Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Jobs of RC people

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 PM
lancer123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jobs of RC people

Old 06-04-2009, 11:39 PM
prop
My Feedback: (1)

I am a physician. I like airplanes and the smell of glow fuel in the morning. Flying is fun. Building is interesting and gives one confidence about understanding models. I also like to use Realflight for training and experience. As a boy, I had a newspaper route when I was about 14 and worked on the weekends and helped my Dad in his store.

Prop

Old 06-05-2009, 08:01 AM
socshooter
My Feedback: (45)

I'm a special operations  consultant.

You will be surprised that the majority of the RC pilots are older. Ive been in the hobby for 25 years and continue to enjoy it as much as I did when i was your age.

Good luck and keep flying.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm an Optometrist and since graduating U of Houston '89 worked in a hospital with a surgeon. I took care of any patient's condition that didn't require surgery. Idid pre-op and post-opcare. Really satisfying work. I have since openedmy own practice with 3 other optometrists- one of whom I've known since we were kids! 14 is not too young to have a job although conditions are slightly different, now, with litigation, et al. I worked at father's drugstore (we had a soda fountain before store burned down) and if you didn't like it you could leave- i.e.- no pay! After work I worked tobacco, hauled hay, mowed grass, anything to make a few bucks and buy airplane stuff! Good luck!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:44 PM
509boatman55

I am a retired chef; my last job was with Amtrak. I worked the Empire Builder (Seattle to Chicago,six days on the rail and then five off.) I did not have much time during my career for hobbies so I am enjoying my retirement. To the fourteen year olds,working and nonThings are very different today so don't compare yourself or your expieriences with the standards of the past. I honestly don't remember not working but that had to do with living in a farming community(most people did way back then). As long as you learn not to expect something for nothing, you will be alright. I don't know who said it  first-"I don't Know anyone who looked up from their deathbed and said " I wished I had worked more!"
Old 06-05-2009, 01:41 PM
petey3

I know that this is a little late but late is better than never.  I am a soldier in the US Army.  Currently in Iraq with my 2 helicopters.  I fly them whenever I can. They are Esky Belt CP and EFlite Blade CP Pro
Old 06-05-2009, 02:42 PM
cenracer1

I am a car salesman for a chrysler, jeep and dodge dealer in northern NJ.... business isn't too bad here in the northeast, but could be alot better... I've been into r/c since the mid 80's.... mostly stick with Cars, trucks and Helicopters now.. when I can find the time... When I was 14, I was working as a lifeguard at the local beach every summer and playing sports during the school year... My son is now 14 and won't be working this summer because we are taking alot of the summer off for vacations. He does fix computers as a small side job, but he will be working more next year.. He wants to find some kind of IT job if he can or will work at the local supermarket as a cashier for extra money.. I buy all his r/c stuff, so he saves what he can and uses the money for computer stuff....
Old 06-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

I work in manufacturing for this place:
www.rell.com

Soldering, welding, and general assembly of a lot of different electronic units.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:44 PM
osxpro
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am a Computer Systems Engineer that specializes in Macintosh systems (Enterprise level). I manage about 100 Macs with 30-40 PC mixed in. I love what i do but I love the RC hobby even more. I just turned 42 but I feel like I'm 18 when I'm flying. I'm married to a very independent carrer woman. She is the best gal a guy could ever ask for. She makes her own money and tells me to go flying if I've spent too much time around the house or have had a bad week.
I do a bunch of side work for mom & pop types... Side jobs brings in an $300.00-$600.00 a month usually. Every dime goes right into my RC airplane addiction! Side jobs are Non-Wifable income!!!!!!

By the way, I was mowing yards since the age of 12. I was the neighborhood yard boy 9 months out of the year. I spent boat loads of money on building military aircraft models but I never had to ask my parents for a dime!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 04:50 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

ORIGINAL: private pilot 2

I work for GOODRICH, landing gear division , formerly B.F. GOODRICH AEROSPACE
my dad (currently an unemployed machinist) worked for Goodrich for about a year after they bought out the company he was working for.sounds like they bought them out for jobs/contracts and the rights to some of the stuff they were producing (mostly millitary type stuff). then closed the doors on that machine shop and moved everything back to i think it was coneticut.
anyway, to get back on topic.
im a 25 year old unemployed hustler.had a retail gig for a while, hated it, got laidoff. havent bothered to find a new job yet, not that theres any jobs out here to find
Old 06-05-2009, 04:56 PM
ultraclass98

I work as a Electronic Technician for the USPS. I have been in and out of RC since the 70's cars trucks boats used to race boats now planes, hopeing to retire in a few years and travel the country fishing and flying planes.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

I'm an IT Director
Old 06-05-2009, 10:31 PM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: petey3

I know that this is a little late but late is better than never. I am a soldier in the US Army. Currently in Iraq with my 2 helicopters. I fly them whenever I can. They are Esky Belt CP and EFlite Blade CP Pro
You got my full support brother. Keep up the good work and thank you.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:40 AM
zxknight

i am a help desk tech.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:36 AM
matty_p80

ORIGINAL: al

I make the toy's you guys play with!! been doing this basically for the last twenty yrs. previously QA engineer and VP for an aerospace mfg making nav systems for the military.

Al
JTEC/RADIOWAVE
www.jtecrc.com
dooooood! i was in your neck of the woods last october!!! got friends that live down on Lake Norman and friends in Huntersville! hooked up with another enthusiast whilst in that area who started the thread 'heli stuff and fellowship' on here!!! he actually flies at the mooresville rc club!

Matty )<>}}}}}]@>
Old 06-07-2009, 01:38 AM
cumquat

i am 15 and as of now i dont work. not to say i dont earn my rc's, i am the only person in the house who doesnt need a chair to change the light bulbs. i am also the only one fit enough to do yard work without a break every half hour. my grandpa is too old to do half the thing he used to do, so i pick up where he cant. next mounth after my 16th b-day i plan to apply for a job at the hobby shop fixing up trashed cars and trucks as well as helping people that dont know what they are doing learn what to do. one of the guys that works there doesnt do rc and doesnt know all that much beyond what he is told so i will see if i can work the same days he does to handle issues that need experence, although i might not have that experence eather
Old 06-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Jpsonoma

I think I'm one of the few design engineers that still has a job in Michigan! I'll keep my fingers crossed, lol.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Snipin_Willy

I'm an engineer for IC Corp.  They manufacture buses, mostly school buses bus with some commercial units. 
Old 06-07-2009, 04:19 PM
MTboy

I'm a construction forman/crewboss.  But the way things have been going not to sure how much long it will last.  Been working part time the last few months and the rest of the time I'm a stay at home dad.  I wouldn't mind being a full time stay at home if money was better since it gives me tons of time for my love.. But no money for it..lol  May have to put a smile on at a local fast food store but even they aren't hiring.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:35 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

I know that this is a little late but late is better than never. I am a soldier in the US Army. Currently in Iraq with my 2 helicopters. I fly them whenever I can. They are Esky Belt CP and EFlite Blade CP Pro

Thanks for keeping us free and safe! I'm just curious, How do you keep your helis safe and what doyou put them in when you travel?
Again Thank You for all you do for us and putting your life on the line for your country!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:20 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: Jpsonoma

I think I'm one of the few design engineers that still has a job in Michigan! I'll keep my fingers crossed, lol.
were do you work? my grandpa retired a few years ago, he worked for checker motors wich was bought by gm about 20 years ago. he was one of the last people to leave on his own free will
Old 06-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Jpsonoma

ORIGINAL: moron88

ORIGINAL: Jpsonoma

were do you work? my grandpa retired a few years ago, he worked for checker motors wich was bought by gm about 20 years ago. he was one of the last people to leave on his own free will
Luckily I'm not associated with the auto industry. I'm in the defense industry instead, and although things are slowing down a bit it's still safer than the auto industry at the moment.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:31 PM
goneracing_83

machine operator for a road const. company. have got out of the hobby 3 times!!! i just cant find myself staying away from it. now into large scale RC's.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:34 PM
mechanizeddeath

ha... I was looking at the dates on these posts and couldn't figure out why they were in the future. That's when i realized they were actually a year old. [&:]

I'm presently unemployed, but i'm no slacker. Started working when I was around 12 or 13 through a youth employment program for "troubled kids." My issue was ADHD. [&:] Lots of different kids in that program, and it taught me a lot more than just how to sweep and mop. Made some money and bought myself a Super Nintendo. Subsequent years funded other purchases, including the Bianchi mountain bike that I still ride to this day.

Prior to my job loss, I was the lead tech in a photo lab. That job has seen a lot of transformation since I started in late 2001. In just 8 years my job changed completely, I went from being a cross between an artist and a technician to a glorified button pusher. They obviously didn't want to pay someone with my skill and pay grade to push a button, so away I went.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:02 PM
AlienModified
My Feedback: (1)

Thank you.

And back on topic, I'm a trailer mechanic. Some prefer technician, but IMO, there's nothing technical about semi-trailers. It's a crappy job, and running my nitro trucks after work takes my mind off the job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.