Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What got you into Hobby Grade RC's

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What got you into Hobby Grade RC's

As the topic says what got you hooked on hobby grade RC's.

I'll start After I ditched out of my nephews communion party to goto a fish store I've always heard great things about (and Yes I skipped out of a party to goto a fish store). When I got to the place I saw a pile of people gathered round in the parking lot next door and saw a pile of RC's racing. Just something about seeing the cars ripping around and hearing the engines made me want one. 2 weeks later I bought a used MT1

I've owned plenty of cheap RC's before that like TyCo's and a few years before the hobby grades I had a pile of TOMY *****arges with a pile of parts for office racing (me and a few others on the shift raced them before the boss came in).
Old 01-17-2010, 08:09 PM
DaveG55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What got you into Hobby Grade RC's

My father(who was building RC planes before i was born) bought my brother and I a line control nitro plane for our birthdays (8 & 10 respectively). A few years later, after destroying most of the plane, I built an airboat using the engine from the plane. A few years later I started into surface electric and nitro. Put it all away for a few more years, then got back into surface RC (boats, cars, MT's) then into planes and helis.
I got my 1st plane, a Cox PT trainer, for my 10th birthday in 1965 so I guess I've been hooked on RCs for a while now.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Devils-Reject
My Feedback: (8)

All growing up i always loved all types of r/c's as a kid i had a whole closet full and i was always taking them apart re-gearing them making super large battery packs and everything. once i got older and was able to afford nitro i never went back to elec. [although i am planning on getting a few now]
i started out with going crazy i bought a used hpi on-road a used truggy and a bunch of planes.

then i sold them all off and always wished i hadn't
i just recently bought another brand new one and im already getting a list of others i will be getting.
i am also building a 1/5 scale

i just love the nitro cars. the though of controlling a small gas powered car that goes crazy fast is such a rush

Old 01-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Devils-Reject

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

My father(who was building RC planes before i was born) bought my brother and I a line control nitro plane for our birthdays (8 & 10 respectively). A few years later, after destroying most of the plane, I built an airboat using the engine from the plane. A few years later I started into surface electric and nitro. Put it all away for a few more years, then got back into surface RC (boats, cars, MT's) then into planes and helis.
I got my 1st plane, a Cox PT trainer, for my 10th birthday in 1965 so I guess I've been hooked on RCs for a while now.
you reminded me, my father also used to build huge scale r/c planes when i was young.....
he now builds ultra-lights and flys them....
maybe i'll be a race car driver soon...... hahaha i could only wish

Old 01-17-2010, 08:16 PM
magnus213

When I was really young my brother let me tag along when he was hanging out with his friend (they're a couple years older than me). We went to the friend's house, and HIS older brother had built a small off-road track in his backyard and was running a nitro-powered buggy. I only watched him for maybe ten minutes and never saw him run it ever again, but I kept it in the back of my mind for years (seriously, probably 5-6 years) until I made enough money to buy one for myself.

Kind of weird how things work out like that...
Old 01-17-2010, 08:24 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i was ten i bought a Mauri Big Bear off of a friends friend for $100 RTR,And it was a great truck in its day.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

my cousin raced 1/10 electric off road back in the early/mid 90’s. that introduced me to it. used to want a tamiya blitzer beetle. then the slot car track i raced at moved next to so cal raceway in garden grove, ca. i would hang out at so cal in-between rounds. quite racing slot cars and got into VW’s. was thumbing through an issue of RC Car Action back in april 1997 saw an ad for the kyosho stadium baja. bought one a week later.
been here raising hell ever sense
Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

I was about 10 or so and my parents bought me this 57 Chevy that actually had "realistic motor sounds". Me being me, I ran it into a puddle and fried it. After complaining that I wanted a "real car" they bought me a Grasshopper and then a Kyosho Rocky 4WD. After building those two, the passion began.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Devils-Reject

yea i had an elec grasshopper & 57 chevy too now i see they have the exact same thing all beefed up looks just the old 1980 style grasshopper i almost bought it just because i had the same thing when i was a kid
Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

back in like 84 my brother inlaw and i stopped by the hobby shop and ended up buying a couple cars .. he got a grasshopper and i bought a marui hunter LOL... after about a month i bought my first rc10 .. a gold tub bearing car with the varilok tranny .... carpet off road ... those where the days!! .... slow motors and batterys and radios that almost all glitched really bad .... brushless and 2.4ghz are a blessing!!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:35 PM
black mamba

Back in the mid 80s when I was just a little kid, my uncle had a Tamiya Hot Shot. He needed parts one day, so I went with him to the hobby shop (Pat's Hobbies in Oak Lawn) and I ended up leaving with a Tamiya Frog. I "raced" that out at some outdoor track in Plainfield that was right off of I-55. I really got seriously involved in RC when I was in jr high. I started racing my RC10 with my cousin who had a Losi JRX2 at our local track-Remotely Daytonas. Over the years I have always had some kind of RC car/truck and just recently got back into going to the track (Leisure Hours) with my Flux and Blitz. I bring my 5 year old daughter with and she has a blast with running the Blitz and being track marshal. It's fun and relieves a lot of stress.....and is good for building character in kids.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 PM
butt_housed247

i got out of rehab 2 days before my 18th birthday and moved in with my bro and his fiance.  i spent 2 days sitting around the house lost and bored.  on my b-day my bro comes walking in the house and tells me i need a hobby to help keep me busy and out of trouble.  then handed me his old B3 and says "happy first sober birthday mother<edit>.  now go get a job so you can afford parts for that thing."
about 3 weeks later i picked up a summer job in a super market stocking shelves.
sense its an older buggy i had to research and track down a few parts.  i got really into the hunt. 
it keeps me busy and helps me keep my mind clear and focused on something positive and productive.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:06 PM
bronx boy

my dad owned a slot car store in 1966 he had three big tracks 60 feet long 8 lanes i was hooked on speed back then i was ten i bought a nikko dictator back in 84 then a blackfoot used them a few years stoped till my godson was born 9 years ago then i went completly insain up to 36 cars now all kinds nitro electric i need help i cant stop
Old 01-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Access

Robotics basically, I needed a platform for a robot so I talked to the guys at the hobby shop and they suggested a first-generation E-maxx (this was probably ~5 years ago). That's basically what got me into the current batch of RCs I have today.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:46 PM
quietnas1

When I graduated high school I had gone to a friends of mines house to hang out a play some Nintendo 64 (remember that) and I saw this car sitting on the floor. I asked him what it was he said it was a Grasshopper. He told me what LHS he bought it at and I went the next day. While I was there I saw the box for the RC10GT and when I found out it ran on gas I was like yeah that's what I want. The Guy at the LHS helped me pick out a radio and engine and I placed it all on layaway. Well when I finally built it and ran it I was hooked. That was back in the summer of 1994 and been playing ever since.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:02 AM
nitroade

Bought the full colour Tamiya catalogue in 1984, that was it for me.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:02 AM
rcslsafut

both my uncles flew control lines when i was a kid .(early seventys)
i got into hobby grade cars in the ninty's when i bought my kid a toy grade r/c and got sick of waiting 15 hours to charge it.(10 min run time)
once again my uncle told me about the stampede,THATS ALL SHE WROTE,i have been hooked ever since. started with two stampede's one for him
one for me ,been haveing a blast ever since !!!!! prob have ten of my own, he has about five,recently got my youngest daughter one for christmas!!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 AM
dudecat

About 6yrs ago i got my tamiya mighty bull. That was the hook line and sinker. Then i bought some pedes and then had to sell them to make some bills i had. Now i got my first running nitro and what a learning experience it has been.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:12 AM
Devils-Reject

ORIGINAL: nitroade

Bought the full colour Tamiya catalogue in 1984, that was it for me.
Hahahaha so funny. yea i remember the tower hobbys cats. when i was younger

Old 01-18-2010, 10:20 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

When I graduated high school I had gone to a friends of mines house to hang out a play some Nintendo 64 (remember that) and I saw this car sitting on the floor.
I got a working Atari 2600 still :P
and every system Nintendo's made (even virtual boy) in working condition, so yea I remember it
Old 01-18-2010, 12:08 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Around 3rd or 4th grade a kid brought in a Tamiya Fast Attack for show and tell. He ran it around the class room and up and down the hall a few times. I was hooked. The following weekend I asked my mother to take me to the local hobby shop where we put a Grasshopper on Layaway. I spent the rest of the summer cutting lawns, washing cars etc to get the money to pay it off. My mother paid half of the cost and I paid the other. I ran that ar to death for 2 years before getting my next car...

I've been in the hobby without a break ever since.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Devils-Reject

now from reading all these posts these were lots of factors that got me into r/c. its like a little bit of what everyone else says. weird.
also when i was younger a kid in school [a little rich kid who got everything]
got a black foot kit and that thing for the time was huge and high tech
i wanted one so bad...
and eventually i got them
Old 01-18-2010, 01:54 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

This thread makes me feel old. In a good way though.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:22 PM
trx1
My Feedback: (2)

seeing a r/c car in a parking lot. i was 22 then. never heard of them before that!
Old 01-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Devils-Reject

ORIGINAL: trx1

seeing a r/c car in a parking lot. i was 22 then. never heard of them before that!
WHAT!!!!????
were you raised in a cave???

sike nah, just kidding but really?
mani have been infatuated since i was at least 4-5
i remember one christmas my mother got me and my father matching stock cars on different channels so we could race each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.