Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Brushed motor quickly stops?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushed motor quickly stops?

I am a newb to brushed motors... I'm much more familiar with brushless. Anyways, a while ago I bought a couple of buggies on craigslist both with fast brushed racing motors. The problem is, one of the motors is crazy fast rpm but it slows down extremely quickly when I let off the throttle, while the other buggy continues to roll. What does this really mean? I put triflo lubricant on both of the ends of the can (both bearings) and that helped some but not a lot, even with the motor out of the buggy the motor revs up then quickly comes to a stop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:31 AM
10x8

Default RE: Brushed motor quickly stops?

Hi,
Can you test the braking motor buggy on the other esc that does not brake & report back. Maybe simple esc fix.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:48 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

Thanks for the suggestion.

I hooked the other buggies motor to this esc and it kept spinning for a while after I let off the power[]

The powerful motor that I'm having trouble with is a team orion core stock. I found a [link=http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/motor-maintenance/g-motor-maintenance1.asp]guide[/link] that shows how to tear down, inspect, and clean the motor. I took it apart, all the parts appeared to have very little wear, I cleaned everything, re-lubed the ends, and it's still the same[] I wonder if all team orion core stock motors come like this from the factory (and some other brushed motors)? It's a fast fast motor, might come at a price of lots of resistance from the magnets being super strong or something? I hope that doesn't sound too stupid[sm=red_smile.gif] Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 07:09 PM
10x8

Hi,
Nah that's cool. I run f/e tunnels with brushless and have the option of brake on or off. I set it to brake on. In the old days when we used brushed cans, we were able to programme the esc also to brake on/off. I thought maybe that could be the problem.
Is there a team orion forum you could possibly ask?

Peter
Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 AM
Spetz

This happens to one of my motors too. I think it's simply just the way it is with the magnets resistance, as even turning it by hand is hard and I can feel the magnets stopping it from turning
Though, the motor that this happens to for me is only a 23 turn
Old 03-10-2010, 04:50 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

The motor I have is a 27 turn, and just as you described, it's hard to turn by hand and I can feel the magnets slowing it down a lot. Was yours like this even when it was new? My motor was used when I got it so I couldn't tell you. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 AM
Spetz

Yeah it was like that from day 1. It's a Tamiya Type S motor.
I also found it annoying, especially when trying to make the car crawl it sometimes starts jerking at really low speeds
Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 AM
BigTb17

While I think the magnets probably have more to do with it (as others mentioned) it's also possible it has tighter brush springs. Tighter brush springs can increase torque, while losing a bit of efficiency and RPMs. If this is the case it could also contribute to what you are experiencing.

Brushless motors can behave the same way. Some brushless motors spin virtually completely smooth. With others you can feel the magnets creating resistance and they are harder to turn. Some motors (my new Castle/Neu motor is an example) will noticebly reduce the roll time of the car due to the magnets causing drag when not on the throttle.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:23 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its just what high quality brushed motors do... They have really good magnets. Try running a P2K2 pro, very smooth until you let off the throttle... then clunkclunkclunkclunk as the cars momentum spins the motor. I have a can zapper and zapped an old worn out epic motor, did the same thing after I magnetized the hell out of it.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

Very good info from everyone, thanks!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Spetz

What's a can zapper??
Old 03-11-2010, 07:45 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

I was wondering that too...