Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another question: Fail safe auto shut off?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Another question: Fail safe auto shut off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:27 PM
breezerboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another question: Fail safe auto shut off?

This has happened to me once. And I did a 90 degree head on hit with my car into a curb at about 30 mph. I couldn't believe the thing didn't bust into parts. It actually came out of the accident with a really bent bumber/chasis. I bent it back and it's good.

I have heard that there is some sort of an auto shut off it the controler turns off or the car goes out of range. Is this true? If so, how do I know if I have one? and how do I make sure it works?

Another question. Is there any difference in the glow plug ignitor I use? Do the more expensive ones make the car start faster/better. I'm using the cheap one that came with my Redcat car.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:57 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Another question: Fail safe auto shut off?

failsafe is a little device that connects between the receiver and the servo...some RTR cars don't come with them.. it's pretty easy to identify.

but since your car was out of control, i don't think you have the fail-safe.

fail-safe devices are cheap and it's must for nitro cars.. basically when your go goes out of range, the throttle will return to neutral...

to test if it really works, run the car.. do a full throttle. then turn of the your controller and see if it stops accelerating..
Old 02-15-2009, 05:18 PM
breezerboat

I just went and checked. My Redcat did not have one. I just got an Associated MGT Truck and it does not either. I am definitely going to be getting one for both my vehicles. Is there one that is better than another, or anything I should know before I buy them? It looks like I can get one for 19.99. Also, they say the work for cars that are 4.8V - 6.0V. Is there an easy way to tell what Volt I have? Sorry to be asking questions that are, probably easy to you guys.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:20 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: samguan

to test if it really works, run the car.. do a full throttle. then turn of the your controller and see if it stops accelerating..
Or if you want to keep your car simply turn on the radio gear, go to full throttle, turn off the transmitter, and see the throttle servo goes back to neutral.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:21 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: breezerboat

I just went and checked. My Redcat did not have one. I just got an Associated MGT Truck and it does not either. I am definitely going to be getting one for both my vehicles. Is there one that is better than another, or anything I should know before I buy them? It looks like I can get one for 19.99. Also, they say the work for cars that are 4.8V - 6.0V. Is there an easy way to tell what Volt I have? Sorry to be asking questions that are, probably easy to you guys.
Most likely 6 volts if you aren't using a pack(regular alkalines). If you have a pack then you should know.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:58 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

I have a duratrax fail safe and its great
Old 02-15-2009, 05:59 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: samguan
some RTR cars don't come with them

Most rtr cars do not come with failsafes

basically when your go goes out of range, the throttle will return to neutral...

Actually, you set what you want the failsafe to do. It can be turn in a circle, go to idle, brake - watever you want

Wow, that's a good way to wreck or lose a car. The best thing to do is just bench test it

I just use the least expensive failsafe I can find at the time. They're all pretty much the same.