Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

LMAO! Awesome deal!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 05:16 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LMAO! Awesome deal!

I just picked up yet another GS motor, this time it was completely locked and wouldn't turn. Disassembled it last night and noticed the connecting rod was pulled out a little from the crank and I pushed it back in towards the crank and it turned over without hesitation, reassembled it and noticed compression is above OK but not the best. Put it in my buggy this morning and it runs!!! THIS MOTOR WAS $18! But eventually I will want to replace conn rod and bearings and later the sleeve/piston.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:19 PM
bluefluffybunny

Bargain!

What temp does the B01 engine run at cause as I have previously written mine will only run hot even when rich?
Old 07-05-2003, 05:23 PM
rcharry-RCU

my motor always seems to run hot
Old 07-05-2003, 05:29 PM
bluefluffybunny

So does mine. Earlier observations I made:

My B-01 engine (standard GS Storm with the blue head) runs hot. I have run lots of nitro engines before and have a good understanding of how they run and tuning. I always look after my engines and prefer to run them on the rich side so that they keep cool ensuring a long life and no drop off in compression/performance.

I ran my engine in very carefully and slowly leaned it out so that it was no longer "blubbering". I was very surprised to find that the engine began to run hotter than I would normally like and so bought an IR temp gun which confirmed my thoughts. I have played around with both low and main settings to ensure that one is not way out and being compensated by over adjustment of the other resulting in a lean mixture at certain points but this is not the case. I have now tuned it as rich as possible on both settings without it "blubbering" and the temperature at the plug ranges from 290 to 340 degrees f. There is plenty of blue smoke and I have tried three different fuels and both 10 and 15 nitro as well as different plugs etc. with very little difference.

I do not like running the engine this hot but it is the only way that it will run properly. Compression is fine and the thing runs fine but I don't like running that hot but there is no other way of using this engine.

One point to look out for is that the storm tank has a (stupid) adjustable pressure fitting for the exhaust pressure pipe that fits to the tank lid. Make sure that this is open and that there are no blockages anywhere.

In answer to anybody who thinks that it is too lean: it is not! Nor are there any blockages or leaks and yes I do have a lot of experience of tuning engines!

Might just be this example as engines do vary quite a lot from one to the other but I would be interested to hear if anybody has the same engine and has temperature readings for it.

If you don't have a temp gun the best method is to spit on the head: if it sizzles that is fine is it immediately boils like mad you are well over 250 degrees.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:35 PM
rcharry-RCU

It also has to do with altitude. i live a mile up, i dont know where your at but that maybe the difference.
I bought an aftermarket head for mine. It doesnt seem to do much but i dont think ive ever gone over 300.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Kuma

What glow plug are you using? Tried a cooler plug, I don't remember which plug I use but it might be a McCoy 59 or #8 (I have too many engines to keep track of)? I have another GS B01 and it averages 250-270F which is about right. Air leaks is usually the cause, the backplate O-ring kind of sucks, I have the very same problem on my XTM 18 which uses the exact same design.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:41 PM
bluefluffybunny

I think it is the engine design.

It is interesting to have an IR temp. gun as you can see the effect of mixture very easily.

I also have a Shumacher XTR with the Thunder Tiger engine that runs beautifully cool even when dragging it for 150 yards.

Mind you, my B01 does run OK it's just hotter than I would like.

I want to get a new buggy anyway so will see what happens then.

The altitude thing is interesting. I'm quite near sea level but my GS engine still gets hot.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:41 PM
rcharry-RCU

Mine runs GREAT with the McCoy 8, and thats the only plug it runs good with.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:43 PM
bluefluffybunny

Have tried all kinds of plugs from and usually use either an OS 5 or Firething F2.

I haven't actually taken the back plate off so do you think that is a good idea?
Old 07-06-2003, 11:06 PM
rcharry-RCU

If they made a backplate for it i would buy it QUICK!!! I Hate having to pull in the middle of the main!
Old 07-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Kuma

To my experience, the pullstarter on the GS motor was the easiest out of all the motors I've owned, the OS comes second. The XTM 18 has the exact same design as the GS but was a pain to get going and I got the worst blisters from it. I went for an HPI roto starter for the XTM, but it wouldn't make sense if I put it on the buggy since the rear shock tower is in the way. I'm going to get a nonpull backplate anyways but I like to have both handy especially for backyard bashing so I don't have to drag along the starter box.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:10 AM
Kuma

Hey, just an update... I just got back in from playing with my MBX after a month of not playing with it and just ran the new GS I got for $18. Good news is that it runs beautifuly with a fresh McCoy #8 at 180-205F and reaches 233F tops with plenty of smoke, unbelievable deal! I might keep using this engine til it decides to die or when it's time to rebuild. I might get a Nova Race aftermarket head for it too.