Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

My first experience with combat planes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

My first experience with combat planes

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 07:48 PM
vwtrey
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first experience with combat planes

hi guys,

I was at the flying field today, and a guy brought out a combat plane. Man, that thing was great. Flew pretty fast, handled good, and tough as nails! I'm really thinking about trying one of these some day.

I looked around on here to see if I could find a plane like the one he had. So far, no luck. The fuselage on his was made of pretty hard plastic, or something similar. Had a triangle on the front of it for landings. I'd describe it better, but I cant. Any clue as to what it might have been?

trey
Old 07-02-2006, 08:01 PM
vwtrey

Default RE: My first experience with combat planes

This is it, i found this in a thread a few pages back. Any idea what this is? can you put a landing gear on something like this?

Old 07-02-2006, 08:39 PM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

The plane in the picture is a Wasp, designed by Ron Horton from Billings Montana. It is now kitted by Chet Carpenter from Fruitland Idaho. His e-mail address is [email protected].
Old 07-02-2006, 10:51 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrong answer Yankee....that is a Lanier Slasher........foam wing, coroplast tailgroup, and HDPP fuselage!
Old 07-03-2006, 12:53 AM
The Internet Killer

Yuppers that looks like a Slasher. ( Just sold the Slasher kit I had to a club member
hoping it will improve Thurs. nite combat, also it would have become an orphan to
me as I have bought a 3 pack of avengers. Here is a link to them.

http://www.teamseaholm.com/
Old 07-03-2006, 11:59 AM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

I stand corrected.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Fred420
My Feedback: (1)

You need a Battle Axe .... go to: http://www.treneffrc.com/default.asp

Easy build and it is tough. Landing gear??? Belly land it.

Fred
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20675.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	486576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60410.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	486577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51427.jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	486578  
Old 07-06-2006, 09:21 AM
rrh

The Seahoam Avenger kit is another one very similar to your pic.

Landing gear on one of these? NEVER [>:]

r
Old 07-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Either way, see if you can get some folks to go along with ya flying one so you can play combat, it is quite a rush. If the Avenger or Battle Axe are a little expensive for you to sell, build some SPAD Dogfighters and hand out a couple, cost of materials will get you quite a fleet for the Avenger but it won't be much use to you on a National scale. Then again, if your just trying to get some club combat going, SPAD is a cheap way to get going.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:28 PM
vwtrey

Thanks for the help guys. Im a new guy to flying, but I talked to one of the guys at the field who has one. He said that his flies pretty calm with lower throttle. I think I will look into getting one.

The reason that I asked about landing gear, is because hand launching honestly scares me for some reason. Seems like I'd have a heck of a time if I was by myself and tried it, but I'm sure I could get over it. Thanks again!

trey
Old 07-06-2006, 09:38 PM
rrh

Hand launching is way easier than ROG IMO. No ground driving needed I can hardly take one off the ground, I am so used to hand launching [:@]

The combat planes fly wonderfully! We couldn't do what we do if they were hard to fly [X(] About 5 years ago I went straigt from trainers to combat ships and the ensuing addiction. Anything but combat is....well....let's say relaxing

r
Old 07-08-2006, 05:59 AM
aimmaintenance

Gotta agree with the above post. Hand launching is a snap. Way easier in my opinion than ROG. Have someone do it for you the first few times until the plane is trimmed out good and then try it yourself. I always do it by myself now but the first few times I had someone else throw it for me.
Just hold the TX in your left hand with throttle wide open. Hold the plane overhand with your right. (I'm assuming you are right handed) Don't run or nothin just give it a hard spearlike throw straight out or maybe up just a touch. You really do have plenty of time to get your right hand on the sticks.
Some guys just do a left hand underhand FLICK so to speak but I don't recomend this. The slower initial airspeed can cause problems. Overhand is the way to go.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Capn America
My Feedback: (3)

I do it exactly backwards from that. I throw overhand with the left keeping my right on the stick. Bump the trottle with my chin and throw. Never have to have a hand off the contoll that way. Have to launch the avenger underhand since there is not a great one had hold for it but the new fence pot fuse avenger I made has a good grip on the bottom.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Montague

Personally, I always throw left-handed underhand. But I don't just flick it, I give a step or two and a good, hard arm swing, esp when throwing in a tail wind. (I was flying over the weekend with about a 10mph dead tailwind on launch, no problems at all). Part of the reason I use this throw is to avoid having to juggle the plane and transmitter while the engine is running. I find it awkward to get under the plane and get it up over my head.

Now, there are guys who basically just let go of the plane, or just use a wrist flick, and let it fly away. That works most of the time, but can be a problem, so I don't do it.

I also design my planes to have a good hand grip when held from the top, and use no-skid on the scale fuses. Some planes you just can't throw underhand since there's nothing to grab. And there are some planes that don't work overhand either.

no matter which technique you use, the key is to get airspeed. Throw basically level or slightly nose up.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:42 AM
aimmaintenance

I guess a big thing is the design of the plane. My planes have nothing on top to grab. Some combat ships such as a flying wing have nothing on the bottom. Considering Montague's post I will say that either way is ok and do whichever suits you and the plane you fly. Either way is a piece of cake though so don't be worried about it.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Clean

Nice thing about combat planes is they are high powered and designed to be fairly stable. Oh, they'll turn on a dime but set up correctly the roll rate isn't too fast and there is lots of rudder to straighten things out with. After all, with a couple streamers on a wingtip it has to be able to fly semi straight. So pointing it in the relatively right direction and giving it a toss the airplane itself should fairly much straigthen itself out. For a test flight, have someone else give it a toss.

AJ used to fly his pre-avenger in the club funflys and almost always one the climb and glide. That darn thing'll float on thermals you know.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:58 PM
vwtrey

Just another quick question. I'm getting ready to buy one soon, I cant stop thinking about it. anyway.

Do you guys use micro recievers, or servos, or is it all standard stuff? Also, can anyone recommend an engine for me? thanks!

trey
Old 07-18-2006, 08:50 PM
vwtrey

it might be helpful if i tell you which one i plan on getting, huh?

[link=http://www.teamseaholm.com/rccombat/SSCinfo.htm]http://www.teamseaholm.com/rccombat/SSCinfo.htm[/link]

trey
Old 07-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Clean

Didn't look it over, but ask AJ he'll tell ya what's hot lately. I think he's running 25 FX's but that's the last time I looked. It's a bulletproof engine and you really can't go wrong with it. There are other, 'high output' engines that are finicky for even engine men and they really aren't worth the effort that the 25FX will do you. Certainly HS-85s are equivalent will be fine for the plane, but with that much wing I don't see how full size standard servos would be too much problem. I used to run micros on my scale ships, but there you are limited by wingarea and every bit of weight counts.

Contact AJ AND check out the Team Seaholm forum that you'll find on the home page. He's good people and has a good product. But that probably goes for all the guys selling planes right now. Too many good competitors to be a stinker.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Fred420

Before you purchase that plane, go to :

http://www.treneffrc.com/default.asp

Look at the Battle Axe .......... at the Nat's, it did very well. It is more forgiving in an impact whether it was a mid-air or a ground flop. This plane is very durable......and very easy to build.

More flyers use this plane than anyother.

Fred420
AKA: "that red-headed step-child"

Name:	Pm35078.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	493453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94048.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	493454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78138.jpg
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	493455  
Old 07-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Fred420

More pictures

Name:	Yw68459.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	493458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42204.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	493459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11664.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	493460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45585.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	493461  
Old 07-18-2006, 09:43 PM
vwtrey

Fred, I just got done reading some on the battleaxe page, and found some helpful info. I like the idea of something tough, and easy to build. Do you use the recommended OS .15?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:50 AM
aimmaintenance

If I were you I would run the .25 instead of the .15 for your first combat plane. You will likely build heavy and the .25 can handle weight better. I can use all full size gear in my 25 size planes and end up around 3.25 .lbs. My 15 (ssc) planes with all full size gear end up close to 3 and fly kinda sluggish . The 25 planes in my opinion are just more enjoyable to fly with the added power. Also it seems that the .25s are less finicky than the 15s.
I've built a few 25s that ended up around 3.75 pounds and still flew nicely
Old 07-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Fred420

If I were you I would run the .25 instead of the .15 for your first combat plane. You will likely build heavy and the .25 can handle weight better. I can use all full size gear in my 25 size planes and end up around 3.25 .lbs. My 15 (ssc) planes with all full size gear end up close to 3 and fly kinda sluggish . The 25 planes in my opinion are just more enjoyable to fly with the added power. Also it seems that the .25s are less finicky than the 15s.
I've built a few 25s that ended up around 3.75 pounds and still flew nicely
The SSC Class is NOT sluggish. Are you familiar with the Battle Axe? How much combat time do you have? If you build to 3lbs. then you are building too heavy. Flight ready, I am at 2lbs 9oz. 1oz over min weight. You do not need full size servo's. The Hitec HS81MG are great for all functions. That is what most pilots are using. This plane will fly 55mph. in tight, close combat. Speed is not everything, how fast can you turn manuver is the key. Do Not be fooled into thinking that .15 are sluggish.

Go to: http://www.rccombat.com/index.asp That is the RCCA for all combat info and more knowledge on SSC class. Great forums.

Dave Davis
AKA: "that red-headed step-child"

Old 07-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Montague

Fwiw, my SSC planes come in right at 2.5 lbs. A 3lb SSC plane is way over weight, and won't fly well. It's not hard to build an SSC plane to the right weight if you start with a good kit and follow the instructions. The Battle Axe is good, the Avenger is good, both fly well, and there are several others out there. I forget what it's called, but Hattrick's SSC plane is hard to beat. It's a fence post variation, but I'm not sure what the wing is.

As for servos, on my SSC planes I use 2 cheap standard servos and 1 HS-81 for throttle.

I disagree that the battle axe is the most popular design, but that's a nitpick, one way or another.
(I do know that I like flying against them, since my Rapier gets inside them pretty easily ).

As far as .15 size engines, I think most guys are using the OS .15LA. Personally, I prefer the Magnum .15 for a number of reasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.