Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is your greatest (or worst) trade ever

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What is your greatest (or worst) trade ever

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:21 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your greatest (or worst) trade ever

I will start with the worst. Itraded a Stampede(I had a few at the time for a few things - some cheap buggy, a indoor heli, and what was suppose to be three stormlaunchers with lipos, Iwas going to break it up and sell everything). Needless to say it was all pretty much junk, and Ilearned my lesson.Ialso traded a S-Maxx for a Heli-Maxx FP which turned out to be junk also (the guy said it was pretty much brand new)Since then Ihave been on the other end getting great trades

The best trade I ever made was a sweet deal, Itraded three helis, a CX2, Honeybee FP, and Honeybee CP2, for a very large lot of trucks and parts. There were three .26 piccos in there which Isold for about $250 (way more than ihad into the helis) also a HPIMT2 which Itraded for a Losi Mini Rock Crawler, and a Ofna Twin Titan. I figure Icame out about $500 ahead in that deal.

Lets hear your great(or not so great)trade stories.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:52 PM
scoobs92

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is your greatest (or worst) trade ever

i traded a old sega game gear that i had sitting around never used it for a nitro pede that was in great shape then i sold it i regret selling it i miss that little truck
Old 12-21-2009, 06:43 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

I got a great deal, found here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9276409/anchors_9276491/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9276491

The worst was a trade for a BMW M3 racing suspension that I pulled off mine to trade for a different racing suspension and the guy tried to trade me  his original suspension off his M3. When I called him out on it he said "oops! I must have put them in the wrong box" He ended up never having a suspension. GRR!
Old 12-21-2009, 06:47 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie once traded a beat RS4 Pro3 for, what was supposed to be, a Duratrax Nitro Evader (which had just come out at the time) that needed "an engine and clutch"

Said evader was actually a Maximum ST missing half its parts.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:21 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my best deal ever was i traded a 1/4 scale rc that didn't run for $1500 cash and 3 5th scales.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:25 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: rast4man

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92...tm.htm#9276491

The worst was a trade for a BMW M3 racing suspension that I pulled off mine to trade for a different racing suspension and the guy tried to trade me his original suspension off his M3. When I called him out on it he said ''oops! I must have put them in the wrong box'' He ended up never having a suspension. GRR!
Which gen M3?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:29 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

The ones that are improved by putting a Ford 5.0 in them.

Oh, wait

That's all of them
Old 12-21-2009, 09:37 PM
futureboy1969

Well mine just came a couple of weks ago. I was selling one of my nitro rustlers o craigslist. and some guy answered my add with wanting to trade
me his Cen Matrics Truggy, bumb box, Axial 28 motor(runs great), Cen 28 motor that came on the truggy that never even saw any fuel yet...Still has yet to see fuel.!!
two bodies. The Cen did have a broken arm....New one came with it. Even my wife said "Is this guy for real"? 800.00 of is stuff for 300 of mine.....
Yae for me.....lol
Old 12-21-2009, 10:45 PM
rast4man

E36 w/ ActiveAutowerks Supercharger (which is being sold right now).

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92...tm.htm#9276491

The worst was a trade for a BMW M3 racing suspension that I pulled off mine to trade for a different racing suspension and the guy tried to trade me his original suspension off his M3. When I called him out on it he said ''oops! I must have put them in the wrong box'' He ended up never having a suspension. GRR!
Which gen M3?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:47 PM
rast4man

Show me a Ford Mustang that is street legal that can take my M3 and you sir, will receive a check for $500

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Oh, wait

That's all of them
Old 12-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Troopermanaic
My Feedback: (7)

Show me a Ford Mustang that is street legal that can take my M3 and you sir, will receive a check for $500

Oh, wait

That's all of them
I dont think any mustang can do that except maybe the mach 3's? Anyway lemme break out our 65gto with 455 "only thing stock on the motor is the block" 550HP engine with hurst slap shifter and posi traction in the rear... I think that auta bout do it =D

ANYWAY

The worst trade I ever made was I traded a pretty much RTR nitro Savage SS with many sets of wheels and electronics for a wheely king that had a burnt out esc, broken radio and receiver >=[.... Live and learn.

My best trade of all time HAD to be the Slash I traded for the $800 GS XUT with $1000 worth of extras. I consider myself one of the luckiest people in the world after that.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

When i first got into the hobby i had a tower hobbies nitro st-15 i bought brand new. It was junk from day 1, and at the time it needed an engine(it wasnt worth rebuilding), had a broken chassis brace on the transmission, mismatched tires, and no servo's or radio gear.

I was at the LHS and this guy told the guy behind the counter that he had a RTR duratrax evader for sale. Well, i asked him if he wanted to trade and he jumped all over it. So a couple days later he drove to my house with a RTR evader in good shape, and also gave me several batteries, a charger, a bunch of odd and end parts and a couple extra ESC's and motors. Then he left with nothing but my junk Nitro st-15 and some parts i had for it. I definately came out ahead there because the truck i had wasnt worth anything.

Most of my other trades have been pretty even I think, but that one really made me happy.

Eric
Old 12-22-2009, 01:40 AM
rast4man

It really sounds like we've all gotten that one "magical" deal and we've also got the less than desirable deals. I'm always hunting down deals so I hope my lucky streak continues. Congrats to everyone that has gotten a sweet deal and for those that haven't, keep searching, it'll come.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:26 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Oh, wait

That's all of them
Define take, and is this $500 in addition to gas money used to get there and back? And it can be anything powered by a Ford 5.0, right?

Also, Mustang? Come on. Wasn't talking about Mustangs.

On non-RC related deals, though, when ThunderbirdJunkie had his 89 Trooper, his buddy calls him
"YO I KNOW THIS GUY GIVIN AWAY A TROOPER JUST LIKE YOURS"
get there
It's a Mitsubishi Montero.

Does ThunderbirdJunkie care?

Of course not. $200 in parts later, it's a decent daily driver, sold a bit later still, for $2800
Old 12-22-2009, 07:41 AM
J.D.T

Oh, wait

That's all of them
LOL guys like this started fights amongst the mustang boys around here because we had to argue who was going to take this guys cash, looks like the Sarasota club is a little smaller and into older stangs so you many not be able to find a race there

http://www.mustangclubofwestcentralflorida.org/

BUT the orlando club, hold on Nelly, 20 cars that could beat you roadracing and ?100? that could beat you drag racing, lots of cruise night options to show up and get schooled at

http://www.midfloridamustangclub.com/default.htm

I once traded a semi built pede with an ancient hacker esc and c 50 set up for 16 cells to a guy for a "screwed up" 1/5 scale fg, turned out to only need a pull start, bashed it for three months and sold for $1300 with an old M8 radio I needed to sell anyway.

Once got burned on a ebay deal, alledged mp 777 WC edition, it came and was a SP1 with stripped/wallored chassis holes, burnt motor and bald tires, paid $90 so it wasn't terrible but by the time I fixed the car I had a couple hundred in it and didn't even drive it so I could sell it looking all pretty looking.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We all like deals, but mine have been mostly limited to LHS sales. Got a Saito FA30S for 1/2 price due to stock clearing.

E-bay stuff.....I shy away from trades, but did pick up a Mamod Steam Car for $150. Absolutely mint condition. Why?..it wouldn't go forward, just reverse, so it was never used (more than once). About 1/2 hour of my time fixed that.

Not sure I would feel good about a trade that ended up too much to my advantage. I'd feel bad for the guy at the other end of the deal.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:52 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My best trade - I had a T-Maxx I picked up locally for next to nothing. Spent a little cash making it perfect. Posted on Craigslist for a quick sale. Guy responded asking if I wanted to trade for some Tamiya electrics and a Pede roller.

I decided to meet and have a look at his stuff. It was several boxes of vintage cars and trucks. Some NIB parts, bodies etc. There where several partially assembled kits and some petty used stuff. Since I just wanted the T-Maxx gone I took the trade. It took a few weeks to sort through all the misc parts and pieces and put things back together but there where several rare cars and trucks in that mix that got assembled or restored. Other became runners. Over all I think I ended up with 10 or so complete cars. I don't want to go into details (incase he's on here) but one of the NIB bodies was a complete sand scorcher body kit with decals glass etc. That brought a pretty penny on Ebay.

Another good deal was a Kyosho Raider ARR. Guy said he bought it in the 90's and it never ran right so he put it on the shelf. It was NEW. Picked it up for $25 complete with a controller. I adjusted the MSC and she was good as new.

Worst trade. I agreed to build a Pede basher for a guy. Wanted it for his kid. Used one of my pedes. Did a 32P conversion, RPM arms, Carriers etc. Had a new VXl Pede body, new VXL wheels and tires. It was a complete runner. minus the battery. He said he had a pair of Tamiya Super Hornets. One was NIB and the other was a Very nice runner. When I received the cars both where assembled. The bodies and decals had both been run and cracked. The only thing that was new was a set of wheels and tires and a spare chassis. Tried to get in touch with him but he never replyed. Oh well...
Old 12-22-2009, 11:15 AM
mazdaprotege4

ORIGINAL: Argess

We all like deals, but mine have been mostly limited to LHS sales. Got a Saito FA30S for 1/2 price due to stock clearing.

E-bay stuff.....I shy away from trades, but did pick up a Mamod Steam Car for $150. Absolutely mint condition. Why?..it wouldn't go forward, just reverse, so it was never used (more than once). About 1/2 hour of my time fixed that.

Not sure I would feel good about a trade that ended up too much to my advantage. I'd feel bad for the guy at the other end of the deal.
Iused to think that but now Ilook at it differently. Most times people who are on the other side are just looking to get rid of their stuff (maybe it needs a little work, but is still worth a ton). so they are usually fine with getting something that they can run right away. Or they just don't care enough to look into the value of their stuff, which in that case is their loss. Or in the case of my parts lot that Igot, the guy knew it was worth way more then he was asking, but he didn't have the time to split it up and put it on eBay so he sold it cheap.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:38 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Looks like the M3's run what, high 12's through the 1/4? My old supervisor had an 80's mustang with a 5.0 that ran 11's that he drove to the job site all the time. Heck, my cousins 2500hd chevy/duramax runs 13.3's with hardly anything done to it.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:02 PM
rast4man

Those are mild modded M3's. Mine alone before the SC on a Garret Turbo w/ 9Lbs. of boost was pumping near 605hp. It's a little more modest now with the SC on it. My cousin has his at 705HP on 12 Lbs. of boost. Our engines make for great boosted ones. I'll get a ideo the weekend after Xmas as we go to the track and mess around.

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Looks like the M3's run what, high 12's through the 1/4? My old supervisor had an 80's mustang with a 5.0 that ran 11's that he drove to the job site all the time. Heck, my cousins 2500hd chevy/duramax runs 13.3's with hardly anything done to it.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:50 PM
mazdaprotege4

Rast, that sounds pretty cool, you have any pics of the M3 that you can post?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:35 PM
schlags62

My worst trade was my first and last, and I am still working on it. I was to trade 2 T-maxx 2.5 for a tricked out REVO. We exchanged tracking numbers and all that good stuff and guess what.... my REVO never showed up. I am still working on the FBI internet fraud part and have recently requested police reports and have plans of contacting the county attorney in two different countys in Wisconsin. Apparently the guy I talked to and sent the stuff to lived at a different address that I sent it to.
I could go on for days but in the end I lost 2 T-Maxx's to 3 dead beat losers in SHAWANO, WISCONSIN!!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:44 PM
stcla1r

is that twin titan you got the same that's on on ebay?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:47 PM
rast4man

Tons. I will put them up tonight after an Xmas party.

ORIGINAL: mazdaprotege4

Rast, that sounds pretty cool, you have any pics of the M3 that you can post?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:47 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Those are mild modded M3's. Mine alone before the SC on a Garret Turbo w/ 9Lbs. of boost was pumping near 605hp. It's a little more modest now with the SC on it. My cousin has his at 705HP on 12 Lbs. of boost. Our engines make for great boosted ones. I'll get a ideo the weekend after Xmas as we go to the track and mess around.
God forbid you run into ThunderbirdJunkie's old customer with an '04 Cobra if you come to Ohio if that's all you're packin.

Sad thing is, the only things upgraded (power-wise) on that car are a pulley and exhaust from the headers back...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.