Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to the RC World.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:43 PM
El_Chapusca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the RC World.

Whats up guys, Just recently got a1000$bonus and Im thinking of getting intoRC cars, but I turn to you guys for guidance and insight as im new to all this RC stuff. Im looking at getting a 1/10 scale but not sure which would be better depending on smooth road or off road Dirt/gravel.If theres and starters kits I went to my local hobby shop and was quoted an estimate of about 350 for a full starter kit. I ust want to make the right chices before I go ahead and make a decision ona good and fun rc car.

Thanks in advance

Joe.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: New to the RC World.

I start with the easy questions:
> dirt or street
> nitro (gas) or electric
> how much do you want to spend
> what did the hobby store recommend
> do you like cars, trucks, buggies, or something else

answer these and we can help you

and welcome to your new addiction.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:55 PM
El_Chapusca

-Im aiming towards street but i havea feeling Dirt is much more fun.

-Nitro wiht out a doubt

-500$ max, remember this will be my intro to the nitro rc hobby. not something to simple yet im not looking for anything too complicated.

-Hobby shop manager recommended Dirt because of the fact thatyou can ride it on both dirt and paved tracks/roads.

- Cars

Andyes Icant wait to get started with this new hobby. Mod bug might bite me really hard.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Airbus 9e

I'd suggest a nitro Monster Truck like those from Losi and HPI....you can run them just about anywhere, and they're tough as nails, so they'll be more forgiving of your "rookie mistakes"....

I'd suggest one of the Losi trucks because they come with a better radio....either the Raminator or the XXL both come with a 2.4 Ghz radio, and the Aftershock priced at $334 at A-Main has a JR AM radio....a good value....

As a beginner, no matter what type of car or truck you choose, don't get caught up in all the "upgrades"....Some of them are pure blingy junk...Once you kinda start leaning towards a particular product, start going through the forums and see what people think of some of the "upgrades" and you'll see my point....Most cars and trucks have decent manuals, and if they are'nt in the manual, a good exploded diagram can be found at most makers websites....If you learn to work on your RC, you'll save some money and frustration, and maybe have some fun in the process....

Just remember that the whole point is to have fun....
Old 08-26-2009, 09:18 PM
El_Chapusca

Thanks for the quick replies guys. currently checking out some off road rc's .
Old 08-26-2009, 10:49 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

I run a Nitro Mini MGT 3.0 from team associated and I love the Monster. This thing takes a Beating and was only 260.00 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSUN0&P=ML

seriously i also have an onroad rc and it gets old really fast. stick with offroad such as a buggy or monster.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Druss

There's a bit of a contradiction there, you said off road but also said car... car usually means on road to us so I think you're looking for a truck, buggy, monster truck or truggy.

I'd personally recommend a 1/8 truggy as the first choice. Very popular and has better stability and steering than a monster truck but has higher clearance than a buggy (truggy = truck + buggy). I think a nice, durable, entry level truggy is the Thunder Tiger ST-1. Comes with pretty much everything you need except for the gas, glow igniter and fuel bottle.

If you're looking 1/10 then you're going to be a bit more limited as there are way more 1/8 nitros than 1/10.

You also didn't state 2wd or 4wd.

If 2wd then a nice entry level short course style truck is the Traxxas Slayer.

Take a look around, there are TONS of choices, narrow it down to 5 or 6 then come back and ask opinions. These open ended questions will get you as many different answers as there are posters.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:46 AM
TIGER76

Im aiming towards street but i have a feeling Dirt is much more fun.

-Nitro wiht out a doubt
Check out the traxxas jato

btw welcome to the forums m8
Old 08-27-2009, 07:47 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jato great truck. I own one but for sure its not for begginer. Good trucks in the 1/10 field are the RC10GT 2, HPI Firestorm, Traxxas Rustler, and if you want 4wd the HPI MT2. All these trucks are great and are reasonably priced. If you want a monster truck then I would go with the HPI SAVAGE. That truck can take one hell of a beating.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:40 AM
khudzik

I'd suggest Losi Aftershock, great overall platform, excellent for plain fun and bashing and can be easily modified into a worthy MT racer. For $335 brand new how could you go wrong?
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetail.php?prod=LOSB0012
Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 PM
TRX Man

Check out this forum:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_94...tm.htm#9402274
Old 01-09-2010, 08:21 PM
dudecat

Yeah i can voucher for the aftershock. Man that thing is fun and can take a wicked beating too.