RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Fuel Filters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/5772232-fuel-filters.html)

Ozboy 04-26-2007 05:02 AM

Fuel Filters

What are peoples opinions on using fuel filters in nitro cars?

Thiele 04-26-2007 05:49 AM

RE: Fuel Filters

Tell me why not to....except when racing??

Foxy 04-26-2007 06:08 AM

Firstly fuel filters are included in almost all fuel tanks anyway, providing a first stage of filtration. Since they are not always as good as they could be, a lot of people (especially when racing) put another inline filter on the fuel line from the tank to the carb, just for a bit of extra protection. Some even run TWO inline filters, or an extra large one, to act as a reservoir at the start of the race. Think about it like this...pit guy fills up car, you do warm up lap, filling fuel lines AND any filters with fuel, stop on the grid, pit guy fills car again, you've got almost an extra 10% of fuel in the system. ;) Furthermore, some people run another inline filter between the pressure nipple (on the exhaust pipe) and the tank, this is simply to filter out any gunk from the pipe that may go directly into the tank, fouling up the tanks internal filter which cannot be changed (in most cases). The basic premise is, you can never have too many filters or too little crap in your carb. ;)

GYNAIKAS 04-26-2007 06:10 AM

When racing it is nececary to useone. Not only it filters fuel but its chamber prevents bubbles from geting to the carb and cause engine stall.

Nitro Fumes 04-26-2007 07:52 AM

I use the built in filter in the tank and my fuel can has one from when I pump out the fuel to fill the tank. People here tell me I should put one on the line too, but I've been racing for years and haven't had a fuel contamination problem ever.

Ozboy 04-26-2007 08:09 AM

Thanks for the replies fellas, I think I will stick one on just for safety. Since I have not put fuel in the new car yet, I will keep it clean from scratch.

ross_jsy 04-26-2007 02:52 PM

tbh $5 dollars or something like that for a lot of extra protection is great. and as stated, you flip the car, it gives you those extra few seconds.....why dont manufacturors put clunk lines in like the 8ight!

Shark413 04-27-2007 03:54 PM

Extra large fuel filter here. Again for extra filtering and a little more fuel capacity. $10 filter compared to a $100 engine rebuild is a worthy investment to me. ross_jsy, I agree, clunk filters should be in all Nitro cars, the companies that don't probably trying to save a buck.

Dokioto 04-27-2007 08:09 PM

I don't race but use one... Need to protect that expensive engine..