Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Running MT as a 3WD

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 PM
breezerboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running MT as a 3WD

So, one of my rear drive bones broke. I am waiting for a replacement to come in the mail. Will it hurt my truck to go 3 wheel drive?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:45 PM
twomanytoys

Default RE: Running MT as a 3WD

Actually it will only be front wheel drive. If you break a rear dog bone all the power goes to the front wheels. It will be hard to control and can burn up your tranny.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:48 PM
breezerboat

AH CRUDDD. I really want to run it. Both my RC's are down at the same time. Servo for one, Dogbone for the other. AARRGGG
Old 02-17-2009, 08:55 PM
twomanytoys

Can you take a dog bone out from teh front and install it in the rear to have rear wheel drive. It wont be near as hard onthe tranny.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:34 PM
breezerboat

Yea, I could do that. Would it be OK to run it that way? with one of the fronts missing?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I were you, I would just go to my LHS and get a dogbone, something small like that, I would not wait for delievery
Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 PM
traxxaspede

or you could switch servos and use the other one.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:01 PM
twomanytoys

ORIGINAL: traxxaspede

Switch servos? He broke a dog bone what does a servo have anything to do with?

Yes it would be ok to run rear only. Just dont run front only.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:05 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

ORIGINAL: traxxaspede

Switch servos? He broke a dog bone what does a servo have anything to do with?

Yes it would be ok to run rear only. Just dont run front only.
because his other car has a broken servo. so instead of running the car fwd or rwd only. he can take the servo from the car and put it in the car with the broken servo. this way, he can play his other car
Old 02-17-2009, 11:36 PM
breezerboat

The learning curve to this hobby is fast. Thanks for all your knowledge. It is greatly appreciated. Really it is.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 PM
MadManAndrew

I've seen alot of new members from Texas lately...huh.[:-]
Old 02-17-2009, 11:51 PM
twomanytoys

You will learn more stuff than you even thought you needed too. Even stuff that you dont need. Its never ending.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

If you do decide to run it in rear wheel drive, you might wanna take both dogbones out of the front, and the front trans. dogbone, that way your front diff won't have any power to it at all, it'll be much less strain on the tranny and front diff.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:15 PM
twomanytoys

ORIGINAL: Brett185

If you do decide to run it in rear wheel drive, you might wanna take both dogbones out of the front, and the front trans. dogbone, that way your front diff won't have any power to it at all, it'll be much less strain on the tranny and front diff.
Removing one dog bone from the front diff is like not having any power to the wheels. Yes the diff turns inside but it will not do anything or hurt anything. It also has no stress at all on the tranny unlike having 4wd.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
TIGER76

Ive ran most of my tourers on 2wd from 4wd when ive broke a bone hasnt done any harm just take it easy until the part is replaced
Old 02-18-2009, 07:41 PM
dacaur

Geez, bad info alert in many of the above posts!!! Unless you have a center diff, it doesn't matter (to the transmission) one bit if you are running in front wheel drive or rear wheel drive, the tranny will see the same amount of stress either way, since it splits the power 50/50 front/rear. I cant imagine what you guys think will burn up in a MT tranny in front wheel drive that wouldn't burn up in rear wheel drive..... If you DO have a center diff, it will be just as hard on it running in rear wheel drive as it will be in front wheel drive, you don't want to do either in that case, but since you say its a monster truck, im assuming no center diff. Here is a tip for when you ask for help, tell us what truck you are running....

The only difference (assuming no center diff) will be that you will actually have more acceleration if you run in rear wheel drive, since the weight transfers off the front tires on onto the rear when you accelerate, and you will have more braking if you run in front wheel drive, since weight transfers to the front tires when you brake.

Personally, I would run it in rear wheel drive for the added acceleration. And remove the front drive shaft if possible, or if not then at least remove the other front dogbone.

If you have a center differential, don't run it at all till you have all 4 wheels powered, but since you say its a Monster Truck, I'm assuming you don't have one....
Old 02-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Budget Monty

ORIGINAL: dacaur

Geez, bad info alert in many of the above posts!!! Unless you have a center diff, it doesn't matter (to the transmission) one bit if you are running in front wheel drive or rear wheel drive, the tranny will see the same amount of stress either way, since it splits the power 50/50 front/rear.
False. Weight transfer is to the rear under acceleration, and the rear tires would be less likely to spin. A fwd will be much more likely to spin the tires, and be more likely to spin which ever tire has the least traction through the differential, and high speed diff operation can generate a lot of heat and kill it (Either being a gear diff or ball diff). Have you ever driven a FWD RC car? I was suprised to see that many people that posted realized this, but I thought it was even funnier that the guy that post wrong information is trying to call everyone else out, lol! (AKA you)
Old 02-19-2009, 05:23 PM
twomanytoys

ORIGINAL: Budget Monty

Geez, bad info alert in many of the above posts!!! Unless you have a center diff, it doesn't matter (to the transmission) one bit if you are running in front wheel drive or rear wheel drive, the tranny will see the same amount of stress either way, since it splits the power 50/50 front/rear.
False. Weight transfer is to the rear under acceleration, and the rear tires would be less likely to spin. A fwd will be much more likely to spin the tires, and be more likely to spin which ever tire has the least traction through the differential, and high speed diff operation can generate a lot of heat and kill it (Either being a gear diff or ball diff). Have you ever driven a FWD RC car? I was suprised to see that many people that posted realized this, but I thought it was even funnier that the guy that post wrong information is trying to call everyone else out, lol! (AKA you)
Exactly. Now its not a 50/50 split. Its 100% to the front and the car will drive like crap. driving a FWD rc car is not fun at all.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:33 PM
dacaur

read it again, I said .....it doesn't matter (to the transmission) one bit..... I didn't say anything about diffs. I was simply stating that the guy who said it would burn up the tranny was wrong, notice also that I did recommend going with rear wheel drive.

As far as burning up the diff, that's unlikely, if its a properly set up ball diff, its unlikley you will have just one tire spinning in the first place, since both tires will have about the same amount of traction. A gear diff will be more likley to spin one tire, (you can easily spin one tire in rear wheel drive too), but anyone with half a brain will let off the gas when that happens, since the truck wont be going anywhere....
Old 02-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Budget Monty

read it again, I said .....it doesn't matter (to the transmission) one bit..... I didn't say anything about diffs. I was simply stating that the guy who said it would burn up the tranny was wrong, notice also that I did recommend going with rear wheel drive.

As far as burning up the diff, that's unlikely, if its a properly set up ball diff, its unlikley you will have just one tire spinning in the first place, since both tires will have about the same amount of traction. A gear diff will be more likley to spin one tire, (you can easily spin one tire in rear wheel drive too), but anyone with half a brain will let off the gas when that happens, since the truck wont be going anywhere....
No need to read again, I was right the first time, but thanks. I am sure he is just as worried about burning up his diffs as he is the transmission, and running in FWD is much more likely to do damage, end of story. To the OP, if you must run your car in the meantime, run the rear shafts with none in the front (I would probably be impatient too!). If your drive cups are held into the diff by your driveshafts, make sure that you pull them out too, but only if your diff is suspended by bearings itself. I have seen some models that the diff is supported buy the drive cups which are supported by bearings, and when you pull the cups, nothing is supporting the diff and it will bind/cause damage. It is not that common, but I am not 100% familiar with that model, and would hate to give advice leading you to damage!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:44 AM
dacaur

oh, then i guess im unclear on what you think i said was false...