Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

FH? Spread Spectrum? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:13 AM
almtx3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FH? Spread Spectrum? HELP!

All right guys we need a radio guru here or atleast someone that can please enlighten me on what the difference is between spread spectrum and Frequency hopping? Also whats the deal with 2.4GHz and why is it so big now? Sorry if Ive been living under a rock but I remember when FM was all we had and you got to yell at someone when they turned on a radio near you with your same channel. Ahh those were the good 'ol days!!
Old 10-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: FH? Spread Spectrum? HELP!

FHSS 'is' Frequency hopping spread spectrum. They all run on 2.4ghz. What I'm not sure about is whether there is a difference between that and DSM, which is also a commonly used acronym for 2.4ghz radios. The reason they have become so popular is because they are crystal free and interference free. Not only from other radios, but because the frequency is so high (2.4ghz), they are outside the spectrum of regular interference caused by metal on metal in notro and gas engines and also are not phased by all metal constructed driver stands, which often used to cause problems for FM. They also have a very long range (over a km). They work by channel hopping when they detect interference from another radio on the same channel, they automatically do this in a couple of miliseconds, tso there are never any conflicts. It could channel hop 5 or 6 times a second and you'd never understand it or lose contact with your vehicle. Hence no more channel conflicts with other modellers. Furthermore, tracks are starting to come round slowly and not request hand in of radio sets, which is nice, lets you test and stuf in the pits, safe in the knowledge that turning on your radio will not end somebody's race ont eh track.

Spektrum (note the K that denotes it's the company name) by Spektrum, FASST by Futaba, and Nomadio are all 2.4ghz radios. Personally I think Futaba is the best, as the FASST system (with a special module) can also use HRS (High Response System?) with it's 2.4ghz equipment to make the fastest response int eh industry. Of course since it's futaba, it goes wiothout saying that it will last forever. Yes, I am a bit of a futaba fanboy, but that's understandable, every futaba radio and servo I EVER bought (except stockers, S3003) is still working. That's about 6 radios and about 10 servos, over about 10 years.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:24 PM
almtx3

You sir are the man! Thanks Foxy. How you been bud? I think Jato mentioned you got out of 1/10 - is it true?[sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 10-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, got out of everything else, got into 1/5th. But I kept the NT1 and Iw ill continue to race it. It's the only nitro car I own now (and two big 1/5th gassers ).
Old 10-19-2007, 10:00 PM
almtx3

Sweet, glad you didn't get rid of the NT1, that would have been a shame. Jato and I will be heading out to the track tomorrow and I will try to take some pics, Ill PM them to you when I get a chance. Good to hear from you bud!

-cheers

p.s. that 1/5 scale gasser looks sick man!! Dont have too much fun with that thing!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:25 PM
JRexA

Futaba HRS = 75hz command speed to the servos
Nomadio Digital Setting = 100 hz command speed to the servos. (AND you can mix Digi and Analog servos)

Yes I know, no one but special testing equipment can likely feel the difference

DSM is a registered trade mark of Spektrum.
I have once seen DSM and similar systems refered to as Direct Sequensing Spread Spectrum, meaning that it stays on the same channel.
Nomadio, Futaba and Airtronics use FHDSS(Frequenzy Hopping Digital Spread Spectrum)
I am very happy with my Nomadio Sensor for my Car, and my Futaba 6EX FASST for my Plane/Heli needs.

XPS, ASSAN and likely iMAX(SkyRC) might use other methods in their 2.4ghz systems.
Confused: just wait until next episode of "Yet another 2.4ghz"

btw. I expect compatability of 2.4ghz systems to be comparable to PCM on "old fashioned " systems, meaning, virtually non existent, outside the same manufacturer. [:@]
Old 10-22-2007, 07:23 PM
RBMike

ORIGINAL: almtx3

why is it so big now? ........you got to yell at someone when they turned on a radio near you with your same channel.
That's why it's so big, no more yelling at anyone on your channel. I have used the spektrum (in airtronics) since the week it came out and it is 100 times better than "the good 'ol days". Oh ya, anyone want to buy a box full of FM crystals (very used)? j/k
Old 10-23-2007, 10:27 AM
almtx3

I hear you RB mike! I just picked up an Airtronics MX-3 FHSS on Saturday and its pretty sweet. Not too expensive and I know its not top of line but no crystals is a great upgrade for me. It does feel good not having to worry about crystals and who's on what channel! Best part is you can start the car on your work table and not have to worry about messing someones day up!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Jatohulk

Fox sorry but Nomadio is better than Futaba. DO NOT MESS WITH MY REACT.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:57 PM
almtx3

Oh man - Im staying out of this one...[sm=47_47.gif]