Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Fail safe Problem

Old 03-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Virgin_Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fail safe Problem

Hi,

I've recently entered the world of RC Nitro.. I've previously flown Electric & Helis...

I've got a 1/8 Nitro Buggy and after finding out about Throttle Fail Safes I knew I needed one...

I bought one with the Buggy...

It is described as:

"Car Saver ME100" from Model Engines or Great Vigor, however it is labeled with a GV-100 number as well...

I have noticed two issues so far..

1. It appears not to work with a JR RS70 receiver.. it looks as if the failsafe just goes straight into a fail safe mode (the LED stays on and the throttle goes to a full OPEN position)...

2. It seems to work with the cheap AM Tx/Rx that came with the kit. You can set the fail safe position with works when the Tx is turned off... However, you seem to need to set the Fail Safe position EVERYTIME the car is turned off... Otherwise the default failsafe position is FULLY OPEN (Which I dont think is a good option)...

Can anyone tell me if they have had any problems with this fail safe or other fail safe's being very specific over the RX they are connected to???

Is it common with failsafe units to have to the failsafe position set every time the car is turned on???

Has anyone had any experience with the Mtroniks microFAILSAFE unit??? or could suggest a good replacement???

Any help would be grealy appreciated!!!

Thanks

VB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32618.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1153207  
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2009, 06:47 PM
twomanytoys

Default RE: Fail safe Problem

Never heard of those fail safes. I use Duratrax or venom fail safes.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Virgin_Blue

Cool.. I'll have a look into them...

The duratrax seems to have a cut off voltage of 3.8V.. Is that for a 6V servo pack????

Also, do you only have to set the fail safe position once?? or every time the unit is turned on????

Thanks
Old 03-08-2009, 07:53 PM
twomanytoys

The duratrax you set one time and thats it. It will set the fail safe when any battery pack reashec 3.8v. It dont matter if its 6v pack or 4 AA pack. They are reallt small and work great. I have several trucks using them and never had a run off. This is the one you want. Only about 20.00

http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxm4000.html
Old 03-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Spetz

I use the failsafe on the left (green one) and never had any problems
The only issue I had is it goes info "fail" mode if the receiver batteries are a bit weak. This is good but in my opinion this happens a little bit too early, while they still have decent power levels
Old 03-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Virgin_Blue

Thanks Spetz,
Have you had any of the problems that I saw???

Failsafe position not being stored (and defaulting to fully open) and having to set it everytime??
What Rx and battery pack do you use??

Thanks

VB
Old 03-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Spetz

I remember once having a problem with setting it. But after trying again it worked and no problems to date. I'd just try a couple of times if I was you
Also, I just use normal duracel batteries
Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM
olkleaf

i have had a venom and ofna fail safe and they both have craped out on me. i have the futabla fail safe it is very good. it may seem alittle pricy but its worth it. it is very relible. i mean i rather spend alittle more money on a fail safe then ending up having to buy a new one.