Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

best radio for bashing and entry level racing

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

best radio for bashing and entry level racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:42 PM
mxaexm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best radio for bashing and entry level racing

Looking to get into this hobby...

What would be the best radio for someone who is getting into this hobby (parking lot and hopefully on road racing)? I would like to get 2.4 GHz; so now on top of my list are Futaba 2PL or 3PL...any other radios that I should consider? (looking to spend around $100).
Old 10-04-2010, 04:25 PM
andybenton

Default RE: best radio for bashing and entry level racing

the perfect radio for you is the newest spectrum radio.

its 100 bucks, comes with one servo, a reciver, and the radio

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM3160

theres a link to the site.

and its right in your price range..... ive got one, i love it. super simple, and it works perfectly
Old 07-07-2011, 02:28 AM
wantboost

how about this one...
yes old thread i know
Old 10-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Fractured

Remember alot of RTR kits come with a radio, If you run one truck/car thats all you need.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:46 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im a fan of the traxxas 2.4ghz link controllers, thay have all the adjustments and one of the only radios that can control 5 channels under $100. im going to use mine to controll lights, spot lights & turn off/on a gyro for a slash. and its helpfull for anyone witha revo 3.3 with reverse & wants switchable lights.

the best part about the link controllers is all the settinga are stored in the reciver. no more selecting what model u are running.
In thery u can have 20 controllers & 20 cars all binded. just grab any controller and any car & away u go.

I like it too because there is no "wank factor" and looks like a basic radio to the untrained eye
oh and replacment antenna's are cheap

Just switch on and drive! With Traxxas spread-spectrum technology, there's no need to check what frequency other drivers are on, or worry about interference from other transmitters. The 2.4GHz circuitry automatically locates and locks onto an open frequency each time you switch it on. The exclusive Traxxas Linkâ„¢ automatic model recognition software is a breakthrough in "model memory" that makes it easier than ever to enjoy multiple Traxxas Link enabled models without juggling transmitters or scrolling through complex menus searching for model names. Each time the transmitter is bound to a new receiver, it saves that receiver in its memory, along with all the model settings assigned to that receiver. The next time that transmitter and any previously bound receiver (up to 20!) are switched on, the transmitter automatically recalls the settings for that receiver. Just power up the transmitter and the model you want to drive, and the settings for that model are dialed in immediately! The TQ 2.4GHz also features failsafe circuitry and fully adjustable tuning options including exponential, dual rates, endpoints, sub-trim and more. The 4-channel transmitter includes a two-position third channel switch and 3-position fourth channel switch for full compatibility with Traxxas models equipped with reversing transmissions and T-Lockâ„¢ differentials. The additional channels are also perfect for operating scale functions, rear-steer options, and other custom controls.
•2.4GHz Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) clarity and control
•Automatically locates and locks onto an open frequency when you switch it on
•Exclusive Traxxas Link™ automatic model recognition (patent pending)
•Cross-bind up to 20 Traxxas Link enabled transmitters and receivers for worry-free model management.
•High output signal for maximum range
•Simple two-button programming interface: ◦Steering and throttle sensitivity (Expo)
â—¦Steering and braking dual rate
â—¦Steering and throttle end points
â—¦Steering and throttle sub-trim

•
•Programmable multi-function knob
•Integrated fail-safe security
•Fast 13ms frame rate and 4-17ms latency provides instant response and precise control
•5-channel receiver with 2 steering inputs for dual servo systems
•Two-color status LED
•Requires only 4 AA batteries
•Comfortable ergonomic design
•Two-position third channel switch and 3-position fourth channel switch for full compatibility with Traxxas models equipped with reversing transmissions and T-Lock™ differentials
•Additional channels are also perfect for operating scale functions, rear-steer options, and other custom controls in any R/C model
•5-channel micro receiver with two steering servo inputs for dual-servo use
•No need to carry crystals or select channels
•Comfortable TQ case design
•Worry-free long range control
•50/50 or 70/30 trigger neutral adjustment
•Lifetime Electronics Warranty and total Traxxas support.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:38 AM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

im a fan of the traxxas 2.4ghz link controllers, thay have all the adjustments and one of the only radios that can control 5 channels under $100. im going to use mine to controll lights, spot lights & turn off/on a gyro for a slash. and its helpfull for anyone witha revo 3.3 with reverse & wants switchable lights.

the best part about the link controllers is all the settinga are stored in the reciver. no more selecting what model u are running.
In thery u can have 20 controllers & 20 cars all binded. just grab any controller and any car & away u go.

I like it too because there is no "wank factor" and looks like a basic radio to the untrained eye
oh and replacment antenna's are cheap
Nice being a trx fanboy and all, but the reality is that those radios are basically junk and are incredibly impossible to use any of the advertised adjustments and features.Then again, that's why they throw them in with their entry-level vehicles.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:00 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an easy question...Every race setting you would want (although the exponential is apparently bugged, but there is a documented mod to fix that), and receivers are 7 bucks for your bashers. I've seen loads of these under the Ansmann brand, and they are outstading. Not just outstanding for the money, but very good radios too. A little battery hungry maybe.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html
Old 10-10-2011, 06:29 AM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: Foxy

This is an easy question...Every race setting you would want (although the exponential is apparently bugged, but there is a documented mod to fix that), and receivers are 7 bucks for your bashers. I've seen loads of these under the Ansmann brand, and they are outstading. Not just outstanding for the money, but very good radios too. A little battery hungry maybe.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html
No offense, but something seems wrong with the concept of having to fix something that shouldn't need fixing, that the manufacturer has been aware of for well over a year that they refuse to fix.
I've seen a lot of discussions all over the 'Net in which people are having a lot of rx failures; which at some point how many can one reasonably throw away before you're throwing good after bad.

I guess it's a good rookie/entry level consideration, but since all entry level RTRs come with a radio it makes little sense upgrading to a comperable to a RTR unit.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Foxy

I'd have to throw away 20 of those RXs to reach the cost of one Spektrum receivers I currrently use, of which some have also failed. I think it's a great radio for the money, and the cost of rxes is just icing. I will be retiring my 3pk with one of these, in confidence, I've used a few now, since we have an Ansmann dealer nearby a lot of people have them (and they paid $120 for them and are happy). Exponential isn't a setting I used, even in the height of my racing career, but to some it is important (particularly crawling and drfiting), to be honest, I would never do the hack job to fix it.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:11 AM
kaycerc

Spektrum receivers are typically going for $50 now, so I think your math is a bit off - and "exponential" is a setting most good racers use.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: kaycerc

Spektrum receivers are typically going for $50 now, so I think your math is a bit off - and ''exponential'' is a setting most good racers use. [img][/img]

Spektrum recievers the size of the GT3 ones are $100, my math is fine. I did say 'the receivers I use', not 'the cheapest compatible spektrum rx'. Did you really think I would write and speak the way I do, and not be capable of basic arithmetic? So, therefore, knowing that I am capable of dividing a number by 20, would it not have been more sensible to think about what I might have meant before making the ridiculous suggestion that there is a flaw in my basic arithmetic?

As for exponential, I know a few national champions who don't use it, neither for on-road competition nor off road, but we aren't talking about national champions, check the subject of the OP again. I raced on road nitro for many many years and never felt a need for it. How many people are racing without exponential at all and still enjoying it? Do you think a good driver needs exponential to win a race at club level? Your assertions are largely invalid for the topic at hand. If the OP had say a DX3R and wanted to know what radio was an upgrade, I wouldn't have said the flysky. Horses for courses. We aren't talking about a radio to go to the worlds with. If you really believe that spending $35 on a radio and $5 per reciever is not better value for the basher/amateur racer than a $300 unit with receivers $50-100 receivers and a few extra settings, then I accept that's your point of view and we can agree to disagree.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:27 PM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: Foxy
As for exponential, I know a few national champions who don't use it, neither for on-road competition nor off road, but we aren't talking about national champions, check the subject of the OP again.
To satisfy this argument on another forum, last year when I attended two different national events (onroad and offroad), not a single driver in the A- or B-Main did not use their exponential. Whether you choose not to is your own choice. For the average basher, I suppose it doesn't matter either way - but if they're racing, and spending what racers typically do on the rest of their car/truck and electronics it seems rather silly IMHO to have the one thing tying you to your vehicle being the cheapest model available. And it makes no sense have the GTB3, and pay for the extra whistles and bells, when the GT2 would suffice just as well for half the price.