RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   An Expensive mistake. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/10423974-expensive-mistake.html)

Xtfreak 03-26-2011 09:19 AM

An Expensive mistake.

1 Attachment(s)
So I purchased my first clone the other day, the KM Baja with the 30.5cc.
Out of the box this thing is amazing. But I made the mistake of not going over everything, especially the air filter..
Lesson learnt.

Just thought I'd share my misfortune.[:'(]

proanti1 03-26-2011 09:29 AM

RE: An Expensive mistake.

That engine looks pretty damn old...

Xtfreak 03-26-2011 09:30 AM

I just got it less than a week ago..

rc awesome 03-26-2011 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Xtfreak

I just got it less than a week ago..
Did the air filter fall out or something? That motor is dirty on the inside

ThunderbirdJunkie 03-26-2011 10:12 AM

He didn't oil the air filter. He's posting this as a lesson to everybody that runs nitro and gas to make SURE their air filter is oiled on their new ride before they crank it up.

Sucks dude, happens to the best of us.

DarkFire989 03-26-2011 12:26 PM

Yeah dude you gota be real careful with those things. Gota check everything over. Go hit up DDM for a new motor, get a zenoah 4 bolt. Around 200-275 bucks depending on the displacement. A lot better than the stock motor.

378 03-26-2011 06:20 PM

This is why I'm anal about my air filters. I won't even crank the engine if there's no suitable filter attached, let alone start it.

Xtfreak 03-26-2011 07:23 PM

He didn't oil the air filter. He's posting this as a lesson to everybody that runs nitro and gas to make SURE their air filter is oiled on their new ride before they crank it up.

Sucks dude, happens to the best of us.

I thought it would have come pre-oiled like all of the
Traxxas's i've owned...guess nott.
Nicely spotted at what i was trying to achieve by the way.

I'm thinking about getting another 30.5cc...Does Zenoah make that displacement
? I only want to spend about $300ish.

moe7404 03-27-2011 02:10 PM

yep 378 is right about air filters. one time i for got the air cleaner running on pavment, it ran fine for a long time. but when i stoped the idle was high. checked the carb and there was a pebble stuck on the slide. if that pebble had gone into the engine i would have had trouble.

The_Shark 03-27-2011 04:46 PM

its trash give it to me:D

running it in dirt/sand heavy areas?

lez1troubles 03-28-2011 05:34 AM

Ooops,[:@]

DarkFire989 03-28-2011 05:39 AM

The biggest motor Zenoah makes is a 4 bolt 29cc ($275). GET IT. It will be more powerful than that 30.5 cc because over all its a much nicer engine. Make sure you order a couple extra gaskets for the carb for when you change air filters. Drop some extra coin on a new exhaust as well, around 150$ and you will see a huge gain in performance.

Xtfreak 04-03-2011 02:56 PM

Whats this whole "4bolt" and "2bolt" deal?...is it the number of bolts the engine has? [&:]

ThunderbirdJunkie 04-03-2011 02:56 PM

Number of bolts that hold the head on, isn't it?

378 04-03-2011 03:10 PM

The entire cylinder assembly, actually. The cylinder head is cast integral to the cylinder itself on most gasoline two strokes.

DarkFire989 04-03-2011 03:14 PM

Yup. Number of bolts on the head. 4 bolts are much more reliable and stronger.

ThunderbirdJunkie 04-03-2011 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: 378

The entire cylinder assembly, actually. The cylinder head is cast integral to the cylinder itself on most gasoline two strokes.
Never messed with little gas 2 strokes. All the gas 2 strokes ThunderbirdJunkie is familiar with have a separate crankcase and cylinder "jug".

378 04-03-2011 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: 378

Never messed with little gas 2 strokes. All the gas 2 strokes ThunderbirdJunkie is familiar with have a separate crankcase and cylinder ''jug''.
That jug is exactly what I was referring to.

ThunderbirdJunkie 04-03-2011 03:28 PM

You mean the head and the jug are one piece?

It may just be the old junk ThunderbirdJunkie works on (70s and older two stroke bikes), but the head is normally separate from the jug and the jug is normally separate from the crankcase?

proanti1 04-03-2011 03:48 PM

Yes, the head and cylinder are cast as one piece (usually), and generally referred to as a top end. As with a nitro engine, most of the cooling happens above the plug, but gassers dont have a tall head, the cooling find are cast around the sides of the cylinder. Some aftermarket cylinder kits actually have a head with a head button that is detachable from the cylinder, and some have a "wrap around head", which pretty much just extra fins you bolt on top of the cylinder. At the base of the cylinder are the holes which allow you to bolt it to the block, some have two directly across from each other (2), and some have one on each corner (4). The plus side to 4 bolt heads, is that they seal a lot better, and your gaskets are less prone to blowing out.

I really dont understand why all of them aren't 4 bolt, it shouldn't be an upgrade, it should be standard.