Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Fuel Filters

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:02 AM
Ozboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filters

What are peoples opinions on using fuel filters in nitro cars?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:49 AM
Thiele

Default RE: Fuel Filters

Tell me why not to....except when racing??
Old 04-26-2007, 06:08 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Firstly fuel filters are included in almost all fuel tanks anyway, providing a first stage of filtration. Since they are not always as good as they could be, a lot of people (especially when racing) put another inline filter on the fuel line from the tank to the carb, just for a bit of extra protection. Some even run TWO inline filters, or an extra large one, to act as a reservoir at the start of the race. Think about it like this...pit guy fills up car, you do warm up lap, filling fuel lines AND any filters with fuel, stop on the grid, pit guy fills car again, you've got almost an extra 10% of fuel in the system. Furthermore, some people run another inline filter between the pressure nipple (on the exhaust pipe) and the tank, this is simply to filter out any gunk from the pipe that may go directly into the tank, fouling up the tanks internal filter which cannot be changed (in most cases). The basic premise is, you can never have too many filters or too little crap in your carb.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:10 AM
GYNAIKAS

When racing it is nececary to useone. Not only it filters fuel but its chamber prevents bubbles from geting to the carb and cause engine stall.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Nitro Fumes

I use the built in filter in the tank and my fuel can has one from when I pump out the fuel to fill the tank. People here tell me I should put one on the line too, but I've been racing for years and haven't had a fuel contamination problem ever.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Ozboy

Thanks for the replies fellas, I think I will stick one on just for safety. Since I have not put fuel in the new car yet, I will keep it clean from scratch.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:52 PM
ross_jsy

tbh $5 dollars or something like that for a lot of extra protection is great. and as stated, you flip the car, it gives you those extra few seconds.....why dont manufacturors put clunk lines in like the 8ight!
Old 04-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Shark413

Extra large fuel filter here. Again for extra filtering and a little more fuel capacity. $10 filter compared to a $100 engine rebuild is a worthy investment to me. ross_jsy, I agree, clunk filters should be in all Nitro cars, the companies that don't probably trying to save a buck.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Dokioto

I don't race but use one... Need to protect that expensive engine..