Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Track build

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:21 PM
MTboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track build

Have the area, a rototiller, shovels, rakes, food, beer and water to wet it down along with friends to help. Now just need some info from some of you guys that run on tracks.
May not be normal questions but since I've really never done this other then a little area in my front yard this is all new. I'm planning on 8ft lanes with 6-8in between the lanes of packed dirt.
Questions:
1. After a 90 degree turn, how many feet should I have before a double, triple, table or woops.
2. How tall do you build the jumps?
3. Should I make the peaks of the jumps kinda roll over?
4. I've seen some step up jumps. How far do you think it should be from the take off to the top of the higher landing?

I have at my brothers an area about 200ft by 400ft and am thinking to use 40x40 or 40x60. Do you think the 40x40 would be big enough of an area? This will be for 1/10th and mostly for practice and fun with friends at summer BBQ's.
Have any tips or info let me know. I've only seen tracks on youtube so it's all guessing at this point..lol
Thanks guys and I will be taking pics as we go..
Old 03-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Etterus

Default RE: Track build

I made a little track in my backyard. Just make it how you like it? and for jumps i just kinda piled dirt Im gonna make the track a little bigger soon and i will get pics
Old 03-12-2010, 04:41 PM
MTboy

We have it all drawn out how we want it just thought it would be nice to get some info from the racers or people that run on tracks. Just would make it easy to know alittle before I build a triple then find that it's to far or close so I end uup having to rip it down and move.
I have my little track in my yard but only have two jumps that are just about a foot tall. It's more for testing and fooling around on..
Old 03-12-2010, 05:07 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its all about the transitions and banked turns. I have run on a few tracks that were basically flat, and it really rakes the fun out of it... when you bank turns you can keep the speed up and make your gaps a lot larger. It really depends on how fast your cars are gonna be, and what type they are. I have never really run those shortcourse trucks except for a few times, and they really cant handle large gaps. Stadium trucks on the other hand can launch across a 10 foot double like its nothing. Depending on what dirt you will be using, you just need enough space to straighten out after a turn before a jump. I personally like wide, flowing, fast tracks as apposed to the really technical ones.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:04 PM
MTboy

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Its all about the transitions and banked turns. I have run on a few tracks that were basically flat, and it really rakes the fun out of it... when you bank turns you can keep the speed up and make your gaps a lot larger. It really depends on how fast your cars are gonna be, and what type they are. I have never really run those shortcourse trucks except for a few times, and they really cant handle large gaps. Stadium trucks on the other hand can launch across a 10 foot double like its nothing. Depending on what dirt you will be using, you just need enough space to straighten out after a turn before a jump. I personally like wide, flowing, fast tracks as apposed to the really technical ones.
Hey thanks for that, I didn't even think about banks and transitions. Will keep it in mind as we start setting it up.. Think tomorrow will mostly be marking it out and tilling it up. I will have to make it for all types of trucks. Pretty much has to be open to anything a person has as far as trucks. I'm trying to work in sections were if you have a fast enough truck you can quad it but then double double if need be.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:10 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here's a few pics of our track.
it's 135ft long and 60ft wide.
we run slash's,1/8 nitro buggy's and 1/10 electric 4x4 buggy's on this track.
for the slash and 1/10 buggys you want atleast 10-12ft wide lanes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19638.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	1396676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68181.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	1396677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48245.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	1396678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu57690.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	1396679  
Old 03-13-2010, 08:32 AM
MTboy

Thanks for the pics and size.. I think thats alittle to big for us tho..lol
Not going to get as much done today as planned. My buddy got called in to work today and he was bringing the tiller..[:@] I can still get it staked out and marked with paint tho.
Will get picks to show the area as we go. Maybe after the pics you guys will have some good ideas for me .
Old 03-15-2010, 06:03 PM
MTboy

Got some work done but ended up getting the trucks out to run on it after we got paint down just to test and enjoyed enough to make some small changes. I know it's hard to tell but we added to one corner and moved some dirt around for a base design. We hope to get a tiller and smooth out the dirt around but tell we do we will keep adding jumps and burms along with clearing the lanes.
Still have a long way to go but hope to get there someday.

Name:	Zx70832.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1399035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56327.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	1399036  
Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 PM
MTboy

My bad...
Old 03-18-2010, 04:20 PM
MTboy

It was nice out so I dropped the kid off at school and went to work on the track. It's alot of work by myself and with only shovels and rakes but it's getting there. I turned the big pile into a tabletop, started some banks and the first whoop..lol
Have a long way to go but I think it will be nice enough to have some run when it's done..
These two show both sides of the table and the corner..
Third one shows the corner after the table and then the 180 degree back turn..

Name:	Vt56620.jpg
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	1400690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66694.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	1400691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43602.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1400692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47277.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1400693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87717.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1400694  
Old 03-18-2010, 04:32 PM
MTboy

Ok I'm not sure what happened there.. I edited and deleted the huge pics then uploaded the new resized ones but it kept them all..lol
Sorry everyone, but if you can figure out what is going on in the pics let me know what you think..lol
Thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 12:56 AM
supamagician

IMO I think you should have atleast one long, flat straight away in the track. Those are always fun to see the speed and lower the lap times some
Old 03-19-2010, 07:05 AM
MTboy

I do agree about having a speed section and am not sure yet how we will finish the back side coming into the table. Right now it's a huge long turn that you get lots of speed coming to the jump but I've been thinking that we are going to over shoot the table top if I keep it that way. So either need to change the table to a single gap jump spaced out more or more the turn to make it so you have to slow down or roll..lol
I will be out there again today and all weekend working on it. Will also bring my trucks to test sections and see if we need to make changes.
Also need to keep in mind that kids will be running stock trucks so not alot of speed is there. Kids like to jump more then anything..lol
Old 03-19-2010, 07:18 AM
lez1troubles

You could test the jumps by just jumping them and seeing where the truck (buggy) comes down and then making a landing zone, thats how I did it a my track. As for the table top maybe not being long enough, just make the take off area a bit steeper to send youe truck (buggy) high istead of far. Get more air time.
Looking good so far and at the pace that you are going you should (could) be finished before the summer begins. Have fun.[8D]
Old 03-19-2010, 11:04 PM
supamagician

ORIGINAL: MTboy

I do agree about having a speed section and am not sure yet how we will finish the back side coming into the table. Right now it's a huge long turn that you get lots of speed coming to the jump but I've been thinking that we are going to over shoot the table top if I keep it that way. So either need to change the table to a single gap jump spaced out more or more the turn to make it so you have to slow down or roll..lol
I will be out there again today and all weekend working on it. Will also bring my trucks to test sections and see if we need to make changes.
Also need to keep in mind that kids will be running stock trucks so not alot of speed is there. Kids like to jump more then anything..lol
If you wanna slow it down a bit, right in the middle of the turn put in two "speed bump" kinda deals (just small bumps of dirt that extend the length of the lane)

Look at this vid I made. You will see what I'm talking about right around 0:48 sec.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/124082..._at_the_track/
Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 AM
MTboy

Thanks guys for the tips. Got some more work done last night along with testing.. We added a few small bumps threw out the track just to make things more interesting..lol
Still need to work our landings up but now know where to put them after running on the track. It's not a fast track but it's alot of fun so far.. Going to do more today and will get some more pics of it and us running on it but this time will resize them before I post..
Old 04-04-2010, 08:17 AM
MTboy

Was able to get some more stuff done yesterday. Weather turned crappy so only ran one pack but our rythem section is coming together nicely.. This week I hope to be able to make it over and do some more work but will have to see how the weather is..

Name:	Bz77569.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1411561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89376.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1411562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32474.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	1411563  
Old 04-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Kalani938

Man you've got some really pretty hill country out there! I live in East Texas so it's pretty flat here. I will be getting my first "real" RC vehiclein this Tuesday. I'm getting the new Traxxas Slash 4x4 and I can't wait! I've had RC's in the past, but nothing like what I'm about to get in. I soon would like to build a track as well. I have 9 acres of pastureland around my house so we have ample room. I just need to invite my friend over that turned his entire backyard into an RC track. I'm sure if I offer him a case of Miller Lite he will come a runnin!LOL. Keep us updated on how your track comes along and good luck!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 AM
MTboy

ORIGINAL: Kalani938

Man you've got some really pretty hill country out there! I live in East Texas so it's pretty flat here. I will be getting my first ''real'' RC vehicle in this Tuesday. I'm getting the new Traxxas Slash 4x4 and I can't wait! I've had RC's in the past, but nothing like what I'm about to get in. I soon would like to build a track as well. I have 9 acres of pastureland around my house so we have ample room. I just need to invite my friend over that turned his entire backyard into an RC track. I'm sure if I offer him a case of Miller Lite he will come a runnin! LOL. Keep us updated on how your track comes along and good luck!
Thanks man, it is nice up here with all the mountains but really rocky..lol
Making a track is alot of work unless you have heavy equipment. For us we are doing it by hand and theres only my brother and I. It makes for some good times when you pick up a case of beer, burgers for the bbq and run the trucks when taking breaks..lol Also since it's my first track we are learning as we go so have had to move more dirt then planned. But even the wives are having fun and we all know a happy wife is a good wife..lol

Enjoy your slash 4x4. It's my favorite truck so far in this hobby. Good luck with your track aswell
Old 04-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Kalani938

Got my Slash in today and WOW!! It is an awesome truck! Just did some bashing around the house since Idon't have a track yet and Iwas amazed at the performace of these trucks right out of the box. I raced motocross on a YZ450F for about 5 years in the intermediate class so I have been around tracks a lot of my life. However, it's obviously going to be different building a track for an RC truck. I've seen some pretty cool videos on Youtube of backyard rc tracks and it looks like a blast if you can get some people to come join you. I don't have any heavy equipment, but I know somebody that does so maybe he will let me use it or come help me build the track. What kind of RC did you get your wife? My wife likes driving my old one, but it's not very good so I would like to get her a decent one that doesn't break the bank too much. LOL
Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 AM
MTboy

My wife just uses one of mine. We use to run mini's and she had a mini T but since going 1/10th we sold them and she has just been running either my slash or rustler. She's more into just running them then working on them..lol So they end up being my trucks but she runs one when she wants..lol Altho she really likes the Blitz but intell we can get back to work we will just be running what we have.. Yesterday she got laidoff from her job of 6 years and I've been out of work for a year. It's going to get tough now so not sure how or if my hobby will survive..[]