Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Venom Speed Meter...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 10:37 AM
PoweredByNitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venom Speed Meter...

I wanted to know how accurate these are. and has anyone installed one on an onroad RC??? I seen a few pics of setups on the venom site and was also wondering about the magnet position. I noticed some people put the magnet on the spur gear or the center shaft.. wouldn't you get a more accurate reading if you used the shaft thats connected to the wheel?
Old 06-19-2006, 09:09 PM
mkincy

Default RE: Venom Speed Meter...

if there is no user error during the set-up proccess then i'd say they are pretty accurate.
you set it up by placing the car on the ground next to an extended tape measure, with the magnet at 0 degrees then push the car untill the magnet makes exactlly 10 revolutions, then you input the distance it traveled, it then uses that information to calculate MPH. so i dont think it would make any difference which shaft you install it on. other than wheel spin possibly giving an inacurate reading if you where to install it on a cvd.
I DONT ACTUALLY OWN A VENOM BRAND, I OWN A SPECTRUM TYPE SO THE SET-UP MAY BE SLIGHTLY DIFERENT. but it still works the same.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:27 PM
PoweredByNitro

great thanks for the info. I have read quite a few threads about these and I guess the best thing to do to get an accurate reading is definately calibrating it correctly and running foam tires on my onroad car. I also have a parking lot by a police station so maybe i can get a pig to radar it and see how accurate the VSM really is.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:40 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have owned a VSM for my ST. They are very accurate up to the point before tire expansion. My GPS always showed a slightly higher top speed then the VSM.

I mounted mine on the dog bone about 2cm away from the tire. Just make certain you calibrate it correctly.

Ryan
Old 07-07-2006, 04:52 PM

Has anyone considered getting a [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&item=220002462550&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1]Radar Gun[/link]. They can be obtained at fairly reasonable prices now. Not to mention have a little fun setting off radar detectors in all the cars that speed through the neighborhood.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:01 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Garmin Geko GPS receiver and I find it way better than my buddies radar gun. Not only do the readings seem logical but I can do it alone. The radar guns readings are not that consistant.

Ryan