Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Return of Lunchbox..

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:24 AM
humpmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back! too funny! my nickname used to be skeletor! ha ha I only weigh about 130 and my co workers, (landscaping) used to call me that, or pop corn fart! nice looking truck, I am also in the hunt for lipos, but from my reads, sounds like they dont make them small enough, everybody trying to fit them in thier old cars etc... gotta be someone out there making a direct replacment,
will keep looking.
take care and be safe!
cccccccyyyyyyyaaaaaaa! humpmaster out!
Old 03-13-2016, 05:39 AM
Frederik_b

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guys, I just managed to break one of the rear wheel adapter, if any of you guys know of a place that sells them and do not charge an arm and leg for the shipping (Canada) I'd be all ears

I am not really into switching them to hex because I love the stock wheels and tires, though I have seen hex adapters like this (below) and I was wondering if I could use these and just put a hex on the axle pin, and then I could use regular hex wheels but also the stock wheels. Would that work? If I'm buying replacement adapters might as well go with the more flexible ones.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:49 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=TRX1854

you can search ebay for tamiya rear wheel adapters or traxxas hub adapters, traxxas item # 1854
a bunch come up, someone has to be canada shipping friendly
not sure which tamiya parts bag has those hubs
Old 03-13-2016, 09:21 AM
Frederik_b

Wow less than 3$!! Thanks! These are probably for the sledgehammer which uses the same wheel mount apparently.

I have found which tree it comes with in the lunchbox kit, it is parts tree B which is the axle housing which costs pretty much the same as the wheel adapters themselves. But maybe one of the other tamiya kits using that same wheel adapter has it on a different tree?

anyways the traxxas link you posted sounds like the best option, I will now look at the estimate shipping, hopefully it is not 15$! Lol
Old 03-13-2016, 09:27 AM
kistner

After doing a quick look, that part , B5, uses the pin connector not a hex connector. Not sure the traxxas part will do the trick without a hex to pin connector as well. Not that the hex/pin thing is unusual or hard to find . . .
Old 03-13-2016, 09:31 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jB-AJuH_lw
Old 03-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Frederik_b

Originally Posted by kistner
After doing a quick look, that part , B5, uses the pin connector not a hex connector. Not sure the traxxas part will do the trick without a hex to pin connector as well. Not that the hex/pin thing is unusual or hard to find . . .
Yes I had noticed that and that would be fine, I would just put an hex on before that adapter. The estimated shipping cost is 11$ lol but that still is the least expensive option yet!
Old 04-02-2017, 10:10 AM
kistner

Picked up some new wheels, the old ones were chewed up pretty good. 2.2 instead of regular Lunchbox wheels. Grabbed a set off ebay that i had been looking at for years - http://ebay.to/2oqika3 . The kid wanted to keep the old tires so we did. The fronts needed some washers to shim up the space between the bearing and where the nut stops, but the rears did not. Used the same bearings that were on the old rims.

The kid took it out and it runs great. Did bust a tab off a front arm, but we have spares Stayed tuned for a new body soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lunch new wheels.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	2208168  
Old 04-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good!! Glad that people are still running their LBs!! Keeping the old school RC alive!!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:48 PM
kistner

So, our last run was cut short by some sort of issue. It was a crunchy feeling coming from the transmission/gearbox. Started to take it apart to inspect what I feared might be shredded parts. But, when I unscrewed the wheelie bar one of the tabs that holds the trans together fell off. I finished taking it apart and all the gears look good with exception one of the planetary gears was not where it belongs. All in good shape though. I guess the torque on the trans with the missing tab threw a gear out? Anyway I have a transmission case in the parts bin so Vanessa will be back on the road soon. And I never did put bearings in there so now that its apart that can be done. If I can just find where I put those bearings, probably bought them back in '09, lol.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:04 AM
Lunchboxer

No bearings in the gearbox...
Old 04-13-2017, 07:14 PM
kistner

Found a small bag labeled 'lunch box' in the bearing bin, nice when that happens. Popped those in and put the trans back together. But, I have to go get some loc-tite for the screws I undid to take it all apart. Not the ones in plastic, I have a few pieces of aluminum on the chassis from where it had cracked years ago and there are small nuts and bolts holding it all together.
Ended up replacing the bottom battery compartment piece as well. The arm that holds the battery in busted off. I had a spare for that too
Old 04-14-2017, 12:11 AM
Lunchboxer

Glad that you fixed it all up!
Old 04-24-2017, 05:31 PM
kistner

Never done experimenting on the lunch box. The end of the motor kept coming unscrewed. I took it off and put some red loctite on (after blue not helping). But in the meantime I have an outrunner I have been wanting to try in something . . . [ATTACH]2211643[/IMG]

Still does wheelies. Noticeably slower than the 4000kv motor that was in there. But I did switch to the 18t pinion for the 1600kv outrunner. The 4000kv (inrunner) was using the standard 10t pinion.
Kid hasnt tried it yet (fell asleep after track meet). We will see what he thinks. He did comment that it was maybe a little too fast before, we were breaking stuff pretty regularly

Name:	out.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	2211643  
Old 05-22-2017, 06:11 AM
Rodney67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken steering knuckle on my Lunchbox

Hello, this is my first post & as I just got my first 'real' R/C car it seems appropriate. I got an original 1987 Lunchbox & was having great fun until I broke what I think is the steering knuckle. Apparently the servo saver did its job but how do I repair this? I see that inside of the ball in the knuckle has threads for a bolt & that it is this little bolt that comes through the servo saver but how do you get the old, broken piece out? I saw some kits on eBay but just wanted to make sure this is the correct part.

Name:	Lunchbox broke 1.png
Views:	93
Size:	519.8 KB
ID:	2216325