Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Best choice for 6 year-old w/ newbie parents

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Best choice for 6 year-old w/ newbie parents

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 09:54 PM
HJJFFFAA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best choice for 6 year-old w/ newbie parents

Aye, the Mini-T is pretty durable. I've done cartwheels at around 30MPH and nothing has broken yet.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:42 AM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Best choice for 6 year-old w/ newbie parents

I have read through all five pages in this thread. I realize that mom has stopped concidering the stampede and is looking for a mini now. I have a 1/16 cen MT. I also have a nitro rustler, which is about the same idea as many of the other suggestions in here. My son (4 years old at the time) had a 1/10 knock off. to be exact it was an HBX crosstiger. It was everything he needed at the time. Parts were fairly interchangable with some other RC's.

If mom is looking for something to go in grass (long-ish grass at a park or back yard) MYSELF, I would not go with a mini. Even my Nitro rustler has a hard time in the grass. Running in grass will EAT!! the batteries big time!! If I was to go back in time and look at a truck for my son who is now 6 years old I would go with a stampede. It was considered when I was looking for a truck for him. I decided on something smaller (slower) at the time. I was WRONG. It is well worth the extra $$ to get something "to fast" for him now and let him grow into it. Look for something with good ground clearance and good power. Something that can use multiple type of batteries.. So that upgradeing speed is only a matter of picking up new batteries.

IMO a truck for indoors and outdoors won't happen with a hobby grade rc.. Not for a six year old. Look for something he can use outdoors. Something that won't need much for upgrades as he grows into it. I would than either get a toy grade for indoor or a mini.. Even the 1/16 that I have would be to much for indoors for a child that has not run one yet. they are faster than you think, especially indoors. Although, the rock crawler would be a nice indoor truck...... but you are not looking for two trucks.. Piont is you may find it hard to use one truck indoors and out.

I know you decided to rule out the stampede, but I would advise you to reconcider it or yes the wheelie king. I would also advise Mom AND/OR dad to help him to run the truck for the first little while.. teach him about changing the battery and control and so on. Don't buy him an rc for right now, but him one that will be good enough for a while. Go big enough that you won't be putting out another $200-$300-$400 in a couple years..... oh geeez I'm rambleing again.

DON'T BUY A TRUCK TO FIT A SIX YEAR OLD. Buy one that you can have fun with, and teach him how to use it properly!!!!