Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Rehabbing 25+ year old Kyosho Ra

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 04:20 PM
andysz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rehabbing 25+ year old Kyosho Ra

My parents found my 25+ year old Kyosho Raider in the basement. I picked it up from them this weekend and my son and I are working on getting it to run. It is all standard stuff, all I remember ever upgrading is the tires. The radio controller is a 75MHz Futaba AM set in channel 64. My apologies if I am butchering the jargon. In my research, I believe this transmitter/receiver set are no longer legal to use.

On whim, before ordering new batteries we put the old 7.2V pack on the charger. We also charged up the transmitter. When I switched on the transmitter, the power indicator moved, so I think the battery pack held a charge. The 7.2V battery packs also held a charge. I hooked everything up and turned it all on. And...nothing happened. I then manually moved the speed controller (non-electronic) and the motor started. This means, I think, that I need a new transmitter/receiver. Is that right? If so, what is the recommended model for a beginner set and would I need to replace the servos or could I plug them into the new receiver?

Thanks!

Andy
Old 11-15-2014, 10:51 AM
crazyhorse_001

First a little more looking is in order. Check that the crystals in the transmitter, and receiver match, and are seated correctly. Your am radio set isnt illegal, its just obsolete. The crystals will have the frquency printed on the cans.

If the radio set really is hosed, then yes you should be able to plug everything into the new receiver. I have several vintage rc's, and i love running them. Best of luck!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:22 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would check also the servo's wires and connectors that plug into you receiver.

If you radio/reciever is "toast" a under $20 FlySky FS-GT2 would be a good 2.4 ghz radio to start with.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-16-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:47 AM
RustyUs

It's hard to tell what is not working in the "chain" of things. If you had a known servo that works and plugged it into your receiver, and get nothing, that maybe your receiver and/or crystal is the problem.

Since the Raider is a "barn find" and you don't remember if it was working when you stopped using it back in the day. Check the connectors on the ends of the servo wires and make sure they are in the receiver the correct way. Usually the white wire is towards the inside of the receiver.

Another shot in the dark, discharge the battery (NiCd or NiMh?) and recharge a few times to cycle the compounds inside. Don't let batteries get too warm. Maybe the battery has not enough "juice" to send through the B.E.C. (Battery Eliminator Circuitry) for the servos to work. I'm assuming your receiver has BEC that eliminates the need for a seperate battery pack and provides power to the receiver and servos through the main battery pack?

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-16-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:59 AM
RustyUs

What Futaba transmitter are you using/have? I know my old Futaba Magnum 2PL radio, when it got below a certain voltage, it would not control my truck anymore.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:58 AM
andysz

Thanks for all the advice. I checked everything out as everyone suggested and still no dice. I ordered a new radio and will get to work cleaning and and installing the new receiver when it arrives later this week.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:27 AM
RustyUs

Thanks for getting the Raider out and dusting it off. I am not to sure about finding any parts for the Raider. Ebay has quite a few Raider parts now that I plugged in a search. I did happen to see a guy doing a restoration of one. I used to race with a guy that did the "dirt oval" thing with his Kyosho Raider back in the day. When you get it up and running...maybe click a few pics and post them!
Old 11-19-2014, 04:57 PM
djyjrlz

Just picked one of these up from eBay for $30, great fun to run about. doesn't like grass that much though.

Still rocking the bridgestones.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	77612EE0-DC7A-4D08-BDE1-37DF9C00CE57_zpsrbzeahs9.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	2048605  
Old 11-19-2014, 11:47 PM
RustyUs

Great close up pics...one with the body off please.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:14 AM
djyjrlz

It came as all original, but i wasn't that keen on the mechanical speed control, kept it all so it'll go back if needs be.

Threw in a spare novak gtx speed control and a small lipo to get it running.

Just rebuilt the gearbox because i was worried about worn gears and dirty bushings. but i was surprised to see this buggy has very little runtime on the bushings and gears.

Snapped the plastic drive shafts after i switched to lipo, so i found some HSP steel items in the same length and size. perfect!

One thing i'd like to change is the awful steering angle, it's pitiful. seems to be the servo horn that's the issue so it'll get swapped.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:37 AM
RustyUs

Thanks for sharing! I like looking at RC cars from "back in the day." That Raider brings back fond memories at the track.