Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Which ESC for old school electric truck?

Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Which ESC for old school electric truck?

Old 09-25-2005, 07:25 PM
REVOJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which ESC for old school electric truck?

Hi,
My neighbor has a 10-15 year old RC truck. The mechinical speed control runs 2 motors with one battery, but has gone bad and is spuratic at best. He doesn't remember if both motors run all the time or if one kicks in at some point on the speed controller, or if it has a 2 speed gear in it. We want to convert the truck to solid state ESC to run the two motors with one battery. Whick if any modern ESC's will work in this setup?
Thanks, Joe

Old 09-26-2005, 01:13 AM
rockdragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which ESC for old school electric truck?

...... sound like it's the Tamiya Clod Buster. The truck has a switch on the side of the chassis for selecting Speed or Power action. It's actually selecting the Series or parellel connection of the 2 motors. When they are in series, more torque but less speed. And when they're in parellel, less torque but higher speed.

If the original motors are used, silver can standard 540 motors 27T, any ESC that can handle down to 13T will be OK to be used.

I'm not sure about the wiring of the 2 motors to the mechinical speed control but I have here few pages of the manual that shows the installation of the mechinical speed control into the truck. This will give you some idea to replace the new ESC.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94482.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	329268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66380.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	329269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq36153.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	197.9 KB