Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 02:11 PM
longdan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

I think most people are flying these as sport planes rather than combat planes.
As for why would someone put a .46 into a .25 plane? Because you can.

But I do tend to agree that a .25 is enough engine. The specs say they are for .15-.25. I think they would be a bit weak with a .15.
I guess if speed is what floats your boat, then the more engine the better. Just look at planes like Q500 racers. They fly fine with a .25 as well as a screaming .40.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:11 PM
corvett

Well said .
Old 12-10-2008, 02:29 PM
borisp

Guys, wake up! Look what's coming up!

[link]http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1479.html[/link]

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVVG5&P=ML[/link]
Old 12-26-2008, 12:00 AM
skippyspad

Just finished the assembly of my Corsair. The OS .25 engine should be here soon. I put a set of wire landing gear under her and a steerable tail wheel. Pictures to follow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79676.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1096702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51431.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1096703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34268.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1096704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79210.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1096705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg54252.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1096706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eu22059.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1096707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df74531.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1096708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Po48974.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1096709  

Old 01-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Textanker

Did anyone else have to add a lot of weight to the nose? I have a .25fx and I have had to add about 3oz of weight to the nose to get it to balance properly. It also has wire LG. and a tailwheel, but I can't image the tailwheel wire and wheel to make that much of a difference.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 PM
longdan

I had to put several ounces of nose weight in mine. I'm running as ASP .25 (OS clone). I made the rudder work which added the weight of a servo and pushrod behind the CG which wouldn't have helped things.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:59 PM
borisp

Stock setup with .25 FX, no LG, no rudder - no additional nose weight needed.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:23 PM
longman

im kinda amazed this thread was started 3 years ago
Old 03-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Samson4721

this thread is huge, I read through what I could but couldn't answer my question. What would be your guys opinion of one of these planes as a 2nd plane? I was leaning towards the p-47 or corsair. I have an O.S. .25 FP lying around I could use... Any opinions would be appreciated thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 PM
frednjess

You need someone to launch it for you and it can be interesting on launch. It's got alot of torque and tends to roll over a bit on takeoff. You could have it as a second plane if you're really good with your trainer.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Samson4721

well I would definately modify to put on gear on. anyone have a comparetive idea of which is the most stable flier?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:53 AM
frednjess

The Corsair is plenty stable. The P-47 might be easier to add gear to, just because of the gull wing on the Corsair.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:46 PM
VeeAte

I have a spare Saito FA-50 4 stroke.

Am guessing this engine would weigh too much for this size plane?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2009, 02:33 PM
longdan

Yeah, a .50 4 stroke would probably weigh it down a bit much, though it would sound cool.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Macrizzleh2

They are fairly easy to fly but they can be a bit squirly in the air. I would recommend flying a low wing trainer before getting one of these, but get one eventually, they are alot of fun!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:29 PM
corbystarlet11

Hey Everyone

I have a os32 2 stroke laying around i need to put in a plane, then i found this combat corsair which is really cheap, dose any one think the 32 will be a perfect match? as in will it balance perfect? and is it easy to launch by your self or should i get someone to help me? i also have on of those flycamone 2's which i use alot, could it fit somewhere on this plane as i see its a belly lander i don't think its a good idea to put under the wing. i offten put alot of my vids on Youtube. My user name is Corbystarlet11 if anyone wants to check em' out

Thanks
Darcy
Old 04-10-2009, 11:37 PM
corvett

The guy I fly with has an OS32 in his combat corsair . Balance is not a problem . I fly on OS 46 in my combat corsair . the speed is not that much different between the two planes . As you have probably noticed if you have read the volumes in this whole thread , these planes can be kind of SCARY !!!!!!!! on take off . Once you get the knack though They are not bad at all . The scare factor goes up as the engine size goes up . The big thing to watch out for is a snap roll to the left on take off . Don't try to launch it by yourself , at leasat until you get it trimmed out and you know what its going to do . This is my favorite plane , as it is fast , stable , fast ,strong, fast and did I mention fast? Both of our corsairs did several snaps in to the ground on takeoffs until we got it figgered out and they both took a pretty good beating and came back for more . Definitly not a first , or second airplane . I have writtin a couple of times previously in this thread how we have gotten succesful with our launches , so I won't pester everyone with the same info again and again . I belive not everything works for everybody , but all that have tried our way have done well . By the way there was one daring aviator that had trouble with the snap roll on take off earlier in this thread . He launched his corsair inverted and that worked . As I said , not everything works for everybody . I understand not everybody likes to run the larger engines in this plane and thats fine , to each his own .
Old 04-11-2009, 06:53 AM
longdan

The physical size and shape makes it a bit awkward to launch by yourself. I launch it myself if there is no one else there to do it, but will always enlist a helper if there is one around. But - the helper needs to know how to handlaunch properly. Just tossing it into the air isn't enough. It won't be up to flying speed. The launcher needs to take a few good long strides as they launch it. Even then, mine is on the point of stalling until it picks up some speed, which I overcome by sort of diving it from the shoulder height its launched at to within a couple of feet of the ground, then its away and climbing.
The left snap roll can be a plane killer. And the ailerons aren't very effective at low launch speed, and if you're too heavy handed on them at launch, it will cause a tip stall.
I added a rudder to mine which helps a lot. My method of launching by myself is to apply full right rudder trim prior to launch, then push the throttle up to full against my thigh and take a couple of long strides and launch. I hold the plane in my left hand just behind the trailing edge between thumb and forefinger using my little and ring fingers to support it under the belly pan.
Watch out for the face full of exhaust that you will get, and be careful if your wearing sunglasses because they can get splattered with oil from the exhaust making them hard to see out of.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 1/12th scale Corsair is a great flying airplane with a good .25 (FP, FX, AX) and easy to hand launch using the underhand launch. I still have 8 Zigg'z Corsairs I flew in the 2000 NATS.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:10 PM
ETOWNE

I would like to start off by say hi to all the RCU'ers. I joined today just to discuss this plane  and put in my 2 cents. I don't have one yet, my fly buddy does. After reading this thread today, I seen some one had posted a link to GP on the Thunder Bolt, that's what I'll be ordering tomorrow. I plan on putting an OS FS-30 Surpass Ringed 4-Stroke on it. That's what we put on my buddy's corsair. I like the sound with the included muffler. It makes good sound that's not obnoxious, there is a TOO loud. I started flying last Sept. on electrics . All I have done is flown 3d until recently. I maidened the Corsair w/ fs30 4-stroke last week for my friend, for that fact , I'm the only one who has flown it. I fell in love with it. The plane is pretty small for  flying just about anywhere,yet flew much bigger. I like the flight time we got out of it. The power was enough to pull vertical for along time, almost until the plane was to small.  It fly's inverted very well. Just a fun plane to fly !  We put landing pads on the wings at the bend of the wing, haven't had any problems with the servo's wihen landing.  The only problem I've have had is, when the motor is just started, I can kill it with the stick. Just brely but the motor is cold. After flying it, I pull the stick all the way down, take out almost all the trim and still,   Booomb.............................booomb......... ...................................boooomb........ .......................booooomb........That 4 stroker idles at what seems like 100 Rpm Runs really well..We have already discussed streamer combat, we're in. A few others at the field have taken alot of interest in the Corsair and talked about getting a  combat competition going. Great little scale plane, electric could be called a parkflyer no problem. I will post pictures when I get the Thunder Bolt done. I am gonna have to look at Ram products for machine gun sound, hook up on a seperate channel. The guys at the field were cracking up while I was sitting in a chair, flying the Corsair, and making gun sounds coming down on the deck. They're gonna think I've lost it if I continue this kind of Behavior....lol
Old 06-11-2009, 06:14 AM
ETOWNE

Here's some video of my friends corsair from saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l70h_EZ7xFY[y
Old 06-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Mr. Mugen

Nice! I am building my P-51 right now and am planning on using one of these OS26fs's on it. That plane sounds great with it! I know it's the 30 but basically the same. Did you use a 2 blade prop? Which one?

Kevin
Old 06-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Mr. Mugen

Any chance of pic of the install?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Mr. Mugen

So is the CG for the mustang at 2-1/4" (57mm) or the updated 3.1" (79mm) as stated on towers site? If it is the 3.1 I am screwed...or my plane is. It weighs 2lbs 3ozs dry with a 800 mah 2s lipo, berg 4 rx, 2 hs-82mg servo's and a os26fs up front with a 9x6 MAS. I didn't even check it at 2.25" yet. I thought since it was updated that there was an error in the manual. Checking the other now. Hoping it is 2.25......

Kevin
Old 07-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Textanker

I currently own the Corsair, Spitfire and the P47. I love them all. Two of my buddies have the P51 and P40. We don't do combat, we race. Initially I was running the OS .25 FX in my Corsair and Spitfire. My buddy showed up at the field with his P-40 with a 25FX, and we had a great time racing around the field. Well, then buddy #2 shows up with his P51 with an OS .32 with a Ultrathrust muffler. His plane is so fast its ridiculous. So now we have a war of technology to see who can get faster. I secretly mounted an OS 35AX in my Spit, but it still isnt as fast as the P51 with the .32 and ultrathrust muffler. Sooo, I have stripped the Spit and am in the process of recovering it with lightweight fiberglass and putting the aileron servos in the wings for a bit less drag. I also plan on purchashing a Jett muffler to give it even more rpms. We also discovered the perfect props - APC 8x7.

I will be the fastest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.