Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

want a new radio setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Paulyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want a new radio setup

so i'm looking for a new radio setup. right now i have a revo, and a rc18t, with plans on buying a tt-01 for some bashing/drifting/racing fun. my question is, what is a realiable and fairly cheap setup for me to use. like is there an fm radio that has model memory, not needing to change crystals? how would this work?
right now, i just swap the crystals on my stock revo radio, and change the settings, but i get alot of interference. and another thing, i say fairly cheap because i love to drive my cars, but dont do it too often, so i dont want to go spend 800$ if i'm barely gunna use it.
give me some guidance on what to do.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Druss

Default RE: want a new radio setup

Find a nice used FM system with a synthesized radio or a nice used 2.4ghz system.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Paulyd

found a futaba 3pm 2.4ghz radio with receiver on here. think i'll go with that, and buy some extra receivers on the bay.

EDIT: quick question, would a spektrum receiver(sr3500) work with a futaba 3pm 2.4ghz tx?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:42 PM
dacaur

No the spektrum reciver will NOT work with a futaba radio. You can only use futaba 2.4ghz receivers with futaba radios. But you have hit upon one of the main reasons I use a DX3S now instead of the 3PM i used to have... Futaba recivers are $100 a pop, while you can get spektrum receivers off ebay for $35-$40.....
Old 07-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Paulyd

i would grab a dx3.0, but it only has 4 model memory. which for now is enough i guess.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Druss

I watch ebay for spektrum receivers and typically I see them go for around $50-$55, where do you see them for $35? Maybe it's because I don't have access to the guys that won't ship to Canada.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:18 PM
dacaur

yea you can't always get them that cheap, but if you watch, they are there... its more likley that the "regular people" will sell them cheap than the chop shops that ship worldwide. I know when I sell stuff, I don't ship to Canada... (I'm a regular people)
Old 07-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Paulyd

alright, my neighbour (very into rc stuff) just sold me his xr3i radio and 1 receiver for 70$. which i have nothing to complain about, just that i need another receiver for my rc18t.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Paulyd

i have another question about running my xr3i radio setup. do i have to use a plastic tube for the antenna, or can i just make the end of the wire stick out a out of the body, or under it? that reason i ask is because i want a cleaner look on my cars but its not necessary.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 PM
dacaur

With 75Mhz you do have to use the plastic tube to have the antenna stick up or you will have horrible range and glitches. If you want a clean look, you need to go to 2.4Ghz... On my vehicles with spektrum RX's the antenna tube is about 1- 1.5" long and stays completely under the body. If the reciver is the highest thing on the truck, as in a mini lst2, you don't even need an antenna tube, you can just let the short antenna roam free
Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Paulyd

yeah i noticed that on my neighbours losi 8t. its so ballin', looks so clean. he let me drive it, and damn, that thing was awesome. now he's willing to sell me an original hpi rs4 with an engine for like 50$.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 PM
FreakBoy

Hello all... i want a new radio to my T-maxx 3.3? What is the best Radio or it will be good for that truck? i have the original now.. can i drive longer with a better radio or whats the point to get a better? Not so good in radio stuff ^^
Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Paulyd

are you racing? cuz what i was told by lots of people is to get a 2.4ghz system. zero interference. i dont really race, but do plan on going to a track a few times, i just opted for a 75mhz radio, and got a good deal, but you can get synthesized stuff too.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:13 AM
khudzik

I'd go DX3R all the way:
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetai...SPM3100&cat=25
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 AM
hpidrifternewb

i was in the same position i just got a futaba 2pl fm and switch crystals on my 2 cars but now they came out with a futaba 2 pl 2.4gh which is the same price so im kicking myself in the but
Old 08-19-2009, 09:50 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: hpidrifternewb

i was in the same position i just got a futaba 2pl fm and switch crystals on my 2 cars but now they came out with a futaba 2 pl 2.4gh which is the same price so im kicking myself in the but
Don't be too upset, the receivers for the 2pl are not compatible with futabas other 2.4ghz radios, so you could have ended up with a fleet of receivers for the 2pl 2.4, with no upgrade path other than buying all new receivers....