Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Can't get nitro MT started

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 PM
txaggie08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get nitro MT started

Picked up a nitro MT for less than 100$ RTR today. WAs told it was running, so I replaced the glow plug and fueled it with some 15% fuel I had here.

I'm trying to start it with a drill(recoil starter is on order) and I'm getting nothing. The plug is getting hot, I can hear the motor turning over, and I'm getting fuel at the carb. I'm kind of at a loss why it wont start at all. I don't thnk this is the original carb, but I've tried fattening and leaning the high speed(the vertical needle is, I'm assumin, the high speed) out, and adjust the needle attached to the carb arm(almost looks more like what I'm used to with airplanes but....)

Am I running to low nitro content for the motor to run correctly? is the drill not spinning the motor fast enough to get it to start?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:04 PM
revo nation

Default RE: Can't get nitro MT started

tried it once with drill never worked rpm 's are not fast enough
Old 02-11-2009, 08:41 PM
txaggie08

so do you have a suggestion until I can get a pull starter?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:35 AM
pt121

Any idea of which motor is in it? Hard to tell if it is spinning it fast enough without seeing/hearing it. 15% should be enough....I usually stick with 20% myself. What's the compression feel like? Are you sure fuel in getting in the engine? Are you using fresh fuel?

Patrick
Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 AM
txaggie08

Fuel may be a little iffy, I know the 15% I have I would not trust in my plains.....

Compression seems to be there, not insanely high but it's definitely got compression on the motor. I'm hoping it doesn't have a boned ring, I'm going to be pissed in the highest order.

I'm getting fuel, there's enough back pressure coming off the muffler to pump, and I definitely had it flooded at one point(when I dumped fuel out of the muffler). I'm thinking it may be the fuel or the starter, but he swore up and down he was using a drill to start it....

I'm going to get a fresh gallon of 20% tomorrow.

I like the strudiness of this truck, I just want a basic basher I can put some "cool" looking metal on(sorry....I'm a 4 year old in a 23 year olds body......) and get to run reasonably fast. Can any of you tell me what parts from this car are compatible with the RS4 series(I think I remember the chassis plate being the same(maybe) and at least the differential cases and center drive case being the same(will it take the two speed?).

I'd also like a suggestion on a motor, as this one has definitely been "rode hard and put up wet" a few times! I'm familiar with aircraft engines(I've flown for a long time), but know nothing about car motors.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 PM
transam388

Well you already answered your question regarding the fuel so I would second getting some new 20% car fuel.

Second would be if you see the motor getting flooded I would say of cousre to lean it out. Since you are also down here in Texas as of late tuning a nitro motor can be a pain since one day it is 75 and then the next it can drop to 50. Anyhow with it being a little warmer here lately that would also help to explain why you are running richer than normal. Warmer air is not as dense (Less oxygen) so your engine tends to run richer and reverse this for when it gets colder (Denser atmospher so More oxygen and engine runs leaner).

Find out what kind of motor it has and do a web search for the manufacturer and see if they have their "Stock" fuel settings on the web and try going back to those and work from that.

I also question using the drill to start it. I know when my roto start was getting low on battery that motor would just not spin quick enough to get it lit.

good luck man!!