Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

Hi all:

First time poster...

I'm just getting back into RC buggies after a long time. I have no plans to race, and prefer electric to nitro. I have my original Tamiya Rough Rider, but I'd have to fix a few things to get it working. It needs a new speed controller and tires, and the body is pretty beat up. Also, the shocks are long gone. From what I have read lately, the RR's don't perform so well compared to the newer stuff, and from what I can see on Ebay, it's collectable. Regardless of what I do, I'll have to buy batteries and a radio (old Futaba is illegal), so that's a wash. Once that's done, I have about $150 to spend, so I have to decide:

Fix up the RR and use it - I'd have to source a body, shocks (impossible?) and tires. This would cost less than $150, right? I'd get an ESC with the new radio.

OR

Buy a new buggy kit - not sure if $150 would buy decent gear or not. I'm willing to buy a basic rig and upgrade later, depending upon my budget and continued interest.

Here's my wish list:

1/10 - 1/12 scale 2WD
Preferably a kit, not RTR
Electric with upgradable motor
Electronic speed control
Bronze bushings ok as long as can be upgraded to bearings later
Realistic body and wheels
Oil-filled shocks or at least upgradable to them
Water resistant receiver and servo enclosure

I looked at a Tamiya Frog, but in the reviews many say it's old tech and fragile. It doesn't have the enclosure, either. Most of the other kits in this price range look like toys. If I need to go up in price, how much? I could always sell the RR or part it out, but I haven't decided if I'm willing to part with it or not. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
John.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 PM

Default RE: What would you do?

I believe the HPI Brama fits your needs but it's a RTR. The good thing is that you get everything you need to run including battery and charger. Tower has it for $170 and you can probably find a coupon to save $10 somewhere.

If you want a kit then I'd look at either the Tamiya DF-02, DF-03 or DB-01. They are a bit more but you get to build them and they have a LOT of upgrades available.

I don't believe any of them have a water sealed receiver box though.

Good luck.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:20 PM
My Feedback: (1)

by "realistic body" what do you mean?

i would recommend a Duratrax evader EXB. they are $120 and you can do alot to them. they are very flexible and have a 1 year plastic parts warranty. they arn't waterproof though [&o]. they do have oil filled shocks and bushings that are upgradable to bearings. in the electric offroad section is a thread for all evaders. if you have any more questions about this specific car hit us up. lost of us have brushless setups, mine is waterproof. evaders are good starter cars but they are RTR
Old 02-19-2009, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Druss

If you want a kit then I'd look at either the Tamiya DF-02, DF-03 or DB-01. They are a bit more but you get to build them and they have a LOT of upgrades available.

I don't believe any of them have a water sealed receiver box though.
Thanks for the recommendations. All these are 4WD. I assumed I could get better quality for the same money if I went 2WD. Am I wrong?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt_Gruizinga

by "realistic body" what do you mean?
I mean it would pass for a scale model, at least at first glance. That's one thing I like about the RR. Everything works like the real thing, just smaller. The Frog looks like a compromise, technically, but still pretty realistic. Most of the newer stuff looks very toylike with the huge coilover shocks at all four corners and the wheels taller than most of the body. This isn't a must-have, but it might factor into my final decision.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: the_tool_man

Thanks for the recommendations. All these are 4WD. I assumed I could get better quality for the same money if I went 2WD. Am I wrong?
Not really, I would not put either the brama or the duratrax in the same category as a Tamiya. Plus there are very few kits out there except for Tamiya. I may be biased since I own 5 Tamiya's but there's a reason for that, I just love building them.

I bet you could find one online used for pretty cheap.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 PM

I've been reading a lot about these. So between the DF-03 and DB-01, which is more reliable? How often to you have to replace drive belts on the DB-01? The DF-03 looks like it has more suspension travel. I'll mostly be running on ungroomed grass, dirt, gravel, so wouldn't more suspension travel be better?

How do you waterproof these?

Thanks for the replies. Keep the suggestions coming.