Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

HPI Car Won't Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:43 PM
1sikg35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Car Won't Idle

im not sure if this is the right place to post this but im having trouble with my HPI gas powered car(racing, not drift). I bought it about 2 weeks ago and it has been acting up lately. I broke it in properly and everytime i start it up it idles really high and almost sounds like it is 80-90% open throttle. I checked my idle switch on the remote control and everything seems ok i have the idle set to the lowest option and yet it still does this i was told it might be running too rich how do i tune it so that it wont jump to a high throttle as soon as she cranks. any help would be appreciated im a noob to this so no negative remarks please.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 PM
DaveG55

Default RE: HPI Car Won't Idle

Rather than randomly tweaking needles you need to reset all the needles (HSN, LSN and idle screw) to factory settings and retune from scratch.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 PM
twomanytoys

First off you NEVER use the remote to make adjustments. Everything needs to be done on the carb and linkages. Once everything is set then you can make minor adjustments with the remote. The remote should be zeroed out prior to making adjustments to the carb and linkages. It sounds like your idle screw is too far open. A high idle does not mean its running rich. Your carb opening at idle should only be about 1mm open. You lean out your high speed needle first then low speed then idle screw again.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:36 AM
1sikg35

can i get some pictures posted it would be helpful to see what you mean there are a few needles on there and im not sure which one goes to which. Are you talking about the black one that is pointing straight up right next to the incoming fuel line? i need to see how the factory setting look like i have never messed with them so i wouldnt know how to adjust them back to factory default. is there a video or picture that someone can post up, anyways thanks again.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:25 AM
HomeDawwg

If you havent touched the needles from factory it sounds like there might be an air leak causing the car to run lean. Carb could also be binding and open more than it should be.

Best bet is to grab the manual and study it properly, get familiar with the needles and make sure they are set to factory settings as per the manual. (i know you havnt touched them but sometimes they are out from factory).

If this doesnt solve the problem, then look into the suggestions above.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:45 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: 1sikg35

I broke it in properly

no negative remarks please.
there are a few needles on there and im not sure which one goes to which. Are you talking about the black one that is pointing straight up right next to the incoming fuel line? i need to see how the factory setting look like i have never messed with them so i wouldnt know how to adjust them back to factory default.
Wow,
Ok, I'm gonna try not to be negative...

First, you DID NOT break the engine in properly. You say you've never touched the needles and adjusting them is PART OF A PROPER BREAK-IN. It does not sound like you have even touched the owners manual that came with your truck, except to possibly set it aside. The very first thing you need to do is find that manual and READ IT. Ninty, maybe 100, percent of the questions you have asked are answered in that manual. Your car will never run properly and you will never be able to diagnose any problems with it until you become throughly familier with the manual, engine and car.

How can you possibly expect us to help you when you don't even know/understand the terms used? Heck, how can we even effectively help you when we don't even know which car/engine we're dealing with???

Here's the only link I'll post for you, the HPI website. Go there, look up your cars owners manual, read it then come back if you have more questions. There are a lot of very helpful people on this site but, really, you have to put forth some effort too...
http://www.hpiracing.com/home/

Hope that was not too negative for ya
Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey...he might think he broke it in properly. Did all the idle tanks, more at 1/4 throttle, etc., who knows....just didnt' play with the needles. Or maybe he did tune the needles....by the book, but without understanding exactly what he was doing.

He seems polite. Why not be polite back?

Anyway, there's some good advice here. Try to see how the linkage from the servo to the carb works, and how the idle stop screw works, and adjust it (as per Twomanytoys' post).

Even if you get nowhere, you can come back here with the ability to ask better questions (sort of what DaveG55's post suggests). I"m sure all will be willing to help.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:22 PM
olkleaf

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

I broke it in properly

no negative remarks please.
there are a few needles on there and im not sure which one goes to which. Are you talking about the black one that is pointing straight up right next to the incoming fuel line? i need to see how the factory setting look like i have never messed with them so i wouldnt know how to adjust them back to factory default.
Wow,
Ok, I'm gonna try not to be negative...

First, you DID NOT break the engine in properly. You say you've never touched the needles and adjusting them is PART OF A PROPER BREAK-IN. It does not sound like you have even touched the owners manual that came with your truck, except to possibly set it aside. The very first thing you need to do is find that manual and READ IT. Ninty, maybe 100, percent of the questions you have asked are answered in that manual. Your car will never run properly and you will never be able to diagnose any problems with it until you become throughly familier with the manual, engine and car.

How can you possibly expect us to help you when you don't even know/understand the terms used? Heck, how can we even effectively help you when we don't even know which car/engine we're dealing with???

Here's the only link I'll post for you, the HPI website. Go there, look up your cars owners manual, read it then come back if you have more questions. There are a lot of very helpful people on this site but, really, you have to put forth some effort too...
http://www.hpiracing.com/home/

Hope that was not too negative for ya
i agree with you it doent sound like he even read the manual. it seems like he cant even figure out which needle is which.

READ the manual before you post seriusly. i have looked through hpi manual they are so simple and they say EVERTHING you need to know. for bigginers hpi manuals go above and beond. some time i dont undersatand how someone can have a problem with hpi but it alwasy pops up becouse people DONT READ.

sorry if im not polite but sometimes it takes tough love to get it through people's heads.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:58 PM
twomanytoys

Argess

even the poster stated he did not know what the needles were. You cant explain how to tune without at least reading the manual to see what everyone is talking about.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True.....I was inferring that some people can follow instructions without having a clue what they are doing....and later discussions on the subject are lost on them. oh well......you can lead a horse to water.....etc......
Old 03-31-2009, 07:19 AM
champ48
My Feedback: (23)

Take a look at this video and it'll show you the settings and how to work with em. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tMUfbQCzI8