Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

HOW TO CONNECT POWER WIRES???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Willystylz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO CONNECT POWER WIRES???

I'm looking at switching all my Tamiya plugs over to deans. I am aware that the best option is to solder the deans connector onto the wires......or buy some deans connectors with the wire leads already attached and just solder the wires together. Now make fun of me all you want but i want to avoid soldering if i can. The main reason being I don't know how to solder and I'm just looking for an alternative. I know there may be no alternatives to soldering but i'm wondering if there's anything (connectors etc.) that would work well in joining wires together to have a decent connection (anything better than Tamiyas). Any help is appreciated!
Old 02-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Druss

Default RE: HOW TO CONNECT POWER WIRES???

If you don't want to solder then anderson power poles are the best, actually they are the best regardless of whether you want to solder or not. A bit more expensive though.

*edit* i find that soldering, as with many things, the equipment can make a huge difference. If you're using a $20 radio shack 20w soldering iron then it is a pita. Get a nice soldering station like the hakko 936 and it's easy as pie.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Willystylz

Those look brilliant.....thank you very much!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:25 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could take them to the LHS and pay them a few bucks to solder them for you.....Heck if i wasnt 2 hours away i would teach you how to solder....
Old 02-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Willystylz

i was thinkin goin to ideal hobbies in barrie but probably would take them a couple hrs at least for all the batteries i have and also for my sprint 2. I ordered some power poles which look like a great solution which doesn't require any soldering, only crimping which is no problem, and they're fairly inexpensive....definitely cheaper than the deans plugs. So hopefully by this time next week i'll have said bye bye to Tamiya connectors
Old 02-15-2009, 11:19 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you use a good set of crimpers not the cheap ones...makes a world of difference..
Old 02-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Willystylz

yeah i've got that covered.........ordered a decent pair that're designed for the power poles

thanks again Druss for the great suggestion.......the more i read on these the more i like em.....haven't heard anything bad about them, unless somebody wants to burst my bubble?
Old 02-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: Willystylz

yeah i've got that covered.........ordered a decent pair that're designed for the power poles

thanks again Druss for the great suggestion.......the more i read on these the more i like em.....haven't heard anything bad about them, unless somebody wants to burst my bubble?
The only down side is the size, larger than any other connectors out there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92853.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1136144  
Old 02-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Willystylz

actually by the looks of the pic probably aren't much larger than the Tamiya ones i already have............and since i'm only going to be using the poles to connect my battery to the esc it shouldn't pose a problem