Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

another typical noob question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 02:36 AM
Lurp06x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another typical noob question

ok i really dont know much about the functions of these radios an some of the prices are just way to much. i looking at getting an ofna buggy an plan on getting into racing. but all i have used as far as radios i a 2ch traxxas radio. an as far as i see what more do you need than the steering an throttle trim? i just dont understand most of the things they are talking about like dual rates an servo speed. is racing so competitive that you need to adjust your steering rate speed? cant you just get use to the radio an deal with that problem with learning to work with your radio?

i really dont want to spend $300 on a radio just because it tells me the speed of my car or lap times or that it has 30 models on it an it can tell me the temp an this an that.

im not the type to rely solely on one thing i like to use my head too.
i hope some of this makes sense
Old 11-03-2009, 08:20 AM
mini-dude

Default RE: another typical noob question

There have been a few magazine articles over recent years in which they asked pro racers about their radio settings, and in each and every one the "pro" said they'd left all whistles and bells and various settings alone and used it as it came set out of the box.
All you "really" need is steering and throttle "trims," like you said you'd used, and once you set those you really never have need to touch them - and "steering exponential" which allows you to limit the amount of throwof the steering, so you can dial in or dial out the steering relative to where you're racing and how tight or not the turns are.

Do you need all the extra settings some radios offer?
Idoubt it.
Can you get by using some of the cheapo radios that come with most RTRs?
Possibly. But the main problem IMHO with traxxas, losi, associated radios is their quality. They work fine, but just feel cheap.
There are some other quality radio (in AMand FM) out there still - and now that seemingly everyone's gone to using the $400 high-end 2.4ghz units they can be had quite cheaply.

The problem I see with so many so-called racers is that they buy radios thinking it will make the a better driver, or thinkingthat it makes them a racer, and yet they're still as bad as they used to be before spending big bucks on a radio. Don't get caught in the game where you have a fancier radio than you do car.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Zerodefect

When you say Ofna buggy, I assume you mean 1/8th scale.

In that case, some must have features:

Steering expo
servo reverse
EPA
subtrim
high voltage rx

If you've made up your mind and plan on sticking with racing, then save yourself some time and get the best radio you can. They last alot longer than cars do. It's cheaper in the long run to have one good radio that'll last and not become obsolete quickly, than it is to have a shelf of dusty radios.

Nothings cheap in 1/8th scale anyway.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Lurp06x

ok two different answers.

but still it helps. i know for one thing that i am not a awesome rc driver an need much practice an experince on the track to become at the very least a decent driver. its a long road ahead an i understand that much. but how about this it doesnt cost more than my rc an it has some bells an whistles.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXRL8&P=0
Old 11-03-2009, 01:33 PM
mini-dude

more than you'll ever need, but that's an excellent choice

I was thinking more along the lines of
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=JRP234276
but it depends on you and your budget

Old 11-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Lurp06x

an just to make sure for a ofna hyper 8.5 all you need is two channels?

then i think i iwll get this one since it has 2.4ghz

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...603GF-Receiver
Old 11-03-2009, 03:01 PM
mini-dude

yup, 2 channels only - as is most every rc vehicle, 1 channel for throttle/brake & 1 channel for steering
(only thing that "needs" another channel are monster trucks w/4-wheel steering)

there ya go.......saved yourself 200 bux
(spend the money on some "quality" servos, since gas cars are rough on them)
Old 11-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Lurp06x

alright, thanks

now i feel better about buying a radio
Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 PM
slamgilbert2110

And another "Noob" question. I just bought a Kyosho mp 7.5 roller. It only had one servo, the throttle one a Futuba. I just bought a Hihtec HS645MG for the steering. Well the throttle one has I guess its called a "Z" connector. Its rectangular in shape with edge on it. The Hitec is totally rectangular. Right now I have a 27mhz AM xmiter and rec. The rec has rectangular female holes. Can I cut off the ridge and plug it in and give her hell? Or can I buy a rec with the "Z" type holes and plug them both in it. Or do I need to buy another servo?