Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help my Nephew have some fun!???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 AM
CGCINC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my Nephew have some fun!???

My nephew is 8yrs. old and has a few electric RC trucks he got as gifts....They're just junk toys.
I'm wanting to take him to the hobby store this weekend and get him into something a little faster and a little more detail to it.

What would be a good Starter Electric buggy or truck to get? Not super fast but something that will get up and go a bit....
Old 09-10-2010, 10:00 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help my Nephew have some fun!???

tamiya grasshopper or tamiya hornet.

these two cars (pretty much the same, the hornet has a bigger motor and oil shocks in the rear) are perfect for kids.
they come as kits so kids get to learn how to build and maintain something. if you or his father help with the build it becomes a great bonding expierence.

you'll need to buy a radio set, charger and batteries along with the car kit.

if you aren't interested in helping him learn then theres always the instant gratification company, traxxas. everything comes in one box and the car is put together.
any of the bandit/ruslter/stampedes would work fine for a kid, but then he's loosing out on the fun of the build and it becomes just another toy.

hope this helps
Old 09-10-2010, 10:24 AM
MR4X4KING

i would spend the money on a stampede titan 12t or the vxl 2.4ghz
you can use the smaller batteries and put it in training mode so it will not go real fast and after he gets better and better you can boost him up to regular mode
plus a adult can have fun to by switching it back
Old 09-10-2010, 10:51 AM
LewAshby
Banned

Any Tamiya kit would be good for him because it helps develope mechanical ability.

If anything breaks, he would be able to take it a part and fix it himself instead of waiting for someone to take him to the hobby shop and wait for it to be fixed.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:18 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to say it but a Cheap Evader would work nice.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:06 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I definitly agree, a Tamiya was my first hobby RC as well and it was perfect, just not the most durable things available for kiddie bashing
Old 09-10-2010, 09:36 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the Traxxas XL-5's IMO
Bandit (buggy)
Stampede (monster Truck, my nephew has one)
Rustler (stadium truck)
Those are all Rear wheel drive.

IF you have a ESC, and radio laying around there is the Extreme Machine Monster XX sold at Target for $100. It is a clone of the Tamiya DF-02 buggy, but was modified slightly to make it a monster truck(bigger front shock tower, and better shocks). The included radio, and ESC are complete crap in it(I mean the radio will not stay centered at all), the included battery(2500mAh NiMh) isn't too bad though. If you need spare parts you can download the Tamiya DF-02 manual and just order tamiya replacements (or hop-ups). Now if you don't have a ESC and radio just laying around not worth the bother, you can get a real DF-02 kit - radio for around $120. I find its actually a pretty strong platform, and can take some abuse.