Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do you do your own repairs or take it to the LHS?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
LHS fixes everyting for me
0.52%
LHS fixes most of my problems
0.52%
LHS bails me out of a jam now and then
6.81%
I fix my own stuff
92.15%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Do you do your own repairs or take it to the LHS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Do you do your own repairs or take it to the LHS?

Repairing RC is a major fun part of the hobby. I used to take my cars to the shop to get it fixed and tuned. I don't do that anymore. Come on, it is not rocket science, however it does take a little time to get used to it. But once you get it, you can repair anything i a RC car.

Look at the manual, order the parts and replace it. How hard is that?
Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Access

Never. I know LHS repairs are a growing market but I don't think most of those people who are paying for repairs are hanging out in RC forums.

I've seen some of the funniest things in hobby shops like guys who couldn't figure out how to remove a body clip and needed the shop to do it for them.
That and the probability that they wouldn't admit to their mechanically declined aptitude. There certainly are a fair amount of people out there like that, though.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:19 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

we have people come in and buy a truck, they have 0 experience and the mechanical prowess of a ice cube, they pay 35hr to get repairs but i always try to get them to fix it instead of having us do it ..... personally i feel if ya can't wrench it ya don't need it.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:24 PM
matthew__ruane

I only have one RC, an 18T but I figured I'd drop my opinion on this.

I personally can't believe that adults aren't mechanically inclined enough to figure out how to remove a suspension arm. It amazes me.

My dad is very "mechanically inclined" one might say. He built this crazy doghouse, it's like 5 feet tall and has vents and carpet and all kind of stuff. It's big enough to get in and sit comfortably. So yeah I've kinda grown up in that environment. I learned how to solder in the seventh grade, so that was a major help when I moved to brushless.

I enjoy taking things apart and putting them back together personally, and having it fly down the street at 40 mph when you're done working on it is pretty cool too.

Soldering is crazy fun though.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:55 PM
mini-dude

ORIGINAL: Snipin_Willy

Doesn't this hobby cost enough already without having to pay someone else to fix your stuff?
Compared to 20 years ago, this hobby is CHEAPnow and though I now have the money to let someone fix it for me, part of this hobby is supposed to be about working on your own stuff...
Old 11-07-2009, 12:00 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the best one I ever saw was a guy walked into to the LHS near me and asked one of the guys behind the counter to cut a Lexan body for him cuz he didn't know how. I just stared at him and thought to myself "What the hell". And yup they charged him 10 bucks for it.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:53 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember when all cars were kits... LHS repairing a car... talk about lazy. It isn't rocket science.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:01 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Hell, I'm just going to crash it again. Glue some bracing in there and see how many lives it has left by golly. Nothing flies better than a 5 pound plane with 4 pounds of superglue and blasa added for weight. Woo woo.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:53 AM
lee172

i did go to my LHS for soldering one time, as i couldnt do it, then i got a hotter iron and do my own.

parts and repairs aint a problem, ive got the tools and many places to buy Tamiya parts from.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:49 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

what ??? you mean there are actually hobbyshops that fix planes??never heard of that but after 30 years of flying would be nice .nah..
Old 11-07-2009, 12:13 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, If you use your mind a lot every day, sometimes you just want to let your brain cells regenerate so you let them fix it. When your low on cash that's when you do the repairs, in my case probably 100% of the time except for my real cars that I drive. I just don't have the special tools for the more intense stuff.

About the guy not knowing how to remove a body clip, give him time he has to start somewhere. I don't make fun of mechanically challanged people, I done some pretty stupid things learning the ropes myself.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:53 PM
lee172

ORIGINAL: silverman1
About the guy not knowing how to remove a body clip, give him time he has to start somewhere. I don't make fun of mechanically challanged people, .
seriously, if a person cant figure out a body clip, they need shooting as soon as possible.

A learning person i can cope with.. retards just annoy me.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:26 PM
ultramagnetic

hey well im a noob and i own one rc car but no way will i pay the lhs to do repairs because then i will never learn and i wrecked my car already and fixed it my self the only way to learn is to do it on your own or ask for advice
Old 11-07-2009, 05:54 PM
monsterbombs

i repair and make the odd part, using trips to the lhs to usually
buy alum or brass rod/sheet for fabbing and to have a look and
a chat. the one thing i do get them to do is cut comms. havnt had
it done in a while and i have a lathe but its not quite true. if i stuff
it i need a new motor. if they stuff it, they give me a new motor [8D]
20 dollars an hour [X(] thats like a small bag of stock i could fab
heaps of parts out of.

more often then not (usually new hobby shops) seem to give me a look
at some questions i ask, like i may aswel be asking how to overhaul a
lunar space buggy. some guys know about as much as the customers there
flogging the trucks off too. dont be fooled. do it yourself.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:28 PM
9five9

I don't post on here very often anymore because of close-minded, naive morons. But i feel this needs to be said. Saying a person doesn't belong in this hobby because they take their vehicle to the lhs for repairs is a douche thing to say. Making fun of those who aren't mechanically inclined is even worse for the hobby. Some people want to make sure their vehicle is fixed right (whether the lhs guys know what they're doing or not).

Also, some people want to spend more time running their vehicles and less time with them in pieces. THERE ARE PEOPLE LIKE THAT. Open your minds a little bit, people. Don't just trap the hobby in a box and say "if you're going to be in THIS hobby, then you better do things THIS way."

There are small town hobby shops closing all over the place because there's not enough business, and there are busted up rc kits collecting cob webs in peoples' closets because they simply don't know where to start. This doesn't make them stupid. Why not encourage some of these people to get their vehicles running, and at the same time, give the lhs some business so they can stay afloat.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Straick

I do all my own repairs and tuning(own and run 2 nitros). I also do repair work and tuning for other guys, but prefer to instead teach them how to do it for themselves. I will do an initial tune if it's gotten way out of wack to get them going, but will offer to teach them how to do it themselves.
When I got into the hobby, the first hobby shop I went to(and went there a lot after that) offered to teach me how to tune the engine on my Revo. Happy I took them up on it. They then told me that I was the first one that they had seen starting off in nitro that somehow already knew how to tune an engine(used to ride older snowmobiles with carbs that had mix screws on them that you could adjust while riding).
I don't have a problem with guys who take their cars to the LHS's for repairs, but feel that you should at least know how to do it yourself.

My favorite time getting material for a customization was when I was getting rid of the TRS on my REVO. Told them what I wanted to do, and they said that it would never work. Gallon of fuel later, and it's still working perfect, as well as giving sharper response.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:25 PM
OvalRacer99

ORIGINAL: offroadbasher9

I don't post on here very often anymore because of close-minded, naive morons. But i feel this needs to be said. Saying a person doesn't belong in this hobby because they take their vehicle to the lhs for repairs is a douche thing to say. Making fun of those who aren't mechanically inclined is even worse for the hobby. Some people want to make sure their vehicle is fixed right (whether the lhs guys know what they're doing or not).

Also, some people want to spend more time running their vehicles and less time with them in pieces. THERE ARE PEOPLE LIKE THAT. Open your minds a little bit, people. Don't just trap the hobby in a box and say "if you're going to be in THIS hobby, then you better do things THIS way."

There are small town hobby shops closing all over the place because there's not enough business, and there are busted up rc kits collecting cob webs in peoples' closets because they simply don't know where to start. This doesn't make them stupid. Why not encourage some of these people to get their vehicles running, and at the same time, give the lhs some business so they can stay afloat.
Great post, pertty much sums up this whole thread.
Remember guy's, we all were beginers at this hobby and needed help in some way. Instead of bashing the guy, help him out the way someone helped you when you needed it.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:45 PM
firebird78

ORIGINAL: OvalRacer99

Also, some people want to spend more time running their vehicles and less time with them in pieces. THERE ARE PEOPLE LIKE THAT. Open your minds a little bit, people. Don't just trap the hobby in a box and say ''if you're going to be in THIS hobby, then you better do things THIS way.''

Great post, pertty much sums up this whole thread.
Remember guy's, we all were beginers at this hobby and needed help in some way. Instead of bashing the guy, help him out the way someone helped you when you needed it.

personally I dont have a problem helping someone repair their rc or what not...but they should be willing to learn...at some point they will need to learn to do it themselves,.I dont see how you can rely on the lhs for everything...unless you just run in front of the store and thats it....anyways I've stated many times how thats what these forums are all about is to help each other out, and sorta hang with people that have the same intrest....but unfortuneatly there is a buncha jerks walking around with blinders on that would rather bash you then help you....whether they dont like your rc or equipment...

Old 11-08-2009, 10:16 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

back when i started messing with this hobby back in 84, there where no rtr cars. if you wanted to play you had to build it, but you could repair your car and had knowledge of how it all worked. it was outragiously expensive to play back then too, where as now ya can get into it for like 20% of what it cost back then.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Access

I don't think anyone is hating on those people or saying it's necessarily a bad thing. If nothing else, having people like that who are able and willing to pay is a good thing, b'cos the shops profit from it and can stay in business. It's one of the few things an LHS can do that an internet-only shop can't. Keeping local shops in business is a never a bad thing.

As for finding it humorous, I often do, but that's part of life. Sometimes I can't help but to laugh at a situation like that, I realize it's disrespectful to laugh out loud or poke fun at people. But the alternative is to go through life all serious, always holding back for fear you'll offend someone or hurt their feelings. I've taught people before, when they've been willing to learn. But some of the guys are just so full of themselves that it's impossible to teach them anything.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:17 PM
rendezvous944
Banned

when you live in a remote area You learn to fix your own stuff. I prefer making my own parts NOW. The kitsI have are no longer made and I like running them. When it breaks I make a new part If I can. FACT. I just finished fixing my MRP high roller. 2 gears were gone or bad. NO problem I. found the material and with some magic machining I fixed it. No more plastic gears. Nothing is imposible for me to fix.Im at the level now wher I can make a whole kit.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I have never heard of someone who couldnt fix there own rc car. Maybe if your 11 and dont know how to use a screwdriver.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:58 PM
monsterbombs

i support the lhs often to the point were it feels im putting some of there kids
through college dont mind that, like the help and having a chat and sharing
stuff. i just thought its valid to state that theres no special rc mechanic at these shops,
it might be the first time for them pulling down your mgt to do a g/box or
whatever. get some tools have a browse through the manuals or online
AND GIVE IT A GO! throwing yourself in the deep end can be scary, but often
learn the most from it. and hey if you get stuck theres digital cameras and this forum.
probably the best advice around with little tricks.

as far as i am concerned i am and always will be a newbie. i like it. theres always
something to learn about these little vehicles and the technology. i only found out
yesterday that O.S made a rotary motor, how cool is that
Old 11-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: silverman1
About the guy not knowing how to remove a body clip, give him time he has to start somewhere. I don't make fun of mechanically challanged people, I done some pretty stupid things learning the ropes myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZmD_KKnVv8
Here's a video of what I mean. Personally I find the whole thing very funny. I don't feel sorry for the guy at all, he should have known better.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:49 PM
firebird78

I remember very well my first rc....1/8th nitro buggy.....thing came with the needle settings so far off...I couldnt get the dang thing to start for nothing..that lil engine had me and the 2 other mechanics in our shop mad as hell, I'm suprised it didnt get thrown against the wall to be quite honest....luckily I got on rcu and talked to Eddie (yall may know him as ehroof or himotoracingusa)...he got me up and running quick fast and in a hurry...

granted I have been in the hobby some time now, I'm still learning the fine tuning bit for racing...I live in a rural area hundreds of miles from a lhs so there for I had to sink or swim by learning everything about rc either on my own or help through rcu (and I'm still learning)....one thing I did learn real fast is were to post my questions...and I'll leave that at that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.