Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 11:01 PM
SBOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

I got two flights in late this afternoon with the 10x3; that's more the speed I'm comfortable with. I do use the throttle, but I must admit that unless I'm in trouble or landing I tend to forget about the trottle, however, the little Mustang just doesn't feel as solid at anything less than 3/4 throttle. Thank you all for the advice.

Oscar
Old 08-09-2006, 12:55 PM
miklos
My Feedback: (38)

Well, I actually got to fly my mustang in the heat of battle this weekend. My club had a combat competiton loosely based around the battle of the Pacific. We had two rectangles spray painted on opposite ends of the field to stand in as aircraft carriers. One for the Japanese Akagi and one for the American Yorktown. There were balloons suspended on string above the carriers, blue ones over the Yorktown and red ones over the Akagi. Lined up on either side of the carriers were volunteers with paintball machineguns to simulate antiaircraft fire to shoot at any aircraft brave enough to venture after the balloons. The combat planes were divided into two teams, and red streamers were attached to the planes on the Japanese side and blue streamers were attached to the planes on the American side. Points were scored in the following categories. Cuting an opponents streamer, poping a balloon over the opponents carrier, and at the end of each combat session, points could be had by accurately landing on your carrier. It was a hoot and great fun was had by both participants and spectators.
Most of the aircraft were "SPADS" built from "cryoplast" I think it's called. It's that plastic sheeting that looks like cardboard[:'(]. My mustang and a P-39 were the only planes that were of built up balsa. In the first heat, I sustained a mid air collision [:@] and was able to glide the aircraft down into the nearby brush when the engine cut out. Upon recovering the aircraft, the only damage was a hole punched [X(] in the turtle decking between the cockpit canopy and the firewall. I quickly patched the hole with tape and got right back into the fight. [>:]The plane flew excellent and showed no signs of ill effect from the damage it had sustained. I was very impressed with the maneuverability of the mustang versus the spads, as I had no trouble "turning and burning" on them at will. The mustang was clearly the fastest and most maneuverable plane in the sky that day even though most of the other planes had 40+ size engines versus my 25 size engine. It was easily the coolest looking plane in the sky that day and I received many kudos from my fellow flyers for having the guts to enter it into the competition. They were all very impressed with how much of a beating the plane could take and still hang in there.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: miklos

Well, I actually got to fly my mustang in the heat of battle this weekend. My club had a combat competiton loosely based around the battle of the Pacific. We had two rectangles spray painted on opposite ends of the field to stand in as aircraft carriers. One for the Japanese Akagi and one for the American Yorktown. There were balloons suspended on string above the carriers, blue ones over the Yorktown and red ones over the Akagi. Lined up on either side of the carriers were volunteers with paintball machineguns to simulate antiaircraft fire to shoot at any aircraft brave enough to venture after the balloons. The combat planes were divided into two teams, and red streamers were attached to the planes on the Japanese side and blue streamers were attached to the planes on the American side. Points were scored in the following categories. Cuting an opponents streamer, poping a balloon over the opponents carrier, and at the end of each combat session, points could be had by accurately landing on your carrier. It was a hoot and great fun was had by both participants and spectators. competition. They were all very impressed with how much of a beating the plane could take and still hang in there.

Sound like a real hoot! I love the paintball gunners idea!
Old 08-15-2006, 12:09 AM
cccdad

I must be a brick builder when it comes to combat planes.

In April I built 3 GP mustangs for a local contest "Bushwacked" I was able to keep 1 in one piece for the contest. On my first cut I took the streamer at the string and stalled the motor. The plane came in hard and you can see the results for yourself at : [link]http://rcbushpilots.com[/link] and click on combat photos. I attribute my demise to the small wing on the mustang (plus weight = high wing load) It was a bear to launch but an absolute bullet in the air.

The good news is Im back to try 2610 combat again. I built 2 GP Corsairs this time. I have made some strength mods but still come in at under 3 lbs. The lighter wing loading feels much better on the hand launch. I fly the FX 25 with a 10X4 and they do not lack for speed.

The best part is after I figured out my mods the second plane came together in about 8 hrs complete. Once I know if they help significantly in combat I'll post them here.

Maybe I'll see you in West Palm Beach FL for another "Bushwacked"
Old 08-18-2006, 07:39 PM
glowplug50

Well, I finally finished my Corsair today. Maiden tomorrow at our club warbird meet.
OS 32. 6 oz Hayes tank, Dual servos on the elevator, metal gears on the ailreons, no rudder (hope I don't regret it, Nelson Ultra thrust muffler. Engine peaked to 18,200 out of the box. I will richen it up a little so it can unload and break in in the air. Low end seems to be perfect out of the box.Ultracote Safety Yellow and some kinda of Ultracoe blue.
I built some wheel inserts to install just forward of the main spar in the wing and just outside of the gull bend. If I find I need them it will be a simple install, all up weight of wheel assemblies is 1 1/2 ounces for the pair. Hayes racinging wheel cut down to 2' diameter.
Had to make a special trip to the hobby store for a 270 mah battery that would fit up at the front behind the fire wall. Amazing, with a 32 it was still just a bit tail heavy. I cut my own graphics and I know it represents no real airplane, but it shoud fool most of the people out there. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.
You can see that I photographed it on top of a trash can, could be a bad sign.
DD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60296.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	509318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46090.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	509319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72377.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	509320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87694.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	509321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26448.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	509322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg63440.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	509323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln12170.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	509324  
Old 08-18-2006, 07:53 PM
borisp

Looks great, wish you luck! Btw, if you empty your trashcan before the flight, the curse will be removed!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:52 PM
glowplug50

Thanks Boris, as is with all of us Rc'ers, you are the eternal optomist!
DD
Old 08-18-2006, 09:01 PM
gumhead

I really dont see how those wheels are going to work. There is no clearance for the prop...
Old 08-18-2006, 09:11 PM
glowplug50

Just for landing Bubba, just for landing.
DD
Old 08-18-2006, 11:02 PM
cochinito77

where are the wheeks attatched to? the servo bays? the "V" of the gull wing???
Old 08-19-2006, 04:35 AM
glowplug50

They will be just in front of the main spar, just outboard of the gull with the wheels as close to the joint as possible so as to get maximum clearance wih as little wheel hanging out as possible Just slot the wing so the wheel can fit inside and screw the plate down on to the wing. You will have to shim under the outbaoard side of the axel retainer to compensate for the angle of the wing. I used a piece of 1/8 inch light ply and it looked about right. I also drilled a few lightning holes in everything to try and keep the weight down.
DD
Old 08-19-2006, 08:03 AM
glowplug50

Well, I could'nt sleep so I went ahead and installed these things in the wing so you can see where I put them. I hope it does'nt ruin the profile in the air.
AS you can see, it is giving me almost an inch of clearance on the wing itself and about 3/4 of an inch on the aileron servo.
I used 3/32 aircraft ply, but I had to releive the back side of the wood to get it to conform to the airfoil. so you might want to start with 1/16 and it will probably bend nicley and still give you the support it needs.
DD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40226.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	509548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60805.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	509549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76902.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	509550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52099.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	509551  
Old 08-19-2006, 03:12 PM
glowplug50

The little Corsair fly's like it was made too. 1 click of down elevator and 1 click right aileron, nice. It ook 3 flights to get the control throws down to a comfortable level for full throttle flight. Only problem was I forgot to switch back to high rates for the last landing. I had the elevator stick bending to try and keep the nose up but whoops, too late. It took quite a bounce and came down fairly hard on the botom of the cowl. A little glass on the inside should make it as good as new. The wheels worked out just fine although they did'nt get used on the last landing!. This plane slows way down for landing and does not seem to want to snap at low speed. I had the flaperons programed in but did not use them. I imagine its moving 120 to 130mph in level flight. The OS 32 really unloads in the air with the Nelson Ultrathrust muffler. You can really hear it twisting up when you pull on the elevator, Music! I think I might have made all the scale guys with their big exspensive war birds nervous.
DD
Old 08-21-2006, 09:08 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

I maidened mine today. Of course you might recall that I'm the one who glassed the fuse, and covered the wings with Sig coverall...and went electric too. I am happy to say that my flight report is identical to the above report from glowplug50. I am getting around 12 minutes of flight time at half to full stick. I mounted the servos in the top of the wing, and made an access panel on the top so as not to have to remove the wing after each flight for charging.

I am very happy with the Corsair. It flies solid and is FAST! Slows for landing nicely and the elevator remained effective all the way to the ground. On low rates. Vertical is awesome! And there is NO cleanup involved after flying it. Sweet.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:52 AM
glowplug50

Way to go Aeronaut. These are really neat little airplanes. My low rate elevator is less than 1/8 of an inch and the aileron is about an eigth. I dialed it in like this so at full throttle I can roll it up and pull full elevator for a nice tight pylon turn. The ailerons, even at this rate were still a bit quick. Problem is that when you slow down these settings are not enough to keep the nose out of the dirt. It (me) made one heck of a bounce infrront of way too many witmesses. .
Enjoy
DD
Old 08-22-2006, 03:00 PM
jcflysrc

My low rates are set as recommended, and all surfaces were effective as it slowed for landing. I am also set up with 15% expo on all surfaces. I can't imagine flying this thing on high rates. It is plenty responsive on low. Mine came in a little over 3lbs. The roll rate on mine is quick too, but I like it that way. Loops are as big as I want them to be. Inverted required a small amount of down elevator. I added some finger slots to the belly pan to make hand launching easier. It worked beautifully. The wing servos were mounted on top, with just the control horn exposed, so I should be able to avoid servo damage on landings. I made an access hatrch on top too, so I can remove or install the battery without removing the wing each time. Mt set-up is as follows:
Eflite Power 25
Eflite 40 amp ESC
2 TP 2100 lipo packs
APC 12x8E
Berg 4L Micro Stamp Rx

I did not build mine with the rudder option, however I might at some point in time do the install. Right now I am just going to fine tune it like it is, but that won't take much since it really flew very true and solid. Up lines are fast and straight, so are the down lines. No tendancy to roll out of loops either. So it is pretty close right now. I would post a pic if I could, cause it sure looks nice. I painted it with Model Masters paint, and found a pilot at the LHS that looks right at home under that canopy. One of the old timers at the LHS said I should go glow with it, and that I was making a mistake by trying to convert it. Let me just say, if you are thinking of doing the conversion on this plane, DO IT! You won't be dissapointed.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:30 PM
jmupilot

Well I bit the bullet and now own a GP Combat Corsair !!! I plan on using a K&B 3.5 RE Ducted fan engine with the the can muffler that comes with the aero engine. Hopefully it will get into the air this weekend. I changed the elevator push rod right of the bat as it looked a little on the tiny side for a ship that would get up on the hi speed side of flying. I'l let you all know how it flys.

Pete
Old 08-23-2006, 07:18 AM
glowplug50

If you are really going to put the juice to this plane you might want to read this entire thread. There were reports of horizontal stabs as well as elevator halves breaking.
Since I recovered mine I glued .007 x 1/4" strips the full length of the stab and also the elevators, on the bottom so they would not show. This really stiffened them up. I don't know if it was overkill or not. I replaced the original elevator pushrod tube and wire wih a solid 2/56 wire and tube and installed another just like it and put in two elevator sercos. This eliminated the joiner wire in the thin elevater material. I sealed the gaps on the elevators as well as the ailerons.
Even with these mods I still back out of the throttle in the down vetical lines. Good luck.
DD
Old 08-27-2006, 09:02 PM
jmupilot

OK got the Cosair ready to fly. But I got to tell ya it seems a little awkward when I pick it up and think about hand laundhing. The K&B 3.5 is plenty strong and it will hover right out of my hand. I have plent experience hand launching other planes but the fuse is so fat and just doesn't fit the hand well. I bet it's really going to get hairy when the oil is all over the plane from previous flights. Maybe I'm just a little too cautious and it will be fine. I'll give a flight report when the deed is done.. All up weight is 2.75 lbs.
Any comments about landing on grass and draging the aileron servo arms?

Pete
Old 08-27-2006, 11:39 PM
jcflysrc

I moved my servos to the top of the wing and don't worry about it anymore. Since mine is electric, oil is not a problem. However i did make some finger slots in the bottom of the belly pan right on the CG. It will practically fly out of my hand.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:24 AM
glowplug50

If your Corsair is really only 2 3/4 pounds thats great. Have you checked your CG?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:10 PM
jmupilot

I had check'd the CG yesterday and rechecked today, it was a little tailheavy. I had to put a Higley spinner nut on to get it right. Re-checked the weight and its now at 2 lbs 14oz's. Raining here, so wont get to test fly it for a few days. I think its going to be just fine. I cant wait to see the Cosair on a low hi-speed fly-by. I have a Sig Wonder with a 25 in it so I have something to compare it to. A couple of other club members have the Mustang they have OS 25 FX in thiers. They are speed demons and roll so fast you just punch out and correct. Hope the Cosair is close to them in speed but with the big ol' radial cowl it may not be quite there. I think the K&B 3.5 DF engine is a lot lighter than the OS's their running so maybe I'll gain something in speed with mine being a little lighter. I'm running a MA 9x4 prop now just for the thrust. I'll play with props and see what makes it tick.

Pete
Old 08-28-2006, 08:16 PM
glowplug50

Glad you rechecked it. Everyone else is adding nose weight. I have a 32 in mine and the 270 mah nicad is right behind the firewall.
dd
Old 08-29-2006, 01:15 PM
nexxa

I flew mine yesterday. Maiden flight. Everything come out good (trim, speed, wheels, cg)
We don't do combat at our club, just sport flying. So I decide to modified the wing a little bit to accept a landing gear. Traditionnal installation. Two 1/8" ply between ribs, a 1" x 3/8" hard wood block and epoxy to maintain the rod wheel in place. I put a micro servo in the open tray for the rudder, run a control rod for the tail wheel.
Final weight 3 lbs 4oz.

Here the video: [link=http://207.96.235.218/videos/sebastien/GP_Corsair_1.wmv]Maiden flight video[/link]
Old 08-29-2006, 02:07 PM
borisp

Great video nexxa, thanks! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.