Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

NITRO MT ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:42 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NITRO MT ISSUES

I got this car a while back and never had any problems with it. It always ran good and never stalled out. Now after a few years of sitting I cant get the damn thing to run right. Since it sat for so long I pulled apart the carb removed the goo and made sure it moved freely. I reset the needles and put back together.

I go to crank it up and it fires fine and runs. I drove it around and it suddenly stalled out as if the plug died. My first thought was it was to lean and over heated but the head felt fine. I go to crank up and it fires, i remove plug igniter it rolls about 15 feet and dies. I trepeat and each time it runs shorter and shorter. Now it stalls out the second i remove the igniter.

So I go out and buy new fuel and glo plug and out it in. I fuel it up anf fire it up and it runs fine. I drive for a few then it dies. The the whole problem starts again each time running less and less. Now when i remove the igniter it stalls right away. What the hell is the deal with this stupid thing? I tried to richen it up and was going to put around some but when i remove igniter it stalls out. I am about ti kick this truck and buy a new one. I dont get why it wont run right. There is nothing to this thing. fuel air fire but it wont run. All my fuel lines are unclogged and flow fine yet this thing dies out as if the plug is going out.

I just got the plug today and it is a mecoy MC-9 I was told to use this for my stock engine. Fuel filter is clean I just dont know what the heck is wrong with it. My arm is about to fall off from pulling the stupid string.

Any help would be great thanks!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:11 PM
pt121

Default RE: NITRO MT ISSUES

A few years of sitting? You have other things to worry about. If you had the goo you said you had then I bet you didn't pump some after run oil in the carb as well as the engine before you stored it. After a few years I bet the o-rings are shot...depends on the condition of where you had it stored. I would suggest taking apart the engine, sealing the back plate, getting new o-rings, sealing the carb where it is mounted to the engine. A really good cleaning. If all this is out of what you can do, then pick yourself up an new engine. Also, pulling the igniter off and then it stalling might mean its too rich. The battery is keeping the glow plug good and hot, but when you pull the igniter, the rich mix will flood the plug and kill the engine.

Patrick
Old 02-15-2009, 07:25 PM
FlooredCOBRA

You know I didnt even think about the O-rings. Good point. I will have to grab a set of those and try again and see how it goes.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:15 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Update. Okay so I took apart the engine and replaced the seals and O-rings and now it cranks right up and stays running. That was the problem the whole time. I think what was happening was the engine would fire up. As it got hotter the metal would expand. Then it would suck air in through the unsealed gap between the carb and engine.

But now I think I want to pull the engine and get something else for it. The version I have does not have a needle adjustment for the bottom end. It is high end only and it is a bit annoying. I was looking at the NITRO STAR T-15. I think that is what comes with the cars now. But now the debate is to grab that or go ahead and upgrade to something better. I remember a while back reading about some engines require an adapter or something because some crank shafts are smaller or something. I bought an OS .15 something while back for another car and it dropped right in.

What else is there besides OS that would drop in and provide more power? What are some of you guys running?