Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Is combat dead?

Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Is combat dead?

Old 12-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Cross Check

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is combat dead?

Combat Dead?
No Way !

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
(Quote from John Belushi from Animal House.)

All you need is two planes and two streamers !
Then keep the planes even performing,(and cheap) and others will join in...

CP, I respect your opinions, but, Pursuit (80mph)Maac WW2 Scale Combat is not "High Speed Jousting". It is a learned Art.
Proof:
Final Round, 10th Onslaught over Ontario Dec.11th 2011: 8 planes up. (click on video 2011 bottom left)
http://www.cobblehillsfightergroup.ca/

(Any video of Combat is crap. I love the 3-D sound of the 8 engines, plus the 2X.15 Me 110 [8D] !)
Maac WW2 is an easy sell.
We will be 'selling' our WW1s at Funflys and Scale Meets to make a big Event, starting 2014 !

WW1 is freaky cool !

Coro constuction is amazing and I am just following the trend here. (I am actually 10yrs behind finishing off my balsa/ply/foam planes !

I just realized, I am Lucky.

To have someone to Combat.

My Goal is to fly WW1 Combat, and get spectators to watch.

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team

)
Old 12-17-2011, 06:31 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cross Check

Combat Dead?
No Way !

''Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?''
(Quote from John Belushi from Animal House.)

All you need is two planes and two streamers !
Then keep the planes even performing,(and cheap) and others will join in...

CP, I respect your opinions, but, Pursuit (80mph)Maac WW2 Scale Combat is not ''High Speed Jousting''. It is a learned Art.
Proof:
Final Round, 10th Onslaught over Ontario Dec.11th 2011: 8 planes up. (click on video 2011 bottom left)
http://www.cobblehillsfightergroup.ca/

(Any video of Combat is crap. I love the 3-D sound of the 8 engines, plus the 2X.15 Me 110 [8D] !)
Maac WW2 is an easy sell.
We will be 'selling' our WW1s at Funflys and Scale Meets to make a big Event, starting 2014 !

WW1 is freaky cool !

Coro constuction is amazing and I am just following the trend here. (I am actually 10yrs behind finishing off my balsa/ply/foam planes !

I just realized, I am Lucky.

To have someone to Combat.

My Goal is to fly WW1 Combat, and get spectators to watch.

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team

)
Call it what you will, but the proof is in the aftermath.
When you are spending more time flying combat than you are building and repairing, then I suppose you have found a class of combat that makes some sort of sense to you and to others.
It is those "others" who we need to keep the sport alive, since it is pretty boring if all you can find to fly combat against is a pile of tethered helium balloons.
Be honest with yourself and tabulate all the hours that go into getting a fleet of your planes ready for battle versus the actual combat time you and your buddies get out of flying that 80 mph stuff and then tell me for certain that a lighter and slower type of combat wouldn't get you a better return on your investment of time and money.
In 1 weekend I typically get 6 to 8 hours worth of actual combat air time with planes that do not have the kinetic energy to break crank cases, obliterate servos, bury engines so deep you need a shovel to dig them out, etc.
I've flown Big, Heavy and Fast and I've also flown Small, Light and Slow...both with control line and RC.
The subject of this thread is pretty simple and hard to deny. All I've done is demonstrate a format that is easy to do, costs very little in terms of time and money and also happens to be the most successfull, action packed days I've spent with the least amount of damage.
You can talk about your "Learned Art" as if it is some sort of Holy Grail...but you aren't kidding anyone but yourself.
Until you've flown what I'm talking about, you won't have a clue.
Have fun doing what you do...I've done similar, back in the 704 days and moved on from that...knowing that there had to be something with a better return on the time and money invested.
That event never came close to 1:1 work to fun time ratio...probably more like 10:1 if you were lucky with some planes.
I'm talking actual "combat time"...not time "jaw jacking" in the pits, unpacking your car, or refueling.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:17 AM
Cross Check

Hi CP,

If you want 1hr 'work'=1hr flying time for a goal... Try a Stryker electric pusher RTF.
Get a portable generator and call a Match. Pilots will show up. It will be fun. There will be some "Jaw Jacking' in the pits while recharging/repairing.
(Make sure to count the time you have to work to afford buying in)
But... Easy Come,Easy Go.

Personally, I like building model airplanes. My spare time creating a cool flying machine is a joy for me.
RC Combat is a chance to fly the bags off them ! I do not care about winning. If I toast a plane, there is more room to build another.
I also have many friends I have met over the years. And learned allot ![8D]

The RCCA Safety Rules are Great. A big Thank You to whoever came up with them. They work flawlessly here and make it 'easy' to put a Match on...

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 12-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Cross Check

Hi CP,
I (we) hear you on the "Light is Might/Low Kinetic Energy".

Has anyone come up with a practical/cheap electric version of a Cox .049?

It would be easy to create a class from there.

And very easy to sell !

Our 'impractible' WW1s suffer on windy days. (It is fun though!)

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team

Old 12-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CC,
The guys did a great job creating the rules.
I'll have to get my SSC's and Open B's together and fly with my buds again.
Clean never comes this far north so i'll have to head south for some action!
Scott
Pappy
RCCA #108
Old 12-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Cross Check

Hi Scott,

R/C Combat is the most fun you can have with a model airplane.

It does not matter what type of plane. (Scale,Open, SSC, etc...)

It is getting out flying with good friends and meeting new ones.

The Who/What/When is easy !

The Why is the Fun Part to figure out !

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 12-18-2011, 10:39 AM
iron eagel

This year at our club we will be sponsoring 10 CL combat events. I am not sure what class this is but they do not have to wear helmets, and use 35 ft lines, maybe you guys can tell me what class that is...
I know at least one of them is a eastern regional event with guys up and down the east coast attending.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:35 AM
combatpigg

I think a rectangular winged foamie with a pusher motor could get guys involved with limited time and money......and who don't like to build.?
Old 12-18-2011, 12:14 PM
iron eagel

Sounds like a good low stress type of setup!

I found out what type of combat events we host, just got an email regarding the dates. There are actually two types of events, F2d combat and GX combat...

CP as an aside just started building a SD, LS version...
Old 12-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Cross Check

OK,

I'm a CL Combat flyer from way back when...
(Anyone remember McCoy .35 Redheads and hand flipping them?)

I would ask at the electric forum here on RCU for an electric version of a Cox.049.

But,
I'm a dedicated 'slimer', and proud of it.
And prefer running engines, rather than motors...

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 12-18-2011, 03:19 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a public note to Mr. Crosscheck.  There are still a few guys doing the control line combat thing in Dresden Ont. and Centennial Park in Etobicoke. That is close to you.  The 80 mph combat is mostly F2D planes($50) with an LA .25 (the new McCoy.35) and is fairly popular.  Check the Balsa Beavers site for dates. (I hope I can say that here)   Some local guys do Stryker combat/pylon racing, as well as the electric jets.  The props don't do damage but usually they break and that is the end of things for a while. A 400 electric is about the same as an .049.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:38 PM
combatpigg

Strykers are just high speed jousting until one of them gets totalled with an ill timed "herk, jerk, zig or, zag".

Highly tapered wings don't pick off streamers too well.

What I do like about the idea of electric combat is the speed can be perfectly governed and the motors could be run at a fraction of their max output. No oil to interfere with quick repairs
is an obvious plus.
Slow, tight and light furball activity invites moving the action in closer. I've always wanted enforcable limits to a real tight flight box to keep the action turning and burning.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:54 PM
ctrout

Old 12-19-2011, 04:30 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Again with the shooting the light beams crap?

Oh, I forgot, it's an original idea only found one place.  Which of course has at least 6 versions posted in this forum itself.

Good luck to you, I hope you find a magic bullet that makes it feasible.  It's wonderful enough trying to figure out how far out and how far behind a persons airplane it is required to get your plane on his streamer.  I can only guess how easy it will be to line up a light beam.   People will be ramming each other just to end the match.

I haven't heard much from the guy who was going to build a giant flying runway to launch and land electrics off of lately either.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:51 AM
draftman1

ORIGINAL: Clean

br/>I haven't heard much from the guy who was going to build a giant flying runway to launch and land electrics off of lately either.

he disapeared Clean, I havnt seen him in quite a while
Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 AM
combatpigg

The only way the light beam idea works for me is if there is POV flying and a way to determine distance between target and shooter for maximum effective range. There also needs to be a very limited amount of "ammo" to shoot.
Somebody will come up with an entertaining and fairly realistic way of doing this with actual models instead of just a video game....it's just a matter of time. How to package it into an economicaly feasible package is the key. I'd also like to see an invisible fence set up to keep the action confined to whatever sized combat box I desire. Stray outside the box and lose points by the second.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Fly2XS

With all the negative publicity on FPV flight I think this is dead unless you can do it in your living room and keep the weight to less than a Vapor. If you can do that, great , otherwise there is another thread for Fantasy Island. . .
Old 12-19-2011, 07:09 AM
combatpigg

I'd be comfortable doing it with models of limited size and speed. It would possible to see indoor electric planes rigged up like this someday.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:11 AM
ctrout

Old 12-19-2011, 07:12 AM
ctrout

If you use small planes its nothing to look at.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 AM
ctrout

Old 12-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Clean

Sorry it comes out harsh, but I can't count the number of times someone has 'come up' with the old shooting each other out of the sky concept. CP is right, you really need point of view AND you need to be able to look around at the same time. That technology is getting closer and closer every day but is still a chunk of money to put down for airplanes that can very well smash into each other loosing everything even when they're light like those in CP's description. The first time I heard of it was someone that had just run into the Koola Fran and Olie show where they shot a diamond smuggling trainer out of the sky with Dart shooting Spitfires. That was back in the day when if you DIDN'T get 6 radio hits a day it was a miracle (the KFand O show not when the idea was brought up here). There were those little electric systems with the sonic shooters on them about 5 years ago, those worked pretty good I heard for low powered, wide beam, more coincidence then intent play though I won't sell short others vastly better capabilities then mine. I have always rated my abilities as the average sport pilot with a bunch of practice and with a lot of combat experience it is just obvious how little feel for depth perception one has at any distance that the average combat range is.

So when you come into this thread "is combat dead" pimping your new "old" idea I reply with the same, less then hopeful response. Did you even do a search for this idea on this forum itself? If you did and your idea is something totally different and feasable unlike the others, why not start your own thread and explain how your system would be different? Instead, you direct us to a different link, using spaces to keep from making a link to another site from this site, a site that for all we know is just a bug vault waiting to load trojans onto our machines.

In short, your message was spam. You creatively laid a link in there and you are all too offended that we, or at least I, have seen this idea so many times that it's like listening to a 5 year old explain Santa's magical sleigh to me as if THAT was a real option as well.

You got a system that works, post a thread with a link and maybe even some demonstration photos/vids in it and if it's a better mousetrap, well then we'll all probably come. Try to slide it in on us and my 'You're about to be screwed' monitor goes off.

But yes, I was a little gruff with you on this idea for the above reasons. I'm also very brand sensitive in the SPAD forum when someone comes up, says SPADs suck I built one, yada yada and when you get right down to it somebody has gone out, picked up some coroplast, manipulated it so that it looked something like an airframe and then points the blame at everyone elses work when it's NOT a SPAD, NOT really and Airframe and the total NOOB doesn't even know the first thing about flying, lift vs weight, thrust vs drag, how to make a living because they're still living like they're 13 in their parents house even though the final age could vary well be in their 30's.

Gotta remind myself to be a kinder, gentler Clean.

So, if you are none of the above and I've totally misjudged you, you have my apologies. Elsewise, the egress is on your left through the souvenir shop. I hope you've enjoyed your time in Combatland. We hope all your future Combat missions end with acres of streamers around your wingtips. Good day.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Fly2XS

ORIGINAL: Clean

Gotta remind myself to be a kinder, gentler Clean.
Gotta love it!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:05 AM
ctrout

Old 12-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Clean

Well if you can't dazzle em with diamonds.....

Like Isaid, start a thread if your something is just so special that us combat guys will want to do it ORadd it onto one of the other dead links that discuss your ideas, requires a search function to be used. Just quit hijacking someone elses thread for your puposes. It's not like you desinged a Flipper or sumptin.

I've no doubt that when technology finally gets to the place where I can put a unit on an airplane that costs so little that Iwouldn't mind throwing it away, folks will try the air to air combat. Till then you'll find my conversation on Twitter at #Stillapipedream

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.