Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Servo amplifier question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Anomie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo amplifier question

Ok, so without going into too much detail about why I need to do this, I have a question...

My intention is to disassemble a servo and 'fool' the amplifier into thinking it is in one position when it is in another. What I mean is, the steering on my truck requires roughly 9 turns of a lead screw in order to move from lock to lock. The typical servo feedback pot only turns somewhere around 180-210 degrees. I would like to gear the pot off the lead screw so that it moves the same short distance while the motor goes much further. I know that the larger the error between where the servo is positioned and where it is directed produces a higher speed rotation and this may give me the steering travel time I am hoping. I simply wish to force the motor to turn further than the pot when directed. I hope this makes sense.

So, where's the question?

Right here: Has anyone done anything similar? Like, fooling the servo amp in order to get more travel from the motor?

I ordered a $9 no-name digital servo from eBay in hopes of testing this idea, and I will post the results if anyone would like the information.