now. Why? I hate tuning! Now that I have Traxxas Slash, I think my nitro truck will be sitting there for a while.

To answer your question, there are tons of information on nitro engines and how to tune them on this forum, check the nitro engine section and I believe there is a pretty detail guide on nitro engines from break-in to fine tuning.

I wouldn't recommend you to get nitro if you don't have friends who run nitro cars...You will for sure find times where you are so frustrated because your engine always stall or it won't even start at all.

Nitro fuels are so expensive, we pay $40 per gallon here in Toronto. That's alot man! $40 you can fill out the gas tank of a real car.

Just to give you more information on the major brands in RC cars/trucks.

Losi, Team Associated, Tamiya, Traxxas, HPI etc.

Cars from these companies are usually good in terms of quality and parts support.

Just to make the same point again, NEVER EVER buy a RC car/truck just for the body look. They are replaceable and there are tons of cool bodies on eBay.

More information for you:

RC cars/trucks usually come in three forms:

-RTR(Ready to Run) - All you need is the battery, everything has been assembled. It's all plug & play
-Roller - Full assembled, but you will need to buy your own motor/engine and I believe all electronics too
-Kit -Comes unassembled, you have to assemble the whole car from parts. You have to paint the body too!

So for beginner, I would recommend RTR(Ready To Run)

So you want speed?

Then you get brushless, brushless motor if gear properly with the right battery, it can go super fast..virtually no maintainence required.

Nitro cars, even after a short run can become dirty and greasy.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:12 PM
olkleaf

ORIGINAL: Amex

thanks for the advice but what do you think about traxxas 3.3 onroad
from what i heard it the 4tec has no handling
i wouldnt buy the 4tec my self .. every time i see the car at my LHS i think it looks CHEAP .. i just dont think you are getting your moneys worth.

the advice brett185 is very good.. dont base your decision on crap clams of 75mph or whatever .. go by what previus owners have to say about the product

at kyosho? thave you looked they make a very nice shaft driven car also look at hpi most people will recomend the rs4 for a biginner
my first nitro car was the NTC3 it is a nice car but it does have a reputation of not being the toughest car out there.

there is an onroad thread that you can ask questions on

on what samguan has said... well nitro does have its ups and downs but i personaly like the whole nitro experience .. i love the smell the noise, the power(not saying electric isn't impresive) i also love to work on my car geting the setup and the tune of the engine just right. im no saying that you wount have problems but most of the time the problems that develp with nitro is just lack of experince. its also just your personal liking weather you like nitro or electric
Old 02-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Brett185

Wether you decide to go with nitro or electric ( especially nitro ), expect to have problems in the beginning. Everyone on this site had problems when they first got into the hobby. Now with nitro, you will absolutely, most definetly , 100% have problems. You WILL break alot of parts, you WILL have problems with starting / idling, etc. It will happen. It has happend to everyone on here who runs nitro. That's just part of the hobby. I'm not trying to discourage you from going nitro, it was my first hobby grade r/c, but I had tons of problems from the first time I started it up. You will get frustrated and impatient, but you'll just have to work through them, otherwise your r/c experience will be over with before it really got started. Just a few things for you to wrap your head around.....
Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Amex

Thanks Guys a lot of advices.. i will search in the local Rc store and see what they recommend. i will let you know about my decision..