Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

idle for ~5 secs, then shuts off. Need help.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

idle for ~5 secs, then shuts off. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:00 PM
littlebahamutgtr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle for ~5 secs, then shuts off. Need help.

Hi,

I am very new to the RC scene and just got a HPI Nitro RS4 RTR3( Silvia body). I got this car from Hobby People and was very excited to finally have a Nitro car. When I first got it, it simply wouldn't start at all. I took it back this morning to have ther Hobby People employee troubleshoot it. They played around with the screws for a while until it finally started. However, I started it up at home to find that after about 5 seconds of idling, it stalls. I am not sure which kind of screw such as idle/high speed I should be trying to adjust. Please help me solve this problem so I can go nitro drifting on the parking lot soon. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2009, 09:04 PM
budha24

Default RE: idle for ~5 secs, then shuts off. Need help.

Did you break in the engine when you first got it. That needs to be the first step with any new engine. It probably gives you some tips in the directions to accomplish this if not their are a bunch of threads on ways to do this.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:39 AM
littlebahamutgtr

I don't see how I can even do the break in part if I can't get it to idle. Manual says the first step in breaking in the engine is to put the body on a block and let the wheels run until the 1st tank is gone. I can't do it if the car keeps stalling out every 5 seconds. =/
Old 04-19-2009, 08:16 AM
derrick05

Break in pains,thats what youre going through.Break in pains can be quite frustrating to someone that has never broken in a nitro engine[:@]When it does start for 5 seconds,give it just enough throttle to keep it running.DO NOT give it more than 1/4 throttle You need to read all the information you can find on breaking in a nitro engine.Theres tons of info for that here on RCU
Old 04-19-2009, 09:00 AM
RCguru09
Banned

Set the carb back to factory settings. check all the lines for leaks. Replace the glow plug with a new one. I just had a simular problem and it was the glow plug. BAD.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:15 PM
NickNitro26

start off by setting the idle with high enough so that the wheels don't start turning on their own, if that still doesn't help, lean out the LSN (low speed needle) a little bit
Old 04-20-2009, 11:52 PM
littlebahamutgtr

ORIGINAL: RCguru09

Set the carb back to factory settings. check all the lines for leaks. Replace the glow plug with a new one. I just had a simular problem and it was the glow plug. BAD.
After going through your idea of setting it back to factory settings according to the manual, it finally started working! Just to be sure, I took it over to Hobby People, the place I bought the Nitro car to make sure it is running fine. They did a couple of adjustment on it because they said that my idle is high. Other than that, thanks for the help! I also want to thank everyone else here who tried to help me. This forum looks like it is a popular place to be with RC car/boat/plane nuts are.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:34 AM
HomeDawwg

Not having a go here, but nitro engines (especially new engines once broken in) will need to be tuned most times you run them. Relying on a hobby shop to do so will just cost you a heap and you wont ever learn to tune it yourself. It certainly can be very frustrating to get it going at first, but when you figure out a problem for yourself then you will know what to look for next time.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Chris_RC

If you are ever in doubt of tuning, read Ron Paris tuning guides. He was the best nitro engine guru ever, until he died in 2001. Still, I read his stuff and now I am a much better tuner!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
RCguru09
Banned

ORIGINAL: littlebahamutgtr

ORIGINAL: RCguru09

After going through your idea of setting it back to factory settings according to the manual, it finally started working! Just to be sure, I took it over to Hobby People, the place I bought the Nitro car to make sure it is running fine. They did a couple of adjustment on it because they said that my idle is high. Other than that, thanks for the help! I also want to thank everyone else here who tried to help me. This forum looks like it is a popular place to be with RC car/boat/plane nuts are.
Right on the MONEY!!!. Watch the plugs as they become a simular problem. Nitro is a PAIN to start but when you get it right it can be alot of fun but the fuel is expensive. []