Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Brushed vs Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:55 PM
AMOUREDTANK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brushed vs Brushless

Sorry for the new thread in such short amount of time.. but it no longer is slash vs sc10. ive decided to go sc10..now my only question is brushed or brushless..Now now im not asking which is better hands down i know its brushless.. What my concern is, is $$$...I can get the sc10 kit for around $199 give or take.. If i build the kit going brushless right off the bat seems like a no brainer to me but the initial sticker shock putting it all together may kill me.. Whereas the sc10 with a brushed motor i can get for just about over $200, $209 -$239 at my local shop, cant remember the exact price..But i spend the extra $10-$30 to get the brushed motor sc10 then down the road once i have burned up the brushed motor i have to upgrade to brushless and get a new lipo.. so its like im wasting the money im having to spend for getting the truck with a brushless and buying a battery for that engine...then maybe a year down the road having that stuff be obsolete and then spending more money on a brushless system with a nice lipo when that 10-30 plus cost of decent battery could have just gone straight to the brushless/lipo system. I know the kit is worth doing just simply for the fact of knowing your truck inside and out.. but is getting a truck with and engine already a better way to go? basically asking is rtr better and how long will that brushed last bashing everyday and will the performance of a brushed thrill me enough or is it the smarter choice to just go kit and put whatever engiine i want in it and go straight brushless?

If you do believe kit and brushless are the smart first choice..what brushless engine would be a good fit in the SC10? And with that engine is there a certain lipo that would give the best performance?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:19 PM
chaserogesr14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brushed vs Brushless

I saw some brushless sc10 on a dry track and it was way way way too much power
Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 PM
iexion

What about looking at just getting a bushless ESC and a brushed motor? Some Brushless ESC take both brushed and brushless motors.
Altho in the long run it usually ends up being cheaper just to buy a Brushless combo ( motor and ESC )
Old 05-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Druss

Personally I think you're over analyzing. Just get the SC10 and the best esc/motor that you can afford and go. I think you're going to enjoy it whether you have brushed or brushless.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:39 AM
AMOUREDTANK

I very well may be over analyzing but thats just my nature.. If i am going to spend money on something its got to be something I am sure about...So like you say if motor is not a big deciding factor in the purchase of the truck, then how about rtr vs kit.. kit will be fully built by me and will have whatever motor i decide etc.. rtr though on the other hand will be a little less of an initial hit.. Is building the kit something that makes that first intial $$$ worth it in the long run knowing the inside and out of your truck... or can you save our self $$$ and just take the rtr apart and use the kit instructions to put it back together? What it boils down to is do you believe rtr is worthy out of the box ready to bring you fund and excitement for a long period of time or is kit the clear way to go better engine straight of the bat with more longevity?
Old 05-29-2009, 03:10 AM
Spetz

You have to learn to paragraph, use correct punctuation, grammar etc when you're writing long pieces of text.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Access

If you are planning on racing the SC10, just get the brushless Novak Havoc 17.5/13.5 or the 8.5 (for mod class).  It's $130. or so for the ESC and motor.  Whatever class your track runs the SC10 in.  If it's just for bashing, get the 8.5 or get the sidewinder + 4600 motor if you want a little more power (with a 3s LiPo).  Now there is also a Havoc 3s but that is a little more expensive.

There's no crime in thinking over a purchase before you make it.  I would not waste any money on brushed motors as you will just end up tossing them in a few months.  Brushless there are pleanty of people still runn the exact same motor and ESC from 3-5 years ago. 
Old 05-29-2009, 08:43 AM
AMOUREDTANK

thank you for the info
Old 05-29-2009, 12:08 PM
disjaukifa
My Feedback: (14)

It depends on what you are going to do. My wife has a Slash which is similar to the SC10. All she does is bash around the yard and hit small jumps we make out of cardboard boxes. She burnt up the 12T motor which is fine, not really a fan of that motor anyways.

When I looked into a replacement for it, I looked at upgrading her to a brushless system and the cheapest system was the Novak 8.5 system at like 130ish. However she doesn't need the brushless system so I just ended up getting her a Venom Fireball 13T double wound motor. If she was getting into racing I would probably go with a brushless system but since all we do is bash around the yard I didn't see the point.

I just depends on what you plan on doing with the trruck . . .

To me brushed is cheaper but slower while brushless is faster but way more expensive . . .

My two cents

-Disjaukifa
Old 05-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Access

Once you start needing comm cuts and new brushes the cost of brushed can add up to more pretty quickly, it's really just whether you are paying it all up front or paying it over the next 3-6 months or so.  Most LHSs will charge $30. or so for a comm cut, or it's $250+ for your own comm lathe, then new brushes can run all over the place, depending on the quality or softness you want. 
Old 05-29-2009, 01:30 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Imo if there is only $30 difference beteen the kit and RTR, get the RTR. You can use it as is and see if it is enough for you. If you need more you can sell the esc, motor, and radio for at least $30 and get the difference back. Not to mention the body on the RTR is awesome.
I wish i would have known they were going to make a RTR after I bought my kit, I would have waited.

ORIGINAL: disjaukifa

It depends on what you are going to do. My wife has a Slash which is similar to the SC10. All she does is bash around the yard and hit small jumps we make out of cardboard boxes. She burnt up the 12T motor which is fine, not really a fan of that motor anyways.

When I looked into a replacement for it, I looked at upgrading her to a brushless system and the cheapest system was the Novak 8.5 system at like 130ish. However she doesn't need the brushless system so I just ended up getting her a Venom Fireball 13T double wound motor. If she was getting into racing I would probably go with a brushless system but since all we do is bash around the yard I didn't see the point.

I just depends on what you plan on doing with the trruck . . .

To me brushed is cheaper but slower while brushless is faster but way more expensive . . .

My two cents

-Disjaukifa
Just an FYI, the XL-5 esc is not rated to handle the 13 turn venom motor. It has a 15 turn limit on 540 sized motors. You may burn the esc up.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 PM
disjaukifa

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

Just an FYI, the XL-5 esc is not rated to handle the 13 turn venom motor. It has a 15 turn limit on 540 sized motors. You may burn the esc up.
Then how the crap does it run the Titan 12T, its a 550 but the only difference is the length of the barrel . . . this is why I really hate dealing with Traxxas . . . .

-Disjaukifa
Old 05-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Access

Titan 12T isn't on the same scale as real or proper 540 motors, it's a pretty weak motor in the scheme of things.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:52 PM
disjaukifa

ORIGINAL: Access

Titan 12T isn't on the same scale as real or proper 540 motors, it's a pretty weak motor in the scheme of things.
Yeah well now I am going to have to wait for the Venom Fireball to get here, then return it and then wait for the the 15T Fireball to get here . . . looks like two weeks before the truck is going to be fixed.

-Disjaukifa
Old 09-10-2009, 11:39 PM
wantboost

how will i know if the BL motor will fit in the spot of the 540 motor. ARe they the same size?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:42 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

dont go brushed 2 much crap involved. changing brushes, Truing the Com, motor cleaner blah blah. go brushless no maintenance is awesome
Old 09-10-2009, 11:46 PM
wantboost

ORIGINAL: FP 4LC4PON3

dont go brushed 2 much crap involved. changing brushes, Truing the Com, motor cleaner blah blah. go brushless no maintenance is awesome
thats what i want is BL but i m asking how i will know it will fit in a 540 spot
Old 09-10-2009, 11:57 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

well if you go to lets say towerhobby and you look at a motor lets say this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWLX0&P=ML

NOTES FROM OUR TECH DEPARTMENT (Located at the bottom of the page)

This is the Havoc Spec Brushless Sensored ESC and 17.5T Motor System
from Novak.
17.5T system specifically designed for vintage Trans-Am racing and
is approved for ROAR spec brushless racing.

FEATURES: Meets ROAR specifications
Rebuildable 540 size motor equipped with sintered rotor for precise
throttle response and high temperature resistance, motor also has
shielded sensor cable

also that link is just for reference im not a novak fan always been a mamba fan while my friend is a novak junkie. plus it will depend on what your going to do with it but if your going to bash id stick the fastest i could get in the truck but if your going to race i dont know race rules or what motors to use for racing so i couldnt help you there. i strictly bash more fun in my eyes.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:00 PM
teacher brent

Another option you might look at is to go cheap on a esc motor combo to learn with. Look online for a tamiya esc and a silvercan motor to get it going and have a good time with. Gear it low for torque and you won't trash the truck before you learn. To drve and set it up. 20 30 bucks or so, then keep it as a spare set and go goofy with brushless power. Traxxas xl5 can be had for cheap too.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:46 PM
rebuilder

You might as well go brushless up front....................you will eventually, its what we do..............."Hmmmm, this is fun but i wish it was faster", will exit from your mouth one day.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:56 PM
wantboost

whats the max a TL-01 can handle.
I am unsure if i should get the 35A or 60a ezrun and if i should run 7.8v nimh, 8.4v nimh or 11.1vliop. How much current would a 8t to 10t motor pull with or without speed tuned gears

Old 09-11-2009, 10:26 PM
wantboost

anyone??